Traffic - No. 1 killer in the world - eMBe {P}
The following report coutesy of todays D. Tel. (full copyright and other rights acknowledged).

"Traffic is No 1 global killer

Traffic kills four times as many people as wars and far more commit suicide than are murdered, the World Health Organisation said yesterday.

The United Nations agency said injuries killed more than five million people in 2000, one tenth of global deaths. Nearly 90 per cent of injury-related deaths took place in poorer countries.

Road deaths, totalling 1.26 million, claimed the highest number of victims, followed by suicide at 815,000 and "inter-personal violence" at 520,000.

Wars and conflict ranked sixth, between poisoning and falls, with 310,000 deaths."

Traffic - No. 1 killer in the world - NorthernKev {P}
It was the Potter's Bar rail accident anniversary I think on Friday, and you had total media coverage on remembering 10 or so people killed a year ago.
Now without trying to be disrespectful to those of family or friends, it annoys me that 10 people have died on trains in a year and you get most people on TV condemming the 'shabolic' state of our railways, but no mention of the 10 or so people killed every day on the roads, hmm...

Unless my maths fails me, Britain was roughly responsible for 0.27% of all road deaths. Rather low in its self really...

Kev
Traffic - No. 1 killer in the world - dave18
Simple manipulation of statistics by those against cars.
Traffic - No. 1 killer in the world - Ian (Cape Town)
In the past week, we've had 50 die when a bus drove into a dam; 13 dead as two minibusses head-on'd; another 13 when a minibus 'went airborne' at a t-junction ...
Yep, the joys of local traffic deaths - 10 000 a year, and unless (a) 10 die; or (b) the dead are famous, nothing even makes the news ...
Traffic - No. 1 killer in the world - dave18
How does a bus 'drive into a dam'??
God, I wish I was joking ... but I'm not.
The driver, who was among the dead, had apparently taken a wrong turn and plunged down a steep dirt road into the dam.
For the tragic story, read here.

www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=13&art_i...0
Traffic - No. 1 killer in the world - Altea Ego
Yes but in that part of the world, how many get killed by
industrial accidents, natural disasters, and crime related incidents each year?
Yes but in that part of the world, how many get
killed by
industrial accidents, natural disasters, and crime related incidents each year?

Quite a lot, but no more as a %age than most nations.
There were figures in the press the past few days that the two biggest causes of death here are traffic accidents and HIV-AIDS.
Having seen how reckless people are [yes, in that way as well] it doesn't surprise me.
Traffic - No. 1 killer in the world - Marcos{P}
Per head I think Portugal comes in very near the top but anyone who thinks european driving habbits are bad should drive through france and spain for a couple of months and then come back home to Blighty.
We are the worst drivers in europe bar none. We have no respect for other road users, no awareness, silly police that pull you for minor speeding on empty motorways and still we think everyone else drives like idiots.
Traffic - No. 1 killer in the world - dan
I'm a litle confused. Is this suggesting the average global citizen is more likely to be killed from an RTA than cancer, cardiovascular disease or malaria?? (25,000 deaths/day) Old age?