N/A - VED on new cars - sammy1

Reading HJ agony column this week customer bought a new Ford Kuga and was shocked to find the first year tax is £830 on a 1.5 ltr and an unbelievable £1240 on a 2ltr diesel and the government wonder why sales are down. Nice to think that the people of the UK are saving the planet all on their own

N/A - VED on new cars - NARU

1. Its included in the 'on the road' price - so the big price is simply a one-off

2. Unless its over £40k, the ongoing road tax is just £140 - previously it may have been rather higher

3. Its hopefully doing the right thing, and encouraging people to buy smaller, more efficient cars. But if they do splurge and buy an inefficient car, at least it means it won't be scrapped before the end of its otherwise useful life simply because the road tax is too high.

All in all, I think its a good thing.

Edited by NARU on 10/11/2018 at 06:03

N/A - VED on new cars - NARU

Most of the reason that sales are down is due to manufacturers (especially the German companies who traditially have lots of variants) struggling to get them through the WLTP tests.

I'd like to think that people are finally learning that having new cars all the time on PCP isn't necessarily as great as it seems - but that seems unlikely.

N/A - VED on new cars - drd63
What has VED got to do with leasing. If the figures add up, and for many they do, there is nothing wrong with leasing.
Not sure new VED rules automatically equate to steering people to low emission cars. My 5.0l V8 only costs £140 a year.
N/A - VED on new cars - Andrew-T

I'd like to think that people are finally learning that having new cars all the time on PCP isn't necessarily as great as it seems - but that seems unlikely.

The makers will see to that. And as making and looking after cars is such a large part of the economy, so will the government.

Edited by Andrew-T on 10/11/2018 at 09:09

N/A - VED on new cars - Big John

and an unbelievable £1240 on a 2ltr diesel and the government wonder why sales are down.

That means the diesel has 171 - 190 g co2/km and doesn't achieve the new Real Driving Emissions standard 2. Ignoring RDE2 that's a high co2 figure for a new diesel and the £1240 is only for the first year - £140 after that (going up £5 in April)

www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax-rate-tables

The thing I find wrong is the fact that after the first year the Vehicle tax rate for cars registered after April 2017 can be the same for a Ford Mustang compared to a VW UP (as an example)

Edited by Big John on 10/11/2018 at 10:23

N/A - VED on new cars - drd63
I know it’s great isn’t it, maybe some people in government are car fans after all and good though some small triples sound a v8 sounds so much better.
N/A - VED on new cars - madf

Reading HJ agony column this week customer bought a new Ford Kuga and was shocked to find the first year tax is £830 on a 1.5 ltr and an unbelievable £1240 on a 2ltr diesel and the government wonder why sales are down. Nice to think that the people of the UK are saving the planet all on their own

Buyers who do no research before they buy and then complain afterwards and not worth listening to.

N/A - VED on new cars - Engineer Andy

Indeed - that's what I said on the comments below the report.

I'm still amazed at how so many people buy cars (likely the second most expensive thing they'll like to ever buy) after carrying out such little research (especially when quite a bit only takes a few minutes searching on the internet), or as seems to be the case quite often in the backroom (see today's thread about the 'SUV choice') completely disregard sound advice because (IMHO) that OP's ego wouldn't admit they've gone the wrong route to start with. Often we don't hear from them again.

N/A - VED on new cars - sammy1

OK I agree the original purchaser should have done some research on the VED and I wonder why it was not on the dealers invoice but who would expect such an eye watering tax on a car like a Kuga in the first place. The real issue here is the TAX on cars and like houses the affordability is moving further away from the average purchaser.

N/A - VED on new cars - oldroverboy.

OK I agree the original purchaser should have done some research on the VED and I wonder why it was not on the dealers invoice but who would expect such an eye watering tax on a car like a Kuga in the first place. The real issue here is the TAX on cars and like houses the affordability is moving further away from the average purchaser.

Well, let's have no tax on anything...

someone has explained why. wltp and that's it.

Buy a non harmonised vehicle.. pay more. by a £250000 ferrari pay £40000 in tax, simples,...

and I don't notice the Rolls Royce owners moaning about their ved...

N/A - VED on new cars - Happy Blue!

The irritating thing is that older cars have much higher VED than newer ones due to CO2 emissions. But the environmental impact of building a new car is far greater than keeping an older 'polluting' car on the road. VED for cars older than say seven years old should be kept very low.

N/A - VED on new cars - madf

The irritating thing is that older cars have much higher VED than newer ones due to CO2 emissions. But the environmental impact of building a new car is far greater than keeping an older 'polluting' car on the road. VED for cars older than say seven years old should be kept very low.

For older diesels VED should be quadrupled to drive them off the roads...

N/A - VED on new cars - RT

For older diesels VED should be quadrupled to drive them off the roads...

Politically impossible - older diesels are owned/used by those on lower incomes and those who live in the countryside - effectively taxing them out of city centres is adequate.

N/A - VED on new cars - corax

The VED should be spent on planting new woodland areas, millions of trees, no billions.