4x4=16? - Tynesider
What does 4x4 MEAN other than 16? I asked this question quite some time ago when the term "4x4" was quite new. I know what 4WD means but I am told by the dealers that I can only have 4x4 and that 4WD is obsolete.
DOH!
4x4=16? - NorthernKev {P}
Best discribed as the first 4 refers to the number of wheels it has, the second 4 refers to numbers of powered wheels. So 4x4s have 4 wheels and power all 4. I believe that trucks follow this code where you can have 6x2, 6x4, and so on, which are 6 wheels with 2 powered.
4 wheels drive says that 4 wheels are driven... Lol
I think your dealer was either silly or picky, as quite a lot of cars have selectable and/or variable 4 wheel drive.

Can shed no light on why the x, I guess it meant 'by' at some point, saw the old LandRover advert 'the best 4x4xFar' or similar.

Kev
4x4=16? - THe Growler
Your dealer is talking pink fluffy dice. 4WD is exactly that: 4 wheel drive. I was in the Ford showroom just this morning looking at their lovely new Lariats, all smartly emblazoned \"4WD\" on their flanks.
4x4=16? - PhilW
And don't Subarus have AWD on the back which presumeably means A Wheel Drive - but which one ???!! Is it switchable??
4x4=16? - Maz
That A stands for All Wheel Drive.

As a rule of thumb 4x4 tends to mean tall offroader. 4WD/AWD signifies mainly 4 wheel drive cars. Confusingly, not always the case though!
4x4=16? - Rob C
Whereas the average family car is BSD.
Back Seat Drive.
4x4=16? - THe Growler
To our ever-watchful Moderators: "bulldust" is not all what you thought and shame on you for thinking it. Bulldust is the deceptive red dust from Australian dirt roads that fills craters and potholes and make them look like solid earth until you hit them. Bulldust has thus taken its place in the vernacular as a term denoting deception.

At least it's an honest description and not a wiggle phrase like "pink fluffy dice".