U turn or round the block? - smallcar
Cycling home last night through central and suburban London I noted how many people were making u turns even on quite busy streets and often blocking the traffic while they do so (eg sitting in their lane at an angle waiting for the opposing carriage way to clear lights) . If I need to go back on myself I usually find a side road entrance to reverse around a corner into (as per the driving test) in or find a back road route to get me back where I am (ie a round about route). I just think trying to do a three point turn in busy traffic is frankly asking for trouble - eg other traffic not realising what you’re doing or cyclists nipping along behind you or in front as you’re looking the other way.

Are people just trying to save fuel or do they think it’s better than using a normal junction or side road? I just think it’s too risky. What do you do?

Edited by innerlondon on 11/08/2018 at 12:45

U turn or round the block? - badbusdriver

I see this a lot and it really irritates me. I could understand if the alternative to a u turn would involve great distance. But if it is just going to take a few minutes to go round the block, doing a u turn is just stupid, especially if, as is often the case, the driver in question is not very good at performing a u turn.

U turn or round the block? - RaineMan

There is a small village near here with a mini-supermarket of one of the main chains. It is quite busy traffic wise in the main commuting/school run times. Despite parking nearby many choose to park illegally to pop into the shop. The same people then instead of going to the roundabout at the end of the high street do multi-point turns.

U turn or round the block? - Engineer Andy

I see this a lot and it really irritates me. I could understand if the alternative to a u turn would involve great distance. But if it is just going to take a few minutes to go round the block, doing a u turn is just stupid, especially if, as is often the case, the driver in question is not very good at performing a u turn.

Not helped by the increasing number of cars these days with very poor turning circles - perhaps due to more having larger and larger wheel and (wider) tyre combos for the size of car which can only turn so far in the wheel well without touching the sides or suspension components?

Also the people who don't seem to care that pedestrians are walking on the pavement and will have to quickly get out of the way when inevitably the vehicle mounts the kerb, or risks wiping them out when the front/back end swings out over the pavement.

U turn or round the block? - nellyjak

I'm definitely a "round the block" sorta guy...U turn if you want to...but it's not for me.

U turn or round the block? - Bolt

I'm definitely a "round the block" sorta guy...U turn if you want to...but it's not for me.

So am I, but there are a lot of drivers who do not know there way around and get lost easy, so I am not so sure they are just lazy, maybe havent a clue where they are going

I know someone who has difficulty driving in town but cannot use a satnav as its too difficult to program and this is within a mile of where they live?

U turn or round the block? - Quadratica

If it's clear and safe then U-turn, else round the block. I think many people who do it are lazy

If it's clear and safe then U-turn, else round the block. I think many people who do it are lazy

We are talking London here, some sideroads are oneway systems and take you miles out of your way and full of speed humps/cushions, though it does depend where in London which the OP didn`t mention

U turn or round the block? - smallcar
It was a route from Angel down to Brixton.
It was a route from Angel down to Brixton.

Says it all really, motorists unlike cyclists do not have the freedom of movement bikes do, and can go almost anywhere they please including the wrong way through one way streets.

I am not having a go at cyclists even though it sounds like it, its just so many no entry/one way streets/narrow streets, its difficult unless you know where your going, to find a road that can take you where you need to go without taking you a long way from where you want to go

So unless they cause a problem I do not blame them for doing it, I`m not saying its right, but councils do not make it easy now for motorists going about their business, they are more in favour of cyclists now than they used to be..

U turn or round the block? - badbusdriver

No such one way issues where i am (Peterhead, N,E Scotland), and the 'blocks' in question are not that big, but it goes on. I have actually seen folk doing a u turn at the top of my own street next to a mail box. To set the scene, the road going past the top of mine is quite a busy one. To the left the road is pretty wide and reasonably open, but to the right it is narrower by about 6' with a narrow pavement and a house right on the corner, so vehicles turning on to my street from that direction have no view till they are midway round the corner (this is exacerbated by the fact that turning on to my street from that direction is slightly more than 90 degrees). But go down the street 70m or so, turn right, then again 20m later and you get back to the same main road!.

U turn or round the block? - galileo

if going clockwise round our local ring road, in order to get to the Police station Police vehicles do a U turn at a set of lights about 80 yards past it.

The alternative would be a 'round the block' of over a mile and 2 sets of lights.