Backfiring on the overrun - bathtub tom

A modern Mini near me is regularly heard backfiring on the overrun. I would have thought that as all modern cars are injected and the fuel would be cut off on the overrun backfiring wouldn't be possible?

Backfiring on the overrun - hardway

Probably a leaking exhaust manifold,

There's still a certain amount of fuel in exhaust gas hence Cat's.

As the manifold is pre cat air leaking in creates a combustion with hot exhaust gas/fuel.

Probably nothing like I remember from way back,

A single cylinder BSA had this so bad it could knock a pint glass of a nearby oudoor bar table!!

Owner loved this so it went on for a good time.

Backfiring on the overrun - gordonbennet

Depending on model this may be quite deliberate.

Mate's wife is on her 4th fast MINI, another John Cooper works jobbie, in one of the sport settings the exhaust pops and bangs, this is by design.

Backfiring on the overrun - badbusdriver

Years ago working at a Saab dealer i remember being shown how Saab's of a certain era could be made to backfire extravagently, though it was pointed out to me that attempting to do this on a car without a stainless steel exhaust could prove unwise!. As far as i recall it, while driving along dip the clutch, give a few good hard presses on the throttle, switch the engine off then back on again, then, BOOM!. Not very sensible i know, but pretty funny to my juvenile mind. One time i was getting a lift home from a mechanic in his old 99 and he did it as we approached a young man walking along the side of the road, well the poor chap actually dived to the ground, probably thinking a bomb had gone off!.