Air-Con on Beetle 1.6... - arnold2
I bought a New Beetle 1.6 two years ago; since I had already bumped its' price up somewhat with Alloys and Metallic Paint, I decided not to add Air-Con (although, to be fair, with that lot on, the price went up to the same as the 2.0 Beetle!). But I now want to fit air-con onto it.

Some advice - I reckon that, although I'm sure I won't get my money back on the install come sale time, would I be right in thinking that, in 3 years time, selling a non-aircon car for premium money is going to be hard ? And secondly, I got a quote from Reader Air Conditioning for about £1300 + VAT - does anyone know any other good aircon after-market fitters?
Air-Con on Beetle 1.6... - DavidHM
In three years' time, you'll have a five year old Beetle and zero chance of selling it for premium money, even with aircon and diamond encrusted door cards.

If the install is in any way distinguishable from a factory one, don't do it, because it will add absolutely zero to both the desirability and value of your car.

£1300+VAT is £1527.50 - with that in mind as a cost to change, see what you can get hold of. Especially if you sell your car privately (which, given that it has no a/c, may be difficult) you may find it works out much, much cheaper to swap it for one with factory a/c. Metallic and alloys are fairly standard on Beetles anyway, so unless it has something really unusual like sat nav that you absolutely don't want to lose, that is probably a much better option for you.
Air-Con on Beetle 1.6... - Dave N
Price looks about right, but make sure it's a Diavia kit. Reader Air used to fit Diavia kits, but make sure. You can also try www.vehvac.co.uk as they are the Diavia importer, so definately fit their kits. They should fit a factory switch, so only someone who knows what they're looking for under the bonnet will tell the difference.

You are probably be right about selling it without a/c though, as it is fairly basic stuff these days.

Much as DavidHM said, might be a good time to consider a swop to one with a/c now.