On street parking - dghelpme

Hello,

I have seen some posts on this but can't seem to find any real answers. Sorry if I am asking a question that has already been asked.

I live on a small sub urban lane and my neighbour has got 9 car parked outside the from of our houses and another 4 parked in his drive. We used to have a wall infront of our house that I took down to create two parking bays for us (I do have a dropped curb). He lives alone and really only uses one car. The rest have MOT and Tax but are looking worse for wear with flat tyres and mold.

Due to the lovely winter weather we have a major leak in the house and are now getting this fixed, so now I have a skip in one of the parking bays. I am now having to carry the kids half a block when I could just cross the road...

He has also started throwin stuff outside the front of his house like old tv's and radiators.

What can I do, I have a young family and dont want to get into a massive fight with him, is there anything the council can do or help me with?

Edited by dghelpme on 07/02/2018 at 15:49

On street parking - veloceman
I assume they are parked on a public highway.
You can easily check if they motd. But I would assume they all not insured unless he’s a dealer.
You could give a wink to the local plod.
On street parking - FiestaOwner

Hi.

Can't believe he's paying for road tax and MOT's for all these cars if he's not using them.

You can check if they've got road tax and MOT here: vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/

Any that don't have a valid road tax (and are on the road), you can report online (without giving your details) to the DVLA here: www.gov.uk/report-untaxed-vehicle

I'm assuming you are refering to a public road/ lane and not a privately owned one.

On street parking - RobJP

If he is throwing old TVs, etc out and not disposing of them properly, then a word with the council's Environmental health dept may be of use.

On street parking - Alan

9 on the street beats my previous neighbor by 1. His record was only had 8. Three of those were in regular use. That was in the days of tax discs. One of them was done for no tax (.By the police not the DVLA), it was a few years ago. I felt so sorry for him. Some people take the p***.

On street parking - FoxyJukebox

Nearby-Just down a street of terraced cottages -I have noticed a neighbour with a large SUV japanese, a VW camper, a old Audi A4 and a Range Rover. They are all taxed with MOT's --are hardly ever used and occupy the public highway. What amuses me is that if you piled them up -the pile would be bigger than house. They belong to one male owner-he's doing nothing illegal and it's up to him how he wastes his money-but by golly he is unpopular in a residential area with only very limited parking. Grrrrr.

On street parking - galileo

Nearby-Just down a street of terraced cottages -I have noticed a neighbour with a large SUV japanese, a VW camper, a old Audi A4 and a Range Rover. They are all taxed with MOT's --are hardly ever used and occupy the public highway. What amuses me is that if you piled them up -the pile would be bigger than house. They belong to one male owner-he's doing nothing illegal and it's up to him how he wastes his money-but by golly he is unpopular in a residential area with only very limited parking. Grrrrr.

Surprised he hasn't suffered from vandalism - around here it is not uncommon for cars to be set alight by teenage scrotes, 3 instances this week alone.

On street parking - Andrew-T

I sometimes think it's a pity we don't copy the Japanese, who I believe have a system in some places where one may only own a vehicle if one has off-road parking space for it. I can't see any logical reason why people may litter the public road (which is after all for travelling, not leaving clutter) with vehicles more than with any other large personal property. The only justification is that it can be tricky to put a car somewhere else.

I'm fortunate in having adequate off-road space. My only problem arises when others choose to obstruct my entrance/exit.

Yes indeed--I wonder what the impact on the roads, parking availability and the economy if the Japanese system was adopted here?

On street parking - jonnyjjbean

Not much you can do, you don't own the road and people can park where they like, even if it's over your drive.

I sympathise with your plightt though, I too would be annoyed by it.

On street parking - sandy56

The problem of on street parking is only going to get worse and no one seems to have any sort of plan to deal with the chaos this can cause. SOme countires insist that you can only have a car if you have a residential off road parking spot, some insist that all homes, flats houses must have at least one allocated off road parking spot.

In one local village the mothers regualry block the road to drop off their children, this causes chaos at peak times as it is also a through road. Obvioulsy a 15 minute walk is too much for todays mothers.

We need to get smart,soon, and solve the problem before we cannot move because our roads are all partially blocked!

On street parking - RT

The problem of on street parking is only going to get worse and no one seems to have any sort of plan to deal with the chaos this can cause. SOme countires insist that you can only have a car if you have a residential off road parking spot, some insist that all homes, flats houses must have at least one allocated off road parking spot.

In one local village the mothers regualry block the road to drop off their children, this causes chaos at peak times as it is also a through road. Obvioulsy a 15 minute walk is too much for todays mothers.

We need to get smart,soon, and solve the problem before we cannot move because our roads are all partially blocked!

What sort of plan do you want? Forcibly migrate half the population to another country so their houses can be demolished to provide parking for the rest?

Many roads were laid out in the days before the horse & cart, let alone mass car ownership.

On street parking - macski

A can be removed even if it has a MOT and is taxed by the local authority if it has not moved for a long time, has damaged ie: broken glass, flat tyres, has no number plates or is unroad worthy.

Some years ago I had left an old Carlton on the road while away from home, it was taxed and insured yet upon returning home it had a notice that it will be removed. Should have let them take it.

www.gov.uk/guidance/abandoned-vehicles-council-res...d

Bit off topic, intercepters this week, man was sat in his car on the road and was caughtioned for having no insurance, yet the charges were dropped as there was no evidance he had driven it. I thought all cars on the road needed insurance?

What sort of plan do you want? Forcibly migrate half the population to another country so their houses can be demolished to provide parking for the rest?

If half the population was migrated to another country there would be planty of space fror parking and no traffic congestion. (Just like it was in the 1950s)

On street parking - catsdad
On our 1980's estate all the houses were built with a minimum of a single garage and a drive for at least two cars. The garages are actually big enough to get large cars into.

However over the years planners have allowed people to convert garages into living space and convert lofts. This means many of the three bedroom house with at least two spaces have become four bed with one space. Four cars are not uncommon.

I understand the demand for bigger houses but allowing development should include a requirement that the remaining off street parking is adequate.

Its only one aspect but planners do bear some responsibilty here.

On street parking - Falkirk Bairn

Neighbour parks on the corner - reason? his caravan fills the driveway.

Bottom of road was a self employed chap - Transit van, Taxi, Volvo estate on the road - motorhome, speedboat in driveway. Garage with 3 motorbikes. What was used regularly was the transit & the taxi - the rest rarely moved. All gone now apart from a car which sits in the drive - much t the relief of the houses opposite.

If they can legally park close to the school why shouldn't parents park there?

Locals should know to avoid the area during drop off and collection times - which for most schools is around 8:50am and 2:50pm - most people I know are already at work by then.

<< If they can legally park close to the school why shouldn't parents park there? >>

Silly question. Everyone says 'legally', that's OK ! The problem is practical, not legal. If there are more cars than available space, how is the problem solved?

It's often a combination of selfishness, idleness and/or thoughtlessness.

On street parking - Bianconeri

<< If they can legally park close to the school why shouldn't parents park there? >>

Silly question. Everyone says 'legally', that's OK ! The problem is practical, not legal. If there are more cars than available space, how is the problem solved?

It's often a combination of selfishness, idleness and/or thoughtlessness.

“Legally” then moves quickly to “what I can get away with” and an asertion of “my rights” where the emphasis is on “my” to the detriment of everyone else. Two thoughts that most seem incapable of processing - for every “right I claim do I uphold an equivalent “responsibility”? - it may be legal but is it ethical / sensible / reasonable? And “ethics” is not to the north east of London.

Selfishness, idleness and/or thoughlessness by the motorist of course-but what about applying these words to planners, local authority employees of all kinds, traffic management experts and even traffic cops?

If they can legally park close to the school why shouldn't parents park there?

Locals should know to avoid the area during drop off and collection times - which for most schools is around 8:50am and 2:50pm - most people I know are already at work by then.

On street parking - argybargy

In a nation which is so obsessed with its cars and car related stuff, its no surprise that some people are SO obsessed that they hoard them as others hoard clothes or shoes. The only difference really is that they tend keep them outside, meaning that they sometimes annoy other people as clothes or shoes rarely do. Now that we have access to MOT and tax records we do at least have a weapon against people who at one time would flaunt the law with virtual impunity and, like an ex neighbour of mine, keep several untaxed vehicles on the highway for days and weeks on end without obvious sanction from the authorities.

The only way you could deal with this is if you can legitimately argue that your neighbour is actually and technically causing an obstruction, and that I suppose would mean obstructing your access or passage or that of any other neighbours. And as Rob says, there's a possibility that the local Environmental Health department might be interested in the accumulation of debris on his property, although like all public services they've been emasculated by cuts and barely have enough staff nowadays to make the tea, let alone go out and do anything useful.

Edited by argybargy on 09/02/2018 at 08:57

On street parking - sandy56

I can see that a lot of people think the current situation with regular road blockage, and partial blockage is acceptable.

We can do nothing, nothing must change, so road users must accept more delays and frustrations caused by the bad estate planning, inadequate road planning, and sheer laziness and thoughtlessness by some.

Residents' parking permits (chargeable or free) help in restricting parking in residential areas.

Local parking costs otherwise lead commuters to park within walking distance of town centres thus reducing many side roads to one lane only, with problems for bin collection and residents parking.

In terms of it being 'legal' to park anywhere, is it not the case that highways are legally for travelling on and vehicles that stop on them may be treated as "causing an obstruction", which is not legal?

On street parking - Alan

Where I live it seems to be a deliberate policy not to enforce parking restrictions near schools at drop off and pick up times. The road is clogged every time I go past at those hours and I have never seen a traffic warden around. Some parents sit outside the school on a double yellow for half an hour waiting for thier kids to leave off.

I can see that a lot of people think the current situation with regular road blockage, and partial blockage is acceptable.

The situation is steadily worsening for a combination of reasons:

- more people own a car, maybe because they have to drive further to work

- more people own more than one car, needing more space. Driving through any housing estate, there are not many driveways with only one or two cars

- cars keep getting bigger/fatter and more difficult to pass

- roads generally do not.

The only people who have a genuine right to complain about it are those who don't contribute to the problem.