Ford KA 06 - Speedometre drops to zero, lights brighten/dim - Madcat13

Hi

This is an odd one so bare with me - note - I am taking my car to the garage to try to get this fixed tomorrow, but if can do it myself or at least point the mechanic in the right direction it would be a huge help.

When it's cold and raining the following things happen to my car -

The headlights brighten and dim randomly

The windscreen wipers go super fast when on normal speed randomly

The ABS warning light flickers on and off - sometimes it stays on for a while

The speedometer drops to zero - it sometimes goes straight back to the speed I'm travelling but last night stayed at zero for a good 10 minutes.

This has only started happening the last few weeks - the speedometer issue has only happened the past few days.I'm guessing it's some sort of electrical fault, but odd that it only happens in the cold and rain - not once over the summer even when the rain was very heavy. It did happen a few times last year in winter - but without the speeometer issue. My car hates the cold and often stalls when first starting in winter if I take my foot off the accelerator in the first few minutes, I did get the starter motor changed last year,

Any suggestions would be great - thanks

Ford KA 06 - Speedometre drops to zero, lights brighten/dim - elekie&a/c doctor

From your description of the faults,I would suggest that the alternator and charging system needs to be checked. There is a 3 pin plug attached to the side of the alternator. It is very common for one or more of the cables to break and cause a charging problem.

Ford KA 06 - Speedometre drops to zero, lights brighten/dim - liammcl

Hi

This is an odd one so bare with me - note - I am taking my car to the garage to try to get this fixed tomorrow, but if can do it myself or at least point the mechanic in the right direction it would be a huge help.

When it's cold and raining the following things happen to my car -

The headlights brighten and dim randomly

The windscreen wipers go super fast when on normal speed randomly

The ABS warning light flickers on and off - sometimes it stays on for a while

The speedometer drops to zero - it sometimes goes straight back to the speed I'm travelling but last night stayed at zero for a good 10 minutes.

This has only started happening the last few weeks - the speedometer issue has only happened the past few days.I'm guessing it's some sort of electrical fault, but odd that it only happens in the cold and rain - not once over the summer even when the rain was very heavy. It did happen a few times last year in winter - but without the speeometer issue. My car hates the cold and often stalls when first starting in winter if I take my foot off the accelerator in the first few minutes, I did get the starter motor changed last year,

Any suggestions would be great - thanks

I wonder if the DC is becoming contaminated AC from the alternator due to faulty rectifiers

or if the voltage out is greater than 14.4v

cheers
Liam

Edited by liammcl on 10/12/2017 at 20:58