VW Golf bluemotion - 2.0 TDI vs 1.4 TSI - Bob Fred

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a car and I've narrowed it down to a VW Golf Mk7, however I can't decide on the petrol engine or the diesel engine.

I'm wanting something for long term that is reliable. I do an average of 200 motorway miles a week.

Any ideas? Thanks

VW Golf bluemotion - 2.0 TDI vs 1.4 TSI - Engineer Andy

Of the two, the petrol is the better bet even with second-hand diesel car prices softening of late. If its a new car, then I doubt if you would get as much of a 'diesel discount' from VW than you might think. If you do intend to keep it for the longer, then that strengthens the argument, given diesel (expensive to fix out of warranty) reliability issues over the longer term.

The 1.4 TSi (not the older twin charger version on the mk6) has generally proved reliable, especially since its back using a belt-cam rather than their previous unreliable (never a problem on purely Japanese-designed cars) chain cam engines. If you can afford it, the 1.4 TSi 150bhp is the better bet of the two 1.4s. though the 122bhp unit isn't bad at all.

Bear in mind that you can get vastly more car for your money if you get either a Skoda Octavia (far bigger, though some people don't like the ride quality on specific variants in the range) or especially a SEAT Leon (3dr SC in FR form really nice looking and better handling than the Octavia) with the 1.4 TSi 150 engine than the Golf, which rarely has discounts at dealerships and not much via brokers compared to these two (dependent upon your needs).

VW Golf bluemotion - 2.0 TDI vs 1.4 TSI - SLO76
Depends on budget and usage. How many of those motorway miles are you doing on your daily commute? How much do you want to spend £5k or £20k?
VW Golf bluemotion - 2.0 TDI vs 1.4 TSI - Bob Fred

Those weekly 200 motorway miles are my daily commute. I dont do much peak time traffic driving.

As for budget, I was looking at the 12k-ish mark, however, after reading Engineer Andys reply, I might have to increase that if I go for a 1.4 150bhp engine.

I don't really have a 'budget' but rather I want reliabity and value for money but for arguments sake I'd say max 15k point.

VW Golf bluemotion - 2.0 TDI vs 1.4 TSI - Falkirk Bairn

>>I don't really have a 'budget' but rather I want reliabity!!

Buy Japanese - Mazda 3 petrol, Civic 1.8 petrol, Toyota Auris petrol .............

VW Golf bluemotion - 2.0 TDI vs 1.4 TSI - veloceman
Personally I would go for a Leon 150ACT Fr.
May not quite be in your budget, but closer than the Golf.
It's quicker than the Golf, better specced and can easily reach a genuine 50mpg.
Also with great handling and ride.
I've just swapped mine for a 118d due to my 20k+ annual mileage.
It has made me realise what a cracking car the Leon is.
VW Golf bluemotion - 2.0 TDI vs 1.4 TSI - Engineer Andy

>>I don't really have a 'budget' but rather I want reliabity!!

Buy Japanese - Mazda 3 petrol, Civic 1.8 petrol, Toyota Auris petrol .............

I assumed the OP had their heart set on a Golf, or at least VAG in general, otherwise I (and am sure SLO as well) would've suggested these, although with their £12k budget they should get a reasonably newish Leon 1.4 150 ACT FR for their money - I was seeing early this year new ones offered via brokers for around the £15k mark, so one uaround the 2yo mark would be around the £12k level or so.

I test drove the 1.4 122bhp engine (admitedly in a Scirocco) and I thought it was fine as well, and at least that engine is normally in the more affordable 'SE' models in the VAG ranges, and has the added benefit of being mated to cars shod in higher profile tyres which normally give a more comfortable ride than those on 18in rims. I'm sure the extra power, better suspension (handling wise) and ACT facility is worth it if they can afford it, given the good reviews cars with it get from BRers.

A lot probably depends upon what type of driver the OP is vis-a-vis comfort, value and performance. If I recall there's not much in it mpg wise between those two engine variants, presumably because of the effect of the ACT system.

If I were the OP, I'd make damn sure they had a budget for the car, including all running costs (including insurance) over its ownership life and saving up for a replacement - no use buying a car you can't afford to run (including hoping it'll never go wrong! always budget for a few reasonable replacements being needed over a 5-7 year period, such as a clutch, brake pads/discs as well as [quality] tyres and, in your case, drive belt and ancillaries [incl. water pump?]).

You may find you might not be able to afford any of the cars spoken about (especially if you have more important things at home to save for - new home, furniture, boiler, roof repairs, marriage, baby on the way, etc, etc), or, if you've been prudent with your cash, perhaps a bit more, even a new car such as a nice SEAT Leon (standard or [nicer looking] SC) 1.4 FR 150 ACT, or the more reliable Japanese cars from above. Have a thorough look around, both on the reviews/cars for sale (incl. new ones via brokers) section of this website and online/at the dealers/car supermarkets if your in no hurry to buy (best) so can make the most informed decision you can.

Always get a decent length test drive (you don't need to tell a dealership if you are more likely to buy via a broker or car supermarket beforehand, but haggle to get the best price and don't commit to buying then - you can always return or wait for another car if its gone - many about) over a wide variety of roads and speeds, and not just a trip round the block for 15 mins as some dealerships want: at least 45 mins and preferably by yourself.

If you do go for one of the VAG options and as you want reliability, DON'T go for an automatic from any of their makes - even though they have apparently improved the design of their 'DSG' gearboxes over the unreliable ones, the latest (in some, but not all cars made in the last year or so) are not yet proven in the long term and still suffer from some 'operational issues' such as sometimes hesistating when accelerating from a standing start. Hopefully you don't as that'll start another round of ifs and maybes in terms of which car to go for from other makes.

Best of luck.

VW Golf bluemotion - 2.0 TDI vs 1.4 TSI - bazza

The writing's well and truly on the wall for family car diesel and new sales are well down, 30% down last month.The government is also lining up to increase the tax burden on diesel owners and is under huge pressure to do something about NO x and diesel emissions, there's talk of increased fuel duty on diesel too. With this as the backdrop, unless I did very high miles, I'd go for the belt drive 1.4TSI petrol- but make sure it has full service history and an extended VW warranty if possible. Owners on here with this engine are seeing 50 mpg at least.

That's a heavy annual mileage, factor in a few personal miles and that's over 55k p/a. While the newer belt driven TSi motors are very efficient they're as yet untested over heavy mileages and used values are affected much more severely compared to an equivalent diesel. In your case I'd stick with derv.

The Golf 2.0 TDi Match 150PS is an almost ideal car for long distance commuting. It's comfortable, quick, good on fuel and will always sell on despite six figures on the clock. The Match has all the go and gadgets anyone needs and it does without the firm sports suspension of the GTD while also costing substantially less to buy. Get a 2015 onwards car and it misses the emissions recall which seems to be causing EGR issues.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170914930...5

Another worthy would be the Seat Leon 2.0 TDi SE which is essentially the same car underneath but with a cheaper standard of interior trim. The FR is a nice spec and popular used but does have sports suspension which while not too bad will be less comfortable over long commutes. Again buy only post 2015.

Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171011017...5

The FR 184PS is a flying machine but will still hit high 50's to the gallon if you're not too heavy on the go pedal. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171017039...8

Myself, if I were doing such a massive mileage I'd want to limit the crippling loss of value by buying something much cheaper. The Honda Civic 1.6 DTEC is very robust, extremely economical, very practical and will do a genuine 70mpg if driven with restraint. Auto Trader:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170925965...7

Edited by SLO76 on 11/11/2017 at 14:04

VW Golf bluemotion - 2.0 TDI vs 1.4 TSI - Hugh Watt

Er, look again, SLO - isn't it 200 miles per week, not per day...?

Er, look again, SLO - isn't it 200 miles per week, not per day...?

"Those weekly 200 motorway miles are my daily commute" You can understand the confusion... If it is 200 miles a week I'd go petrol then. Post 2013 belt driven TSi motors are good so far and no DPF worries. 150PS Seat Leon FR is one I do rather like.

Edited by SLO76 on 11/11/2017 at 14:24

VW Golf bluemotion - 2.0 TDI vs 1.4 TSI - veloceman
I personally would prefer the smoothness of petrol.
But with my annual mileage of nearly 20k I thought the Leon would be worth peanuts with over 80k on the clock.
I bought my year old 118d with 8,000 miles at nearly 45% off list.
Equivalent petrol were around £3k more with far inferior mpg
As I said I would prefer petrol but I don't think diesels will disappear overnight. Especially with large SUVs etc.
As long as you are euro 6 then I think you be ok for a while.
But I do admit it's all a bit of a 'punt'.