Private Reg - Wally Zebon
About 6 weeks ago I bought a private reg from DVLA. Very quick and miles cheeper than anywhere else.

Today, just for a laugh, I had a look on a web site to see if I could buy it, and lo and behold they were offering it for sale.
I then checked a further four sites and three of them were also offering it!
I've made a few phone calls to ask them to remove it, but surely it should be taken off a lot sooner than this.
I can understand that the wheels of motion in the DVLA could be a little bit slow, but it took less than a week to get the plate, and I got a V5 with the correct reg on it about 10 days later.

Is it just that these firms are simply offering what they don't have or it DVLA really that slow?
Private Reg - mab23

The DVLA shouldn't be offering a plate they've sold - and from what I've seen they're not too bad at updating their own site to reflect sold plates.

The other dealers who try and sell unsold DVLA plates as their own (with their own markup) may never however get around to taking the plate off their web site. However any other punter who tries to buy it through them will obviously be disappointed...

mike
Private Reg - borasport20
Perhaps they're advertising something they haven't got in order to drum up business - get an aquaintance to ring one of these reg. no dealers pretending to be interested in paying a high price for the number, and I won't be at all suprised if you get a call from the dealer wanting to know if you want to sell it !

I have to grow old - but I don't have to grow up
Private Reg - Cardew
"I won't be at all suprised if you get a call from the dealer wanting to know if you want to sell it !"

How would he get hold of the telephone no?
Private Reg - borasport20
technically, I don't think he should be able to legally.

but technically every car on the road is mechanically sound, insured, and driven in a safe manner by a sober licenced driver

I've seen something similar happen in the recruitment business - someone is starting out as an agency for themselves, they advertise a job that doesn't exist, and say 10 people send their Cv in. that person then phones up employers saying 'look, i've got this candidate....'. Its not illegal, its making a bit of business out of nothing.

I have to grow old - but I don't have to grow up