Any - George Osborne - nick62

So GO has got himself ANOTHER job today as editor of the London Evening Standard for four days a week.

How on earth can he justifyibly pick-up his £70K odd a year as an MP and have at least two other jobs? Who allows MP's so much "time off with pay" to go moonlighting, (I guess they make-up the rules to suit themselves)?

Talk about taking the pee.

If one of my employees came to me and said "I have got another job (Blackrock) for 48 days a year", I'd tell them to make it full time and give them their cards.

Any - George Osborne - Vitesse6

One law for them, another one for the rest of us. I am not surprised, he treated the country with contempt when he was Chancellor and he is just continuing.

Any - George Osborne - gordonbennet

I doubt he needs the dosh but one can never have enough apprently, but the real reason i suspect is so there's another part of the mainstream media on the 'right' side for the coming Brexit masquerade.

Any - George Osborne - alan1302

One law for them, another one for the rest of us. I am not surprised, he treated the country with contempt when he was Chancellor and he is just continuing.

Anyone can have more than one job - no laws involved.

But if you already have a full time job, and a part time job would your employer be happy about you taking yet another full time job or would your next annual appraisal have a few awkward questions about how committed you are to your first job.

But if you already have a full time job, and a part time job would your employer be happy about you taking yet another full time job or would your next annual appraisal have a few awkward questions about how committed you are to your first job.

We will see what has constiuents decide at the next election

Saw a couple of pics earlier taken in the Sandard offices with Osborne speaking to his new propaganda team, (only teasing), smacked back side doesn't begin to describe the faces.

Edited by gordonbennet on 17/03/2017 at 22:04

Won't have the chance, his constituency is being abolished under the new boundary changes.

Any - George Osborne - scot22

I suspect you are right Gordon about the real reason for GO taking the job. It has been said, don't pick a fight with someone who buys their ink by the gallon.

The reason he got the job, in my humble opinion, is the old boys network - privilege and money.

Won't have the chance, his constituency is being abolished under the new boundary changes.

So that's why he's got a new job - getting in before being booted out!

Any - George Osborne - Avant

What's all the fuss about? He had a full-time job in the last Parliament as well as being an MP - he was Chancellor of the Exchequer, a job which probably took up more time than four days a week at the Standard. His constituents managed then presumably.

Any - George Osborne - scot22

Being an M.P should be a full time job. Most of us on the forum had / have a full time job for much less pay. I'm fairly sure most of us would not have had the time to take on anything else.

If he is able to do all of his jobs then the remuneration is disproportionate.

Any - George Osborne - concrete

It all depends upon how his constituents view his behaviour. If they feel they are coming second to his other activities then they should not vote for him again. I have my doubts wether he will re-stand for election anyway. Too much money to be made without all the hasle of politics. Just look at what that pair of idiotic clowns; Brown and Blair are making. If anyone of us normal folk had wreaked so much havoc upon our country as those two despicable characters, we would be behind bars. Anyone approaching or recently past pensionable age should worship the ground that is coming to Brown: for his mismanagement of the whole economic system in general and his destruction of the pension system in particular. Osborne hardly rates a mention for his incompetence in comparison. The sooner we are rid of characters like this the better.

However I don't much like the idea of 'professional' politicians. School, University, Parliamentary Assistant, MP. No experience of very much at all. So if we want experienced people with some life experience and a 'bit of wool on their back' we maybe need to accept they may hold some sort of directorship too. I personally could not have managed two jobs like the one I did, but I did sit on several committees, mainly evening meetings, which did not detract from my day job. So I suppose it depend on what demands the various jobs make.

Cheers Concrete

Please don't think i hold a candle for either Lucifer Blair or the poor sap he left holding the baby, Brown.

Osborne and his utterly pointless principle-less chum Cameron, managed to raise the national debt by more in their first term, than the previous twerps managed in three, so each and every one should be facing charges for what thay have done to our country, and each regime managed to follow trendy fashion and have their very own wars of utter mindless stupidity, there are not words to describe my contempt for the lot of them, fire and urinating might cover it.

However the real fault lies with the electorate, who without fail keep voting for creatures like this no matter how they betray the people in due course, you couldn't make it up, but then when the three main parties, who tribally people seem convinced have to vote for one of, are more or less identical, then up to a point one can understand.

My point about this is that if you go into a shop and they don't have anything worth buying, you don't buy anything, and i suspect those who haven't bought from the failing shop for possibly all of their lives finally turned out in droves to vote Brexit when it was a vote that would count, whether the powers that be realise the solid working backbone of the country has finally reached a point of ''no more matey'' they may well find out the hard way if the party currently masquerading as Conservative try to welch on Brexit, and i don't mean at the ballot box either i mean in the streets utilsising many lamposts.

I have no doubt in Cameron's or Osborne well heeled modern tory constituencies that a donkey wearing a blue rosette would still be elected, just the same as half wits keep electing certain Labour or Lib MP's who appear to utterly despise the genuine working class they pretend to represent.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/03/2017 at 13:16

Any - George Osborne - piggy

G.O. wants the Evening Standard to fight against Brexit. Good luck to him on that count! Since his constituency is being abolished who can blame him. Remember,he has pots of money and can afford to pay someone hansomely to assist him. For him the political leverage the Evening Standard will give him is worth all the flack.

Any - George Osborne - FP

2015 General Election turnout: 66.1%

EU Referendum turnout: 72.2%

The implication that there was a massively larger turnout for the EU Referendum isn't convincing: "...finally turned out in droves to vote Brexit..."

GB is of course correct in saying that the electorate gets the politicians it deserves, but to characterise the Brexit result as "... the solid working backbone of the country has finally reached a point of 'no more matey'" is naive. I know Brexit has been lumped with the election of Trump as an example of an unsophisticated working-class vote, a protest against the "establishment", or the government of the time, or politicians in general, but I think that is naive too.

More likely is that the election of Corbyn as leader of Labour, and the activities of Momentum, are manifestations of such discontent - and these are insignificant to the larger political picture, because neither Corbyn nor Momentum have any future.

Though I sympathise with a lot of what he says, the trouble with GB's analysis is that it's a narrative of despair. Presumably one shouldn't vote at all, according to this, because there's no-one worth voting for.

Though it would be nice to think that a new breed of disinterested, principled politicians would emerge, I don't see it happening. Either you leave the country if your hatred of certain aspects of it is that powerful (though I don't know where you would go), or you engage with the political processes and make the best of a bad job.

Edited by FP on 22/03/2017 at 13:37