Any - What is acceptable behaviour when stuck on m-way? - RichT54
You may have seen the pictures on the news of a woman sunbathing on the carriage way of the M3 after it was blocked due to an accident on Tuesday.

I was stuck in the same queue and was surprised how quickly people jumped out of their cars and started wandering around. One group of young women immediately started taking selfies both with the tailback in the background and then standing close to the central barrier to get the fast flowing traffic in the other carriageway as the backdrop. They then put some blankets on the road and even set up a small tent!

Other people, several with young children moved to the side of the road to be in the shade of the trees, which forced the emergency vehicles trying to use the hard shoulder to get to the scene of the accident to slow down. I saw one guy bouncing a football and two small boys throwing a frisbee.

Quite a few people walked up the motorway to get a look at the accident.

However, the worst example was the guy who actually ran across the opposite carriage way where vehicles were still traveling at 70+ mph. He then took two or three attempts to get up the steep bank from the hard shoulder, before disappearing into the trees.

Any - What is acceptable behaviour when stuck on m-way? - drd63
More to the point, is it reasonable for the police to shut the M3 for 2 hours when there were 4 cars involved and 5 minor injuries. I saw the police complaining about people being irresponsible in the local press but I'm sure they'd all descended at speed from miles around turning up mob handed. It never ceases to amaze me how many police manage to converge on even minor traffic incidents.
Any - What is acceptable behaviour when stuck on m-way? - Bolt

In this day and age I`m surprised they don't just take an aerial photo and video of the accident and then ram all damaged cars off the motorway(after all casualties have been taken away)

its been commented before that they take far too long to clear a motorway, wherever it is.

the Americans are quicker at doing this...
Any - What is acceptable behaviour when stuck on m-way? - alan1302
In this day and age I`m surprised they don't just take an aerial photo and video of the accident and then ram all damaged cars off the motorway(after all casualties have been taken away) its been commented before that they take far too long to clear a motorway, wherever it is. the Americans are quicker at doing this...

So what are the delays for?

Any - What is acceptable behaviour when stuck on m-way? - galileo
In this day and age I`m surprised they don't just take an aerial photo and video of the accident and then ram all damaged cars off the motorway(after all casualties have been taken away) its been commented before that they take far too long to clear a motorway, wherever it is. the Americans are quicker at doing this...

So what are the delays for?

Firstly, some time back (I think it was ACPO who decided) there was a ruling that any bump with injuries was a 'crime scene' and must be investigated as such (cue Plod with magnifying glasses, fingerprint kits etc). This is actually just an **** covering exercise in case victims sue, the dreaded H and S can be quoted too as a reason. It is also a chance to be seen by the public (a rare opportunity round here). Cases such as the recent closure of M1 for hours because some clown was up on a gantry cost millions of pounds; closing long enough for the fire service to put an airbag under the man and then giving him full force of a hose would make more sense, the thousands delayed would, I'm sure support that.
Any - What is acceptable behaviour when stuck on m-way? - focussed
But the Association of Chief Police Officers Limited has no legal entity in british law.

(Yes they are a very profitable limited company and and a nice little earner on the side for senior police officers)

Why are they dictating to the government and the public how the law is enacted and interpreted?
Any - What is acceptable behaviour when stuck on m-way? - RT

The British police have never had the resources to enforce all criminal law absolutely so each force have always had to prioritize and apply a level of discretion - ACPO introduces a level of consistency that in itself isn't absolute.

The police no longer prosecute, they investigate and hand their findings to CPS who determine whether to prosecute or not.

Any - What is acceptable behaviour when stuck on m-way? - galileo

The British police have never had the resources to enforce all criminal law absolutely so each force have always had to prioritize and apply a level of discretion - ACPO introduces a level of consistency that in itself isn't absolute.

The police no longer prosecute, they investigate and hand their findings to CPS who determine whether to prosecute or not.

The question was, why are delays so lengthy? The answer (as various Police Forces have stated) is that in cases of life threatening injury they treat the incident as a crime scene, instead of shifting the debris and re-opening the road immediately. My learned friend DVD or others with more up accurate knowledge will probably correct me if this is not the case. (I apologise, by the way,if any of my comments have caused offence to those who may have suffered in such incidents)