VW Passat - Buying a used VW - Should I worry about recall? - stuffandblah

I've just put a deposit down on a 3 year old 2.0 TDi Passat, and whilst checking the history of the vehicle found out that it is down for recall due to the recent vw dieselgate, so I will get notified by the DVLA as to details of the recall.

As I understand it the "fix" is to update the software, which *shouldn't* affect performance. When speaking two a guy at my local VW garage today he wasn't able to go into any details, other than it's a software update. I've read that DVLA will honour the original tax classification, so there should be no increase to tax.

Has anyone actually had any fix applied yet?

Is this emissions issue really as bad as the press make out?

Should I continue with buying the car?

VW Passat - Buying a used VW - Should I worry about recall? - RobJP

As far as I'm aware, no, nobody has had the 'fix' carried out as yet. It appears VAG may be having difficulties making it work.

My mum's Golf was originally booked in for February to have the work done. They cancelled the appointment, and, in spite of numerous calls both ways, have not given her a new booking and do not know when they will be able to offer one either.

EDIT : you may well HAVE to carry on with the purchase. If you have signed a contract then the garage may be force you to complete on it. Or they may be able to keep your deposit.

Doing research before handing over money nearly always works out cheaper than doing it afterwards.

Edited by RobJP on 01/06/2016 at 00:30

VW Passat - Buying a used VW - Should I worry about recall? - brum

How VW are getting away with this, dragging their heels, not considering compensation to uk owners, not being penalised by the uk government, beggars belief.

VW Passat - Buying a used VW - Should I worry about recall? - gordonbennet

Seeing as how many others are being found out on the fiddle one way or another can't say i blame them playing a wait and see game.

VW Passat - Buying a used VW - Should I worry about recall? - bazza

The cars comply with Euro V over here. In the US the cars do not comply with the US regs. Compensation over there and buy-backs for selling something non-compliant. Not the case over here. As GB says, they'll bide their time, lawyers will spin it out for years. The "fix" whenever it appears isn't compulsory anyway, little point in having it done .