Omega, After installing HID... - Bob Chen
My '95 Omega V6 2.5CD's MID displays "Headlight Tail Light" message after I installed a set of Philips' xenon headlight last week. As soon as I turn the headligh on, it displays that error message. at the mean time, the level control no longer works...

Anybody has the same experience? I wonder if the hight voltage of the HID interferes the circuit of MID. Hope somebody can help me. thanks.
Omega, After installing HID... - Dynamic Dave
Does the fault occur if you revert back to the original bulbs?
The fault is cured as soon as I put the original bulbs back....
Omega, After installing HID... - Peter D
Are they just Xenon or are they a different Wattage. Peter
The original headlight-bulb-sockets are now to activate a pair of relays. ie, the HIDs' power is not directly provided by the original headlit sockets.

My HID is a third party product, including a pair of Philips control units (LVQ 212-L300),two xenon bulbs, fuses and two relays I mention above.

The only difference I could think of is the resistance and current consumption between the original bulbs and those relays....
Omega, After installing HID... - John S
Bob

Yes, I was a bit confused as to what had gone on here. If you'd just fitted higher output bulbs, then the problem shouldn't have occurred.

However, as you're now using the original headlight circuit to trigger a couple of relays, then you will get just the problem you have met. Each normal bulb takes about 5 amps, but the replacement relays will take well under an amp. As far as the monitoring system is concerned, it sees this tiny current and assumes the headlamp bulb has failed. Problem is I can't see an easy way round the difficulty.

Regards

John S
Omega, After installing HID... - Dave_TD
Is it not as easy as fitting some sort of resistor inline, or am I missing something? It is getting a bit late now...
Omega, After installing HID... - John S
Dave

It would need a circuit carrying about 5 amps in parallel with the relay operating coil, so it's another relay, plus a resistor (which will run hot).

Bob - have you asked the Vx dealer if the computer can be reprogrammed to either accept as correct the low current your system is now taking, or alteratively to disable the 'headlight failed' function?

Regards

John S