Drilling holes in glass / rear spoiler - Robert Fleming
The back window of my Golf GTI (mk2) has been replaced at some stage with the glass from a non-GTI, meaning that the three holes in the glass to mount the rear spoiler are missing.

I do have a spoiler and seals etc., and am pondering drilling 3 holes in the glass necessary to mount it.

Obviously a standard drill won't work, but I do have one of those Dremel-like tools with various grinding attatchments. Any comments about the wisdom of this?

Also, is this spoiler merely cosmetic, or does it actually do something useful?

Drilling holes in glass / rear spoiler - Peter D
Talk to the Golf Owners club I believe they bond them on now rather then shatter the rear screen Regards Peter
Drilling holes in glass / rear spoiler - bertj
Don't even think about drilling your rear screen! The glass is toughened and will shatter into millions of bits as soon as the drill bites through the outer, tempered, skin of glass.
I remember reading somewhere that spoilers only have an effect at 3 figure speeds! I'm sure someone will comment on how they are essential on Porsche and Ferrari's but let's face it, spoilers are only fitted to every day cars as part of the pose factor.
Drilling holes in glass / rear spoiler - Robert Fleming
The answer presents itself! I'll stick it on with that black double sided tape I used to stick some trim on once. Grips like a scared limpet.
Drilling holes in glass / rear spoiler - Peter D
No use the bonding agent available from your VW dealer they use to bond the MKIII Driver and GTI spoilers on with. Regards Peter
Drilling holes in glass / rear spoiler - Andrew-T
They must also be useful sometimes for parking drinks on. :>)