Survey - Which would you choose? - Sulphur Man

After some decent motoring chat in our local at the weekend, which then led predictably onto how poor the regional driving environment is these days in Surrey/Hants borders, the following 'survey' question was dreamt up in the ale backwash.

It's very simplistic, but I rather like it - strikes a nice poser, and fuelled some good honest debate. Be interested to see which choice HJ forum members would take.

Scenario:

You're allowed one car for the rest of your driving life - ie as long as you're physically able to drive legally. You dont have access to any other vehicle, but can use public transport, and own a bicycle.

This one car must be chosen from only two clearly defined types.

Both cars will be entitled to free servicing, tyres and repairs, including accident repairs. However fuel, taxes & insurance must be paid for.

Type 1: A high-performance, supremely luxurious yet practical 4/5 seat sports saloon/fastback, with all the toys. eg. Audi A7, Merc CLS, Maserati, Porsche Panamera, Aston Martin Rapide, Bently Silver Spur

Type 2: An A/B segment small hatchback, with the decent spec of a/c, DAB and sat nav. eg Honda Jazz, Hyundai i20, Fiesta, Ford B-Max, Clio, Mazda 2, etc.

Seems like a no-brainer doesnt it. Choose Type 1, and hang the fuel and insurance costs, because all the other costs will be paid for. However, here's the twist...

If you choose Type 2, you get a convenient, and free, parking space wherever you go. Town centre, shops, cinema, train station, place of work, seaside, airport, central London/Birmingham/Manchester - all of these will have a well-located, free parking space waiting for you at the end of your journey. Every time.

Type 1 drivers have no such convenience.

Have to say, considering the choice is forever, I chose Type 2. I made the choice of mundane convenience over massive luxury. Something's changed.....

Edited by Sulphur Man on 19/05/2015 at 16:01

Survey - Which would you choose? - gordonbennet

Enjoyable pub chat that.

2 for me, type 1 that list i wouldn't give you a thankyou for any one of them even free.

If this choice was taken back in time 15 to 50 years when cars were individual classy and interesting, then i would choose 1, Bentley or Mercedes from that list of makes.

Survey - Which would you choose? - Happy Blue!

It is a no brainer because if you are going to keep it for the rest of your life you need a car which will cope with the demands of age and infirmity.

Anything in List 1 cannot cope with wheelchairs, bad backs, stiff legs etc etc unless you have a large and high saloon. Possibly the Bentley then. Everything else is too low and awkward for access. On the other hand, most cars in List 2 fit the bill, especially the Jazz, B-max and similar. With top of the range models they have the vast majority of 'surprise and delight' features most of us want without the silly extras likely to go wrong within ten years.

For me it would be something like the mini MPV or SUV types currently available. Whilst i like my new Renault Captur, anything with a similar level of comfort, performance, economy, features, seat height and space would do.

Survey - Which would you choose? - Sofa Spud

I wouldn't choose either. If anyone offered me any car with all those conditions attached, I'd walk away!

Survey - Which would you choose? - alan1302

Easy choice - type 2

Survey - Which would you choose? - Wackyracer

If I lived somewhere with good public transport that was affordable, I don't think I'd bother with a car anymore.

Survey - Which would you choose? - alan1302

If I lived somewhere with good public transport that was affordable, I don't think I'd bother with a car anymore.

I'm the opposite - I'd only use public transport if i really had to.

Survey - Which would you choose? - Avant

The key to this is your first para about driving conditions in the Surrey/Hants boders. I was brought up in Farnham, the lived for 40 years near Reading, and have now retired to Dorset (well, semi-retired anyway).

So I know where you're coming from, and if a Golf GTI could be included in Type 2, that's the answer - and even f it couldn't, a Golf, Leon, A3 or Octavia with the 1.4 TSI surely could. Just how many miles in the British Isles can be covered by a Type 1 car with appreciably more enjoyment than by a Type 2? Not many, I think.

And even if you want a convertible, again there are enough around that are based on Type 2 cars. SWMBO loves her Mini Cooper Roadster, although my soft-top choice would be either an A3 or a six-cylinder BMW 1-series.