Ford Ka - Unregistered foreign car - antho4469

Hello everyone,

I write to you because we need some help, we are a little bit desperate ^_^

I'll explain:

Here in Manchester we have a Ford KA with an Italian immatriculation and it has been here for more than 6 months. We didn't know that we had to register it in the UK up to a month ago, when a policeman stopped us in the street and told us about the registration issue. We paid 2 fines (one when the car was seized and the second one after having received a letter from the DVLA, saying that we had to pay another fine in order to avoid further action to be taken in court). After that, the police suggested we decide either to register it here or to bring it back to Italy...

THIS IS THE POINT: we have decided to bring it back to its country, because there's no point of keeping an Italian car here in the UK (driving seat on the left side, etc..) but, we don't know how to do it without spending a fortune!!!

They told us we can't drive it, so we should book a TRUCK to have it transported to Calais, France, where we will be able to drive it once again.

Does anyone know a better solution?? QUOTATIONS for this kinds of operations are unbelievable and unaffordable for a young couple like ours.

PLEASE help us!

THANKS

Ford Ka - Unregistered foreign car - Happy Blue!

I would have thought that if you have areservation/ticket showing the car was booked on a ferry or train over the Channel, then you would be able to drive it to the port without any queries. Are you really going to stopped on that one journey?

Presumably you have insurance and the car has a valid Italian test certificate or similar?

Ford Ka - Unregistered foreign car - slkfanboy

Depends if you are a UK resident then you can't drive an EU registered car in the UK.

If you are in the UK with an Itanlian passport then you can drive in the UK for six months on the basis its Itanlian MOT equiv is up to date and your insured.

Otherwise you need to fill in the Forms and get MOTed and Taxed. Which should not cost you too much on the basis there should only one or two minor mods required. i.e. headlight must not dazzel etc

Ford Ka - Unregistered foreign car - NARU

A Ka is a fairly small car. Do you have a friend with a towbar on their car? If so you could rent a car trailer for a day?

Seems to start at £45 or so. www.trailertek.com/hire/

Edited by Marlot on 05/05/2015 at 12:30

Ford Ka - Unregistered foreign car - oldroverboy.

Get the car driven by someone who has trade plates to meet you at dover, then drive into the port and onto the ferry. There are companies who deliver cars for people a decent sized car trader should be able to help.