Taxing a car just bought from a private seller? - lucklesspedestrian

Hi

I've just bought a car from a private seller. Left a deposit and intend to go back on Thurs night to collect the car.

The current owner has yet to surrender the road tax (has 6 months left).

Does anyone know if I can tax the car online first or do I have to wait until the owner surrenders the tax then do it?

Thanks in advance

Taxing a car just bought from a private seller? - dan86

You can tax it straight away on the Internet or at a post office using the new keepers green slip.

Taxing a car just bought from a private seller? - martint123

With the new system the exisiting tax is void as soon as you fill in the V5 and an automatic claim is made for the old owner to get the remaining tax back This si the current nightmare of buying a car now - you can't use any existing tax to get the vehicle home,

Taxing a car just bought from a private seller? - bathtub tom

I recently sold a car privately.

After agreeing the deal and accepting a cash deposit, we agreed to complete the deal a few days later in my local PO.

1. This means I don't have cash hanging about the house (for some devious scrotes to rob me).

2. The cash is checked by someone more professional than me and can be credited directly to my bank acount.

3. Everyone's fissog's on camera!!!

4. The new buyer can immediately tax the thing.

Taxing a car just bought from a private seller? - skidpan

Does anyone know if I can tax the car online first or do I have to wait until the owner surrenders the tax then do it?

When you collect the car the person you are buying from will give you the V5C keeping only the bit they have to send back notifying the DVLA of the fact they have sold it, this triggers the reffund of remaining VED automatically.

On the V5C you will have been given there is a section on the 3rd page that has a reference number that is identical to that on page one but with an extra digit, this is the number you need to tax the car on-line. The MOT and presumably insurance is checked before they acept your money.

How do i know this, did it in early October, it worked just like it should.

If you don't tax it or insure it before you drive it you are breaking the law.