Mazda MX5 2003 - Correct Coolant Fluid - mgaman

HJ's car review states that the MX5 (2005-) needs a special coolant fluid.

My 2003 Miata is an 1.8L automatic and I'm assuming that the same rule applies.

I have, without luck, tried to find out what is the specification of this special fluid. Apart from Google I also bought a copy of the workshop manual (onCD). Nowhere does it warn that I need a special fluid.

The only reference I can find is that de-mineralized water and ethylene-glycol base coolant must be used.

I should add that I live in Israel where it rarely, if ever, goes below zeo.

If you have any better information - please share.

Edited by mgaman on 01/02/2014 at 08:40

Mazda MX5 2003 - Correct Coolant Fluid - elekie&a/c doctor

GM or Ford longlife anti-freeze (pink) will do the job.This is an aniti freeze and corrosion inhibitor.

Mazda MX5 2003 - Correct Coolant Fluid - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

One way to find out the correct oil or fluids is to go to the web-site of a manufacturer/supplier, if there is one in Israel, which prompts you to enter your vehicle reg. It then identifies the car and lists the correct stuff for it. One such in the UK is Comma Oils. I wonder if there's one where you are?

One way to find out the correct oil or fluids is to go to the web-site of a manufacturer/supplier, if there is one in Israel, which prompts you to enter your vehicle reg. It then identifies the car and lists the correct stuff for it. One such in the UK is Comma Oils. I wonder if there's one where you are?

Well, I couldn't find a suitable site in Israel but the Comma Oils link proved to be useful.

At least I now have the datasheet on the product they recommend and know what to look for.

Well, I think I finally got the correct answer. From 2005 Mazda started using "FL22" coolant which is a silicate free formula. So HJ is correct in saying that the 2005 and above uses a special coolant.

BTW This formula was eventually adopted by many other manufacturers.

So my question should now be rephrased. Is it worth flushing out my radiator and replacing the current coolant with FL22?

Here's the definitive link

www.miata.net/garage/tsb/01-033-07-1830b.pdf

Mazda MX5 2003 - Correct Coolant Fluid - Wackyracer
So my question should now be rephrased. Is it worth flushing out my radiator and replacing the current coolant with FL22?

You can answer this yourself by asking yourself 2 questions.

1. Does it have the correct coolant now?

2. Is the coolant inside its specified life span?

If you can answer No to either or both of them, Then I'd say change it.