Volkswagen Golf 1.9tdi - Engine Failure - AJ Morpeth
My sister has experienced a 'catastrophic engine failure' on her VW Golf 1.9tdi (5 years old with 85,000 miles and full service history). It appears this fault is more common than expected with a main VW dealer commenting 'this is the third one in a week' for the same model and engine. Subsequently the repairing dealer is struggling to find a replacement engine!

Are VW doing anything about this particular engine problem and is there any point in pursuing them to assist in the repair either in locating an engine or making a financial contribution?

Thanks
Volkswagen Golf 1.9tdi - Engine Failure - bazza

What exactly has happened? There are a few cases of 1.9 tdi Engine code BXE throwing a conrod through the block , 57 reg-ish I believe. But it seems to be rare considering the number on the road and many thousands around with huge mileages are fine. I have one of these myself and subsequently interested, but the incidence appears low enough to not be unduly concerned. I have not found the root cause, other than blaming a bad batch of rods.

Please post with as much info as you have.

It sounds like what you have described - a Conrod through the block although I haven't seen the car. The recovery driver described it as a hole in the side of the engine to my sister. As you say, there are loads of high mileage similar models on the road but if it is a bad batch of rods, VW should be checking them before drivers are expected to fork out for an expensive replacement engine!

Volkswagen Golf 1.9tdi - Engine Failure - Collos25

The reason for the failure could have been caused by many things even a very small fault that has been ignored such as a simple oil leak.If the car has been serviced at a VW agency there is a small chance you could get some type of financial assistance if it hasn't I would have thought you stand very little chance.

Volkswagen Golf 1.9tdi - Engine Failure - jowa

Hi, I deliberatley enrolled on to this site after reading ur text. You won't belive this, my vw caddy maxi life 5 years old 1.9 diesel with 82k did the exact same thing yesterday. VW will be doing a diagnostic next week to try and determine what went wrong. It's the rod issue as suggested by someone else. What's going on here!!

Thanks jowa. Please let us know what VW say after the diagnostic test. Our local dealer is claiming this is very rare but from various blogs and other forums, it seems to be happening more regularly with similar aged engines and mileage.

Volkswagen Golf 1.9tdi - Engine Failure - injection doc
By simply going into EOBD with diagnostic gear , freeze frame data can be viewed and its possible that engine load, temp and throttle position were all captured at point of failure including engine RPM

Recently has a 2.7 diesel jag that I was asked to plug into and before interrogating the engine ECU I viewed FF in EoBD and it had flagged engine RPM at 6300 RPM ! At point of EML being triggered and engine failing ! Not bad for a diesel
Once the owner was questioned it appeared a younger member of the family had taken it around a track and selected the wrong gear at high speed !

As they say " all can be revealed "
Volkswagen Golf 1.9tdi - Engine Failure - slkfanboy

Seam unlikely that someone is on the race track in a vw maxi caddy. You can read on many issues that read along the lines;

The problem pertains to the bearing shells and bolts, which break off and send the conrod through the block

Even though the car is 5 years old, I think you should have a claim against VW. Clearly a substandard batch engines are out their!