Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Lacquer peeling on RED Merc A class 2016 - SV24
Hi all, a couple months back i noticed specs appearing all over my Red A class, 2016, i since found out that this is a common problem with 2 or 3 specific shades of red used on merc vehicles. I contacted the Merc dealership & there workshop assessed it and said they would make a case for repair to Merc UK, they admitted they had seen this before on other cars. Merc come back with a 50% goodwill saying the car come with 3 years warranty which is now obviously passed. Ive heard there is a separate warranty or cover on paintwork but im finding it difficult to get a confirmed timescale for that, does anyone else know if there is such a thing? Or have they experienced this with their own Merc? I dont see why i should fork out a couple thousand for the respray of my car just because the paint used by the manufacturer clearly isnt up to the standard i would expect from a premium car brand, even more so the fact had i a car the same age in any other colour this wouldnt have happend. Any feedback appreciated please
Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Lacquer peeling on RED Merc A class 2016 - elekie&a/c doctor
Is the colour Mars red ?
Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Lacquer peeling on RED Merc A class 2016 - Falkirk Bairn

>>i would expect from a premium car brand

The Brand might be premium but lots f the A class are from the Renfault Megane - engine/gearbox to name 2 major components.

Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Lacquer peeling on RED Merc A class 2016 - elekie&a/c doctor
Yes, there are some models where the power train components are lifted from Renault, but I doubt if the paint is .
Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Lacquer peeling on RED Merc A class 2016 - SV24
Jupiter Red
Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Lacquer peeling on RED Merc A class 2016 - focussed

I had bad lacquer peel on a Mitsubishi L200 truck with black metallic paint.

The basic cause of it is the timing of the application of the colour coat with the clear coat, the final clear coat must be applied within about 15 minutes of the colour coat so that the two bond together. If that time is exceeded the two coats don't bond properly, that obviously varies with the paint type, colour and system but that's the basic problem.

Prior to the 2022 heatwave there were a few white spots but the June/July heatwave here in France finished it off with large areas on the bonnet and cab roof damaged, we recorded 44.5 C in the shade outside our back door one day in July...!!

Proof of the cause was that the genuine Mitsi sport top - hardtop - that I bought S/H and had resprayed to the metallic black by a local part-time lad in his scruffy garage for cash in our village in Norfolk before we left for France didn't suffer any lacquer peel. He did know what he was doing though, he had the paint code matching and blending computer setup.

Not sure if this applies to your colour. m.carcomplaints.com/news/2021/mercedes-benz-red-pa...l
Mercedes-Benz A-Class - Lacquer peeling on RED Merc A class 2016 - focussed

I do see a lot of old French cars in the supermarket car park with lacquer peel paint problems, and a lot of them are red.

A guide to DIY repairing clear coat damage, but remember, it has to be warm when you spray, so as you feel warm in a tee shirt in the shade, and don't use the dupli-colour type cans. Get some quality two-pack aerosols, where you trigger a valve in the bottom of the can to release the catalyst into the paint before shaking the can.

shop.advanceautoparts.com/r/advice/vehicle-engine-...o

I was going to repair our old L200's clear coat, but somebody wanted to buy it in a hurry to drag his digger trailer about, so it got sold for a good price.