Seizure notice & potential for letter of indemnity - 90Ninety

So firstly I am aware I made a few stupid mistakes and misunderstanding when buying a used car today , firstly I took for granted that the seller was telling me the truth about insurance on policy on the car, being effective on the day until he sells it (being 29th of Feb) . Secondly I did not tax it before driving it, thinking I could do it after a short drive home .. My bad.. Thirdly is perhaps my misunderstanding about insurance, you can be the jury here

I purchased a second hand car privately on the 29th of February ( Vauxhall Corsa- I actually wanted to gift it to my Partner) it had MOT , I checked and previous owner/ last owner had said it was insured and taxed( but wasn't allegedly - more on this below ) .I contacted my insurers previously just to check I could drive another car ( on two other cars ) who said I could drive it , if the seller has insurance for the vehicle , which is what I understood to be the case ( the seller said there was a policy on it at the time of sale ) .

So I decided to buy it, however on the way home the car caught a coppers eye and highway patrol were on me at a junction on the on the A1M close to my destination

Police decided to seize the vehicle said that its insurance was cancelled several days ago . I protested that I purchased in good faith and checked with my insurers that I could drive the car, which they confirmed I could providing the seller had a policy on the car, my documentation also states that I can drive other cars , which they did read . They looked at my documentation for my insurance on other cars, which states that I can drive other cars that I don't legally own . They said this part invalidates my right to drive the new purchased car , because it wasn't someone else's car :s, "Cause you just bought it "

They said its likely I will get 6 points and a fine, probably several hundred pounds or magistrates court if I contest it . A letter would be sent to me for points/ fine within a few months, though the copper reluctantly mentioned that that I maybe able to contest it ( though doubtful ) and they may 'drop the case' if my 'other-owned' car insurers ( Lancaster/ KGM) are willing to write a letter of indemnity for this newly purchased car

Irrespective of the penalty points and fine , I can still recover the car for £200 within 14 days , as long as a certificate of insurance is provided and V5

If nothing else , hope this post saves someone else that made the silly mistakes I made . Though there is some hope my other car insurers are willing to write a letter of indemnity for me using this car, perhaps this hope is misplaced? .

Anyhow this be a warning to fully check the car has a policy at the time of sale .. I think the seller had lied to get a fast sale due to disputes of parking said car

Edited by 90Ninety on 01/03/2024 at 03:01

Seizure notice & potential for letter of indemnity - Adampr

Sorry this has happened. My main takeaway would be that you should always insure (and tax) a car yourself before collecting it. You can cancel a policy without penalty if you choose not to complete the purchase.

Seizure notice & potential for letter of indemnity - SLO76
Trust no one and yes you need to cover a car you’ve bought as your policy won’t cover you under the driving another car not owned by you terms. But you can check to see if there’s a policy showing on the motor insurance database by looking it up here.

ownvehicle.askmid.com/#
Seizure of notice & potential for letter of indemnity - Chris M

Once ownership transferred from the seller to the buyer, the seller wouldn't have an insurable interest and the insurance would end. I doubt the OP is the first to try falsely using the 'driving other cars' clause but unlike many, he got caught.

Edited by Chris M on 01/03/2024 at 10:17

Seizure of notice & potential for letter of indemnity - 90Ninety

Once ownership transferred from the seller to the buyer, the seller wouldn't have an insurable interest and the insurance would end. I doubt the OP is the first to try falsely using the 'driving other cars' clause but unlike many, he got caught.

It wasn't under false pretences , just lack of judgement and a mistake my end

Never the less a learning curve . 6 Points and £300 fine , not the end of the world

Seizure notice & potential for letter of indemnity - Andrew-T

<< I think the seller had lied to get a fast sale due to disputes of parking said car. >>

As it was the 29th, perhaps he wanted to save a month's VED ?

Seizure notice & potential for letter of indemnity - RT

Even if the car had been insured, it's worth noting that the "driving other cars" can't apply once you've bought it as "not owned by you" is one of the conditions - and of course the tax/VED can't be transferred to the new owner so needs to be done before driving away.

Seizure notice & potential for letter of indemnity - skidpan

You do realise that when you use the "driving other vehicles" clause in you policy (note, not all have it) you are only covered 3rd party regardless of the cover you have on your own car. So if you stuff your new motor on the way home and its your fault you will get nothing.

Considering that the buyer will need to insure the car to start using it why not simply be prepared and sort the insurance beforehand and tax the car before you drive off. The cost will be zero extra over leaving it a few hours.

The OP only has themselves to blame.

Seizure notice & potential for letter of indemnity - leaseman

I believe that the OP has learnt their lesson and rubbing salt into the wound will not help. I am, therefore, closing this thread.