Mazda 3 2007 1.6 gasoline - Cruise control retrofitting - Mechgoblin

Hi everyone,

Do you have any experience with the Mazda3 cruise control retrofitting regarding this model and year? It is not yet the drive-by-wire variant, and the retrofitting aesthetics would mean not factory looks, but a button or a handle next to the steering wheel.

My question is, does it worth it? Would it function properly, wouldn't interfere with the other systems of the car when it malfunctions? The non-factory look wouldn't decrease the price of the car when I try to sell it in the future?

I'm planning to do it with a reputable and reliable service in my country who are specialized on this, but I'm not sure about the long-term effects...

Thank you for your answers in advance!

Edited by Mechgoblin on 28/11/2023 at 14:33

Mazda 3 2007 1.6 gasoline - Cruise control retrofitting - Engineer Andy

Given the car's age (only a year or two younger than mine), in my view it's not worth the time, trouble and expense, assuming it could be done at all.

Bear in mind that the car's throttle in not a drive-by wire system but a mechanical one, so it may not be technically possible, at least using any 'off-the-shelf' system, if there are such things.

You may also find that any 'warranty' offered by a firm fitting a system may well be short and also have lots of caveats to avoid paying out if problems occur post-fitting, given the system interacting with parts that are hardly new.

In my view, better to either stick with what you've got (significant tinkering with older cars is IMHO fraught with difficulties and possibly huge bills) or sell the car and buy a newer one that does have a drive-by-wire throttle system with cruise control.

Mazda 3 2007 1.6 gasoline - Cruise control retrofitting - elekie&a/c doctor
I’ve fitted loads of aftermarket cruise control systems to cars with conventional cable throttle systems. There’s no specific kit for your car , so a universal system would have to be used and tailored to work on your vehicle. Is it worth it ? Probably not for the amount of work involved.
Mazda 3 2007 1.6 gasoline - Cruise control retrofitting - bathtub tom

A seventeen-year-old car? Perhaps a hand throttle from the '20s would be appropriate?

Mazda 3 2007 1.6 gasoline - Cruise control retrofitting - Engineer Andy
I’ve fitted loads of aftermarket cruise control systems to cars with conventional cable throttle systems. There’s no specific kit for your car , so a universal system would have to be used and tailored to work on your vehicle. Is it worth it ? Probably not for the amount of work involved.

Especially, as I've found recently, when some things go wrong on an older car, secondary issues mean that a big bill could ensue. I think it's best to keep the money set aside for such an eventuality or to put towards a replacement car, one which comes with cruise as standard.