Audi A3 Sportback - Car occasionally decides it doesn't want to start! - Josie Collins

Trying to work out what is wrong with my car (2005 tdi). It occasionally doesnt start but still ticks over fine. It has also started on 2nd or 3rd try a few times. When it has refused to start I have been able to jump it fine but the last time it happened it wouldnt start from jumping it and had to bump it. Battery and alternator are fine. My Dad didn't think it was the starter but the person who helped me bump it last time said they think it could be the starter sticking ??‍??

It went to the garage for a mot a while ago and was fine before however there wasnt a great amount of diesel in the car (would have been enough for a simple mot) and they ended up doing some work on it to do with high emissions where they put a trearment in and took the car for a drive. When I picked it up there was barely anything left in it. I drove it a little way to a garage and got some. Its since this has happened this problem has started so not sure if it could be related to that.

Thinking to just ring the garage on Monday to see if they have any ideas what problem could be which might be easier. My Dads not bad with cars and generally sorts out any problems I have but think he might be stumped with this one!

Audi A3 Sportback - Car occasionally decides it doesn't want to start! - elekie&a/c doctor
Are you sure the battery is up to strength. Very important, especially with a diesel.
Audi A3 Sportback - Car occasionally decides it doesn't want to start! - Big John

As above - a good battery is critical.

Which engine is fitted? It it's the pd ( Pumpe Deuse) then the tandem pump (both vacuum servo pump/ fuel pump) is a known fail point.