MK6 GOLF 1.6 TDI DIESEL 2010 CAYC - Oil pooling around injectors/intermittent low oil - Yudote

Hi all,

I am recently having an issue where I get an intermittent low oil pressure warning on the dash. First time I got this message I pulled over and checked oil level and found it to be quite low, which is strange as I've not noticed any leaks/smoke. I did notice a small amount of oily residue around the injectors on top of the engine block - also strange.

Anyway I did an oil and filter change and have since driven the car for a few hours, same issue - intermittent oil pressure low. Appears completely random, twice on a 2 hour journey.

I've checked oil again, and I now note that there is a large pool of oil collecting inside the injectors. I plan to clean it out thoroughly tomorrow and see it comes back again. Also visible oil scorch marks on top of the plastic engine cover suggesting the oil has been burnt off (strong smell of oil inside bonnet too).

My question is what could be causing the oil to pool in this area and also could it be linked to the intermittent low oil pressure warning?

Should I change the oil pressure sensor as well?

Thanks in advance

MK6 GOLF 1.6 TDI DIESEL 2010 CAYC - Oil pooling around injectors/intermittent low oil - Adampr

Sounds like the rocker cover gasket leaking

MK6 GOLF 1.6 TDI DIESEL 2010 CAYC - Oil pooling around injectors/intermittent low oil - elekie&a/c doctor
Are you sure it’s engine oil and not diesel ? Whatever it is , it’s not going to cause the low pressure light to come on. I would get the oil pressure checked before going any further. The oil pump on these is belt driven, so suggest it’s looked at soon .

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 11/07/2023 at 22:13

MK6 GOLF 1.6 TDI DIESEL 2010 CAYC - Oil pooling around injectors/intermittent low oil - edlithgow
No knowledge of this engine, but a priori low oil level (which the OP reports) and low oil pressure correlation does not sound all that mysterious, plus if leaking oil gets on the oil pump belt drve ( oh, dearie me, WHAT a good idea) thatd perhaps explain a certain irregularity in its output.