Golf MK7 - Broken Parts in Door Mirror - Pedxxx

Our car had an argument with a garage door frame. The door mirror indicator was smashed and has now been replaced but doesn't fit in properly. The outside edge is loose between the indicator, cap and lower section. The lower (plastic) section that houses the puddle light is also damaged. This includes a smashed screw housing so the indicator doesn't attach on one side. Does anybody know how to replace this as the plastic on this part seems to surround the hinge on folding mechanism with a triangular hole? I can buy a part cheaply but if I can't fit it then it is pointless. The Golf service manual does show this part but not how to replace. It must be possible as it is sold separately.

The clips on the mirror cap are also broken which doesn't help the whole thing to fit together however I know how to do this. The lower section on the other hand I don't.

I'd imagine a lot of VAG cars are similar so this question isn't necessarily for Golf owners.

Phil, Newcastle

Edited by Pedxxx on 02/05/2023 at 15:16

Golf MK7 - Broken Parts in Door Mirror - elekie&a/c doctor
Looks like you need a complete mirror unit . Get a non genuine unit from free bay .
Looks like you need a complete mirror unit . Get a non genuine unit from free bay .

Thanks looks like I'll have to go that way.

Golf MK7 - Broken Parts in Door Mirror - Andrew-T

I doubt it would be worth trying to find parts of a complex mirror unit instead of the whole thing, especially as it runs the risk of getting an incorrect part. Look for the whole mirror on E-bay. If it's a question of colour-matching the outer shell, that is often transferable between whole mirror units - if yours is not too damaged.

Thanks