Renault Austral - First Impressions - mcb100
I’m currently running a Renault Austral, ahead of its launch in the UK later this summer.
Only had it a couple of days, but probably done 300 miles so far.
It’s the replacement for the Kadjar, in that it’s a C segment SUV, with a 1.2 ICE linked to a full hybrid system.
This one, to give it its full name is a Renault Austral E-Tech Iconic Esprit Alpine.
So far, it’s quiet and comfortable, has 200ps and is doing c50mpg with a mixture of motorway and extra urban driving.
It’s continuing Renault’s adoption of Android Automotive, so you just treat the centre screen as s tablet and give it voice commands after saying ‘Hey, Google’.
Lots of toys to play with and updates to follow if anyone’s interested.
Renault Austral - First Impressions - badbusdriver

This one, to give it its full name is a Renault Austral E-Tech Iconic Esprit Alpine.

Catchy!

Renault Austral - First Impressions - skidpan

Catchy!

Must be a wide car to get that on the back.

Renault Austral - First Impressions - _

Do you know the cost of the cam belt change on those. Sell before it's due.. the bon hybrid cars with that engine are £1500 plus vat wondering if more on the hybrid ones.

Renault Austral - First Impressions - Brit_in_Germany

Are you sure it is not the new chain version?

No idea, you tell me.

1drv.ms/f/s!AuMkRafLnOYXg5AN8iIS7uxeSDdOTA

I do know it’s a new, 1.2 litre 3 cylinder.

The 1.2 that’s been around a few years now is a four pot.

Renault Austral - First Impressions - Adampr

It's the HR12 engine, which is 3 cylinder with a timing chain

Renault Austral - First Impressions - Engineer Andy

Catchy!

Must be a wide car to get that on the back.

Maybe its the extra room for skis, like the Bond car?

‘Do you know the cost of the cam belt change on those. Sell before it's due.. the bon hybrid cars with that engine are £1500 plus vat wondering if more on the hybrid ones.’

That’s making the assumption I’ve bought it…
No idea on the cambelt costs, it’s a new powertrain about which we’re still finding, apart from the fact that it’s a 1.2 triple. I’ve still no idea what the transmission is, information is still coming through from France ahead of taking it to the dealer network.

Edited by mcb100 on 01/05/2023 at 20:30

Renault Austral - First Impressions - sammy1

The OPs has told the forum in the not to distant past that his job is to assess cars for a living What he owns and drives if anything I do not know. He is a very useful person to have on the forum as his knowledge particularly of EVs is very good

Renault Austral - First Impressions - daveyK_UK
The question is - would you buy one?

Renault Austral - First Impressions - Steveieb

My partners Captur 1.3 T has been 100% reliable to my surprise but speak to any recovery driver and they will tell you that Renault is a brand to definitely avoid.

A customer of mine changed from an Audi Q5 to a Renault Arkana hybrid, must be coming up for around a year ago now. Haven't asked what they think of it, but they strike me as the kind of folk that would get shot of it quick enough if they went off it, or if it was unreliable.

‘ The question is - would you buy one? ’

I wouldn’t, simply because if I was to spend that amount of money on a new car it wouldn’t have an ICE. But as a hybrid SUV, it’s very impressive. I do like the technology onboard, very intuitive to operate, though I am familiar with it from another brand.
In answer to Sammy’s question, I’m a proponent of bangernomics. I currently own a 62 registered Megane Coupé 1.6 diesel which gets me around the country to jobs, but will probably be sitting outside the house until mid-June whilst I’ve got the Austral.
My previous five cars have been bought for a grand total of maybe £9000, run into the ground and sent to scrap.
Prior to the Megane, I was in a 2007 Jaguar S-Type diesel that did c40,000 miles for me, but that did include 12 months pretty much idle whilst Covid dictated I worked from home. That, too went off to be recycled.
Renault Austral - First Impressions - John F
The question is - would you buy one?

No.

Renault Austral Review (2023)

Parkers

www.parkers.co.uk › Car reviews › Renault

11 Oct 2022 — As for pricing, expect the high-specification Austral to start from around £35,000, though Renault is well known for offering tempting financing .

Our brand new top-of-the-range SUV runabout (Peugeot 2008 Allure Premium 1.2 EAT6 130 - but only a modest '2008' on the boot lid) admittedly around a foot shorter and a bit narrower, cost less than half that in Oct 2019. It will do a below average mileage so I expect it to last at least another sixteen years - a life expectancy greater than mine!

Edited by John F on 02/05/2023 at 09:14

Apples & oranges job, that one.

A better comparison with a 2008 is Captur.
A better comparison with Austral is a 3008.
Apples & oranges job, that one. A better comparison with a 2008 is Captur. A better comparison with Austral is a 3008.

Also, when John bought his 2008, the all new 2008 was imminent. So unless comparing the price when the original Captur was about to be replaced, it wouldn't really be a fair comparison either.

‘My partners Captur 1.3 T has been 100% reliable to my surprise but speak to any recovery driver and they will tell you that Renault is a brand to definitely avoid.’

But go to a much larger data set - providers of used car warranties - and you’ll find Renault comfortably in the top half of brands.
After 6 weeks and 4500 miles, the Austral is being collected tomorrow.
As my original post, it’s been a quiet and comfortable companion, except when the harman/kardon stereo is cranked up.
It’s been faultless, matched WLTP fuel economy on motorway runs (not usually a hybrid’s favoured environment for economy) and I’ll be sorry to see it go.
Renault Austral - First Impressions - paul 1963

Thanks MCB, always enjoy your mini test reports, what's next?

Thank you.

It’s back to full EV next with a Vauxhall Astra E for a few days towards the end of the month, with Polestar 2 in the interim. And a couple of days clattering about in my old Megane Coupé.
Renault Austral - First Impressions - SLO76
Just thinking about how much money you’d lose by buying one of these new and in how unreliable it’ll no doubt become as all those toys start to go wrong fills me with dread. I like the look of most current gen Renaults but they’ve not showered themselves in glory regarding engine reliability in recent years never mind all the unnecessary tech that they’re carrying.

The best of the brand were the models they produced in the mid to late 90’s. The first gen Laguna with the simple non-turbo 8v petrol and 2.2 12v diesel engines was a genuinely good car, the Clio Mk I was simple and long lived and the Safrane was much more robust than its French rivals, especially the Volvo engined 2.5 20v models.

I spoke too soon about my partners Captur.

The dab radio has failed , which is a common fault resulting in parts availability running into months.

At one time the parts departments kept them in stock because they were regularly called for . Now you are told to wait minus a working radio.

My hairdressers Kadjar was off the road for 6 weeks after the dealer failed to fix the radio and Renault refused to replace it , insisting on software updates.

Renault Austral - First Impressions - sammy1

I spoke too soon about my partners Captur.

The dab radio has failed , which is a common fault resulting in parts availability running into months.

At one time the parts departments kept them in stock because they were regularly called for . Now you are told to wait minus a working radio.

My hairdressers Kadjar was off the road for 6 weeks after the dealer failed to fix the radio and Renault refused to replace it , insisting on software updates.

Sad day when a car is out off the road for a radio fix. Time was it was an engine or gearbox

I expect radios go into the great wash of vehicle reliability so the rest of the car is rubbish?

‘ Just thinking about how much money you’d lose by buying one of these new’

CAP disagree with you with best in class RV’s leading to very good PCP figures.
Renault Austral - First Impressions - pd
Just thinking about how much money you’d lose by buying one of these new and in how unreliable it’ll no doubt become as all those toys start to go wrong fills me with dread. I like the look of most current gen Renaults but they’ve not showered themselves in glory regarding engine reliability in recent years never mind all the unnecessary tech that they’re carrying..

Whilst the tech may be unnecessary from the point of view of it functioning as a car, for Renault to actually sell any it is vital. So it isn't unnecessary to Renault anyway.

The simple fact is a big chunk of the buying public expect and require this tech, particularly things like good Apple/Android integration. People simply won't buy cars without it. Even a base Dacia Sandero offers it.

“CAP disagree with you with best in class RV’s leading to very good PCP figures.”

Very surprised by that, I’ll wager they’re wrong though. High end Renaults tend to drop like a stone used. Every single one they’ve ever made has, so I expect this to also.
Renault Austral - First Impressions - paul 1963
“CAP disagree with you with best in class RV’s leading to very good PCP figures.” Very surprised by that, I’ll wager they’re wrong though. High end Renaults tend to drop like a stone used. Every single one they’ve ever made has, so I expect this to also.

SLO, mate, give it a rest, your a bus driver that used to sell second hand cars years ago, if you were that really clued up you'd still be doing it and making a fortune.

Your insistence that a certain brand or a certain engine will either lose a ton of money or blow up are simply based on what you choose to read or believe not on real world everyday experience as is your insistence that everyone should rush out and buy a Masda despite never owning one, ( seem to remember your lovely Volvo turned out to be a pup and if my memory hasn't failed me you got tucked up on the Honda, wrong tyres fitted, old battery left in the boot etc).

As I've mentioned before I'm in the motor trade ( currently in the parts supply business, although I've been around cars since I was 20 including 20 years at Mclaren), apart from service items I honestly can't remember I supplied anything major for a Renault.

Mods, I know you'll probably delete this but I don't think the above is at all offensive?

Link and comment deleted.

Maybe not offensive but lacking in diplomacy.

Mod

Edited by Xileno on 14/06/2023 at 21:56

Renault Austral - First Impressions - Adampr

As I've said before, I was amazed at the quality of the new(ish) Captur when I test drove one and it totally changed my opinion of Renaults. They went through a bad patch 15-20 years ago, especially with electrics it seems. Even the last generation models may well have been competent, but they looked and felt cheap (I have a Twingo on my drive to prove it). We had one of the new Meganes parked up at work today, and it looked very smart.

“ SLO, mate, give it a rest, your a bus driver that used to sell second hand cars years ago, if you were that really clued up you'd still be doing it and making a fortune.” Not many making a fortune from flogging used cars these days sadly. I enjoyed my time in the trade, but today being a small time trader is really not viable, you just can’t buy decent stock. Even large chains are failing and all of the family owned main dealers in my area are gone now, these are the guys I bought from locally and the last one to fall was our local Kia dealer. The big chain dealers won’t deal with traders. I think those who’ve bought and sold cars in numbers have an opinion worthy of hearing when it comes to buying cars, even if I do have a natural aversion to wasting money on new examples. You are most welcome to ignore it. Fair point though that I have little to offer anyone buying new, I really don’t take much interest in new cars, they are to me overpriced and over-complex on the whole. There’s not many that appeal to me. But you can certainly see from the past that high end Renaults drop heavily in value from new, maybe they’ve reversed this with the new car by restricting supply, only time will tell.

Deleted last paragraph that makes no sense now the original link above removed. Mod

Edited by Xileno on 14/06/2023 at 22:04

Renault Austral - First Impressions - Metropolis.
I know I am not making any meaningful contribution to the thread (no change there then, probably), but I have to chip in and say what a remarkably measured response the above was from SLO. I hope you remain on the forum, I might not agree with your preference for Mk2 Shoguns over the home-grown equivalents :-) but you are bang on the money most of the time and alongside a couple others the contributors I make a point of reading if I see a post.

As to Renault I think you are right. We only need to look at the fallen reputation of once proud Nissan to see what Renault parts are up to. Even in this thread there are two examples of bits failing on modern Renaults.

Better to do what the French do with their domestics, buy in a low spec! It is also easier when it is the national brand, parts supply normally much better provided the relevant OEMs are based in France as well.

I am not sure why a failed head unit should result in a car being off the road though, unless it is for some reason connected to the drive functions.
“ I hope you remain on the forum, I might not agree with your preference for Mk2 Shoguns over the home-grown equivalents :-)”

Thanks.

Determined to grow a thicker online skin, I’m genuine in that I want to help people and I accept that opinions on what constitutes a good used car do vary a great deal.
Renault Austral - First Impressions - Xileno

Renault went through a really bad patch with some of their models in the 2000 to 2004 period, mainly MK2 models of the Scenic, Megane and Laguna. I had a Megane of that period and it wasn't too bad but Parkers forum was heaving with woes on these models. The later MK2s were better and the MK3 actually quite good cars. I have no experience of the very latest models except two Capturs as hire cars and liked them both. Very comfortable and far better built than I was expecting.

Edited by Xileno on 14/06/2023 at 22:18

Renault Austral - First Impressions - expat
I know I am not making any meaningful contribution to the thread (no change there then, probably), but I have to chip in and say what a remarkably measured response the above was from SLO. I hope you remain on the forum, I might not agree with your preference for Mk2 Shoguns over the home-grown equivalents :-) but you are bang on the money most of the time and alongside a couple others the contributors I make a point of reading if I see a post. .

I agree. SLOs posts are reasoned, sensible and spring from years of experience at the low end of the market which is where things can be trickiest. His comments are invariably helpful and have saved many people from expensive mistakes.
Renault Austral - First Impressions - Hugh Watt

Excellent post, may I say - as an extremely occasional and tentative contributor, I was about to express the same thought about SLO and his (as you say) measured response!

“ seem to remember your lovely Volvo turned out to be a pup and if my memory hasn't failed me you got tucked up on the Honda, wrong tyres fitted, old battery left in the boot etc).”

The Volvo was unlucky, despite doing all the right things it turned out to be a pup, that happens. Fortunately thanks to the mad prices I got pretty much all of my money back on it. The Honda (if you’d bothered to read anything I wrote about it) was a brilliant little car I’d rather have kept. Sadly SWMBO wanted an EV so an EV is now in the drive. The tyres were down to dealer error, again It was a case of walk and leave an excellent example of the car over a set of tyres, I opted to keep it. The battery in the boot caused me no grief at all.
“as is your insistence that everyone should rush out and buy a Mazda despite never owning one”

I’ve owned several actually, two MX5’s, a 323 1.5 GLX, a 3 1.6 TS and a Mk II 6 2.0 petrol. I’ve flogged loads of them too, with minimal fuss and no major failures. I rate them because in general they’re great. The petrol models are as reliable as equivalent Toyotas but they drive better in my opinion.

Edited by SLO76 on 14/06/2023 at 21:50

Renault Austral - First Impressions - Xileno

Removed some unnecessary content. Can we please remember to be respectful to other contributors even if we might not agree with what they have written. This is a forum for all to contribute their experiences and opinions and enjoy.

Thanks

Mod

Totally agree with the moderators intervention.

Very few of us own up to our buying mistakes and are totally honest like SLO.

Lets keep the content respectful of other people’s feelings otherwise we will be losing experienced contributors in their droves

Renault Austral - First Impressions - Andrew b knowles

Just picked this thread up, so a bit late, anybody else got a new Austral iconic, have just ordered one and hoping someone else has got some views on them, good or bad.

If you’re on Facebook, there’s a dedicated Austral group.