Mazda6 vs Mondeo - MarkJF

Hi

I'm currently looking for a used car and have recently been looking at a couple and trying to compare, however my knowledge is fairly terrible and a lot of the technical spec stuff is confusing so I thought I'd ask here.

The 2 I've been looking at today are both 2012, the Mondeo is a 1.6T EcoBoost Titanium and the Mazda6 is the 2.0 Skyactiv-G Sport. Both appear to have been well maintained with reasonable service history and new MOT's, the Mazda has done 120,000 miles and the Mondeo 75,000.

Just after some advice if there's anything I need to be aware of with either and whether anyone has experience of driving either model. Alternatively if someone wants to suggest an alternative in the £5-£6k range I'm after a reliable family car of similar size.

Thanks for any help.

Mazda6 vs Mondeo - badbusdriver

The Mondeo is turbo but the Mazda is n/a (naturally aspirated). So while their power outputs are not that far apart and the Mazda's 0-62 time is only 0.7 seconds off the Mondeo's, be in no doubt that the Mondeo will feel much more muscular in everyday use. The torque figure comparison explains all with the Mazda offering a relatively modest 193nm at a highish 4500rpm next to the Mondeo's 240nm from 1600-4000rpm. What this means to you is that in order to keep pace with a Mondeo, you will need to be working the engine harder and you will need to change gear more often.

Reliability?, well the Mazda would usually be considered the better bet. Not that the Ford is likely to be unreliable, just not as reliable as the Mazda. That does rather rely on the car having been looked after though, so I'm put off by your use of "reasonable service history". The Mazda is a chain drive, which some folk think of as the holy grail for reliability, but in fact without proper maintenance this can have its own problems. The Mondeo (AFAIK) is belt drive, so you need to ensure that you are not buying a car where this is either overdue or needs doing shortly.

One last point, you have not said whether these are manual or auto. If auto, I'd leave the Mondeo as that Powershift DCT transmission doesn't have a great reputation.

Mazda6 vs Mondeo - Ex Alfa mail

Difficult to fault or add any further value to what BBD says. Very well written.

Mazda6 vs Mondeo - paul 1963

Difficult to fault or add any further value to what BBD says. Very well written.

Totally agree, the one thing I would add ands it's Totally personal is the the ford is the better looking car..

Mazda6 vs Mondeo - Engineer Andy

The Mondeo is turbo but the Mazda is n/a (naturally aspirated). So while their power outputs are not that far apart and the Mazda's 0-62 time is only 0.7 seconds off the Mondeo's, be in no doubt that the Mondeo will feel much more muscular in everyday use. The torque figure comparison explains all with the Mazda offering a relatively modest 193nm at a highish 4500rpm next to the Mondeo's 240nm from 1600-4000rpm. What this means to you is that in order to keep pace with a Mondeo, you will need to be working the engine harder and you will need to change gear more often.

Reliability?, well the Mazda would usually be considered the better bet. Not that the Ford is likely to be unreliable, just not as reliable as the Mazda. That does rather rely on the car having been looked after though, so I'm put off by your use of "reasonable service history". The Mazda is a chain drive, which some folk think of as the holy grail for reliability, but in fact without proper maintenance this can have its own problems. The Mondeo (AFAIK) is belt drive, so you need to ensure that you are not buying a car where this is either overdue or needs doing shortly.

One last point, you have not said whether these are manual or auto. If auto, I'd leave the Mondeo as that Powershift DCT transmission doesn't have a great reputation.

From a handling pov, I doubt if there's much in them as they are both from the time when Ford had a ite-up with Mazda and shared platforms - I'm presuming these two cars did as the Focus m2 and Mazda3 gen-1 did, etc.

Personal preference really as well as certain reliability issues with some sub components either car may or may not have. Still, with older cars, as long as it's not seriously corroding, has a full service history and no bad record of MOT failures (more of a guide to how well previous owners looked after them than anything else), worth a look for not much outlay if ok on inspection by someone with experience. At that age, there will be some consumables to replace every so often - mainly suspension parts and brakes, and if you're unlucky, the odd electrical gremlin or A/C issue.

I personally (as a Mazda fan and long-standing car owner) am less keen on the looks of the 2nd-gen 6 than the 1st or 3rd, but it's no that bad.

The OP should familiarise themselves with the Reviews section for both cars, especially the 'Good' (and Bad) subsections.

Thanks for the detailed advice BBD, and for everyone else that's given me plenty to think about, it just demonstrates how little I know.

It's the petrol manual, as opposed to auto so that sounds like a good thing, I definitely prefer the looks of the Mondeo. Had another look at the ad for it and noticed it's got full service history, also asked the guy some extra questions and all seems good. The car has passed it's last 5 MOT's with no advisories so all in all looking like a good bet.

Last serviced 7k miles ago, had new rear trailing arm bushes, new gear box oil seals and new rear discs and pads all fitted 2021.

I'll keep looking and do a bit more research from the reviews on here that someone mentioned and take it from there.

Mazda6 vs Mondeo - Hoping
I can’t fault the advice already given, however I owned a Mazda 6 from new to 65,000 mainly motorway miles. It was diesel and never had an issue, my only comment is that the Mazda was quite noisy in the cabin but that was on 19 inch wheels if that is of importance. The natural aspiration engine of the Mazda won’t feel great low down but at least you won’t have to worry about replacing the expensive turbo
Mazda6 vs Mondeo - elekie&a/c doctor
Absolutely nothing wrong with the Mondeo as a car , but the current breed of Ecoboost engines are not the most reliable. If it’s got the power shift auto , then you’ve got double trouble. I guess the Mazda would be more reliable, but not sure if it’s any better to drive .

It's the petrol manual, as opposed to auto so that sounds like a good thing, I definitely prefer the looks of the Mondeo. Had another look at the ad for it and noticed it's got full service history, also asked the guy some extra questions and all seems good. The car has passed it's last 5 MOT's with no advisories so all in all looking like a good bet.

Last serviced 7k miles ago, had new rear trailing arm bushes, new gear box oil seals and new rear discs and pads all fitted 2021.

I'll keep looking and do a bit more research from the reviews on here that someone mentioned and take it from there.

TBH, I wouldn't bother.

With what you have said re service and MOT history, it being a manual and your preferring its looks, I'd go with the Mondeo.

Sounds like a good example, if you waste time pondering all other options, someone else will snap it up.

Fair point mate, one last question which had slipped my mind, but are these chain or belt driven?

I've looked online but can't tell, my old focus belt needed changing at 100k mile or 10 years, given this Mondeos age I guess the belt would need doing if it hasn't been already.

Mazda6 vs Mondeo - elekie&a/c doctor
All Ecoboost engines are belt drive . Think it’s 10years or 100k miles . It’s important to keep an eye on coolant level and any overheating issues on these engines .

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 10/02/2023 at 11:40

Thanks for the advice, and for the further advice from BBD. Yep it was a fairly major point for me to overlook so I'll check that out and see if it's been done, if not I'll get a price on getting it done before I make him an offer.

Cheers

Mazda6 vs Mondeo - expat

Thanks for the advice, and for the further advice from BBD. Yep it was a fairly major point for me to overlook so I'll check that out and see if it's been done, if not I'll get a price on getting it done before I make him an offer.

Allow for the cost in your offer and don't let the vendor say he will do it. If he does it he might get some shonky set up to do it cheap whereas if you get it done you can choose who does it and get the tensioners and the water pump changed at the same time if necessary.

Fair point mate, one last question which had slipped my mind, but are these chain or belt driven?

I've looked online but can't tell, my old focus belt needed changing at 100k mile or 10 years, given this Mondeos age I guess the belt would need doing if it hasn't been already.

Mazda is definitely chain. I think the Mondeo is belt but not 100% sure. I did mention that specifically earlier and thought that would have been included in the extra questions you asked the seller.

Not sure about the 4 cyl Ecoboost as used in the Mondeo, but on the 1.0 3cyl version, apparently changing the belt is a big job. So if the belt is due, definitely find out how big and/or expensive this will be before committing to buy.

Mazda6 vs Mondeo - John F

Can't get over the fact that one car has done 45,000 miles more than the other, i.e. over three years average use. Things tend to get tired after 100,000 miles; steering components, wheel bearings, suspension parts, relays, etc..... The OP doesn't mention the expected annual mileage but even I, as a low annual mileage driver who has always preferred used cars with up to 80,000 on the clock for best VFM, wouldn't buy a car well into six figures unless it was really cheap. Also, which is likely to need corrosion related repairs? After 10yrs, an underside inspection would be advisable to compare how the sills and subframes have coped with the ravages of many winters.

Edited by John F on 11/02/2023 at 08:53

Mazda6 vs Mondeo - paul 1963

Tend to agree John, the Mazda must have been a company car at some point?

Still think I'd take the ford..

Mazda6 vs Mondeo - Grenache

Late to add my post here, but here's for what it's worth...

I have a 2012 Mazda 6 with the 2.2 diesel engine. I've had it from new as a personal car (not a company car) and still doing well at 184,000 miles. Most of my driving is motorways/A roads so DPF has never been an issue.

Replacing wheel bearings are not a major thing either as they tend to get noisy before needing replaced, and not expensive either.

I live in Scotland so the car is starting to get a bit rusty underneath with winter salt on the roads, but it can't be that bad as I am still on the original exhaust.