Dacia Spring - What is going on with Dacia and safety?! - JonestHon

Renault and Nissan seem to hit modern safety targets relatively high and constant, not so with Dacia. I was reading a thread here about the Jogger and the Spring; both sound like interesting cars, although for different usage, so I had a look at their safety record, and it seems something is going amiss with this brand.

Zero stars? For the Zoe, 1 star for the Jogger, 1 star for the Spring?

The reports show that the bog-standard passive safety is scoring ok but low if it's not fitted as standard, not just the usual modern safety gizmos built into new cars. So is it only the low specified models or is this across all models sold?

www.euroncap.com/en/ratings-rewards/latest-safety-...e

Edited by JonestHon on 16/04/2022 at 06:27

Dacia Spring - What is going on with Dacia and safety?! - daveyK_UK
The NCAP test has changed considerably, additional features such as automatic braking, lane departure warning, etc are now required to gain stars.
These technical extras are expensive and not simple.

Dacia competes on price and value, the additional safety gizmos required to gain more stars on modern NCAP do not benefit the vehicle owner and are directed towards a wider safety culture of vehicle usage.
For example, the Jogger score is perfectly acceptable for the driver and passenger but low for pedestrians and warning of potential accidents.

I don’t have a problem with this.
In an ideal world all vehicles would score 100% in all categories but we don’t live in an ideal world.
Furthermore the Dacia Jogger may benefit in terms of long term reliability by not having the additional electrical accident warning technology.

No one wants an accident but as a vehicle owner your priority is to make sure you and your occupants are safe and the Dacia Jogger does that adequately.
Dacia Spring - What is going on with Dacia and safety?! - Andrew-T
In an ideal world all vehicles would score 100% in all categories but we don’t live in an ideal world..

If that was the case there would be no point in a league table, so some other features would be found to present some sort of hierarchy, to justify higher prices !! That may well be the point of some of the unnecessary gizmos already there.

Edited by Andrew-T on 16/04/2022 at 09:36

Dacia Spring - What is going on with Dacia and safety?! - Xileno

Dacia body rigidity looks very good. Things have certainly moved on from the days of the old Metro / Rover 100 which deformed badly.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIJ7EDHrwPQ

Dacia Spring - What is going on with Dacia and safety?! - Terry W

I suspect the major manufacturers have used their not inconsiderable influence to ensure that NCAP favour the technically complex - the helps increase sales and differentiate themselves from the low cost/price competition.

Dacia Spring - What is going on with Dacia and safety?! - bazza

Yes it seems that the biggest corporations have influenced NCAP to favour active safety gizmos to the extent that it has devalued the star rating such that it is relatively meaningless now. Two scores would be better, one for active and one for passive safety. Organisations such as Which? Haven't helped either to be honest, with their list of "don't buys" based on star rating. Manufacturers know that safety sells and modern society has been conditioned to be much more risk averse than previously. Obviously safer cars are a good thing, but the dumbing down of complex data into a set of stars is unhelpful. What really matters to me and I imagine many others is how safe my car is when it all goes badly wrong, gizmos or not .

Dacia Spring - What is going on with Dacia and safety?! - galileo

Yes it seems that the biggest corporations have influenced NCAP to favour active safety gizmos to the extent that it has devalued the star rating such that it is relatively meaningless now. Two scores would be better, one for active and one for passive safety. Organisations such as Which? Haven't helped either to be honest, with their list of "don't buys" based on star rating. Manufacturers know that safety sells and modern society has been conditioned to be much more risk averse than previously. Obviously safer cars are a good thing, but the dumbing down of complex data into a set of stars is unhelpful. What really matters to me and I imagine many others is how safe my car is when it all goes badly wrong, gizmos or not .

The unintended consequence of all these 'safety' features is that drivers assume they are protected to such an extent they can drive without the concentration, observation and awareness of other users that is really the key to avoiding accidents.

Too many drive too fast, too close, oblivious to conditions, with a false sense they are invulnerable.

Dacia Spring - What is going on with Dacia and safety?! - Engineer Andy

The problem with a score out of 100 is that when the scores first are used, a very lwo total has to be used because advancements in the tech mean that the score will only go in one direction. It would mean that vehicles would initially all have very low scores, which would likely put off customers.

The problem with going the other way, as was the case for eco ratings for energy usage is that, like with educational grade inflation, you quickly get way too many getting 'A' and thus you get the ridicuolous state of affairs of A++ etc, etc.

It's even worse now with the NCAP scores because older cars keep the score/rating they were originally given, but obviously there were done using older tech to a lower weighted score.

The only way around this, as far as I can see is for the current rating to get a score out of 100 overall, and when the authorities change the testing to account for new tech, they need to add in and update (each time one is changed) the old scores by adding a new 'weighted muliplier', e.g. (hypothetical)

Original score in 2005 of 80 / 100

Latest test is 4 generations hence, so the scores from the 2005 is weighted by a factor of 0.6, thus the 'comparable' score is 48 / 100.

Probably not perfect either, especially as some safety advancements have made far more of an impact (especially in the early years) on death and serious injury rates (all other things being equal) than others.

The problem as I see it is that firstly the politicians and quango chiefs want to be seen to be 'improving safety' year-on-year so it's in their interests, PR-wise (really only with the media, twitterati and actvisist, not with most of the public), to keep saying yes to ever higher safety standards even if that means cars at the cheaper end of the market become uneconomic.

Much the same can be said for 'environmental' measures, both of which give a reducing balance of improvements and often paper over the negative effects. Cars like the Dacia with low or no star ratings on NCAP tests are likely safer than my 2005-built Mazda3, which 'has' a 4 star rating, but from a far older (and thus less strngent) test standard.

In my view, higher NCAP ratings (and thus safety features) also encourage more people to be (more) reckless in their driving because they believe the car will 'get them out of trouble'. Unfortunately that won't still be the case in many circumstances, and none of them will keep you alive if you are hit with any force by an HGV or are doing over a ton on the motorway and come acropper.

In my view, it is ridiculous that such new cars cannot be judged fairly. Driving safety is as much about the skill and judgement of the driver (including of the road and weather conditions) as it is about the crash resistance and safety features fitted to the car.

Dacia Spring - What is going on with Dacia and safety?! - Andrew-T

Probably not perfect either, ....

No league-table system will ever be perfect, because most of them have an unintended feedback effect. Another example is the regular quotes of people below the 'poverty level'; which is basically defined by moving variables. So any attempt to 'eliminate' poverty can never happen, by definition - unless the bar is left very low.

In the case we are discussing, to stay up with the game, makers have to invent increasingly unimportant gadgets which can claim a useful safety benefit. It could be called grade drift.

Dacia Spring - What is going on with Dacia and safety?! - Warning

All these Safety gizmo's did n't stop a Tesla driver coming into the middle lane, even though I had indicated to the right. A look over the should saved me.

The question for me, is the Dacia safe in the fundamentals? Such as safety bags, impact bars etc....

It is the same with insurance Defacto rating where the big insurance determine what is considered 5 stars.

Dacia Spring - What is going on with Dacia and safety?! - sammy1

Whatever the safety gizmos a small car having an accident with a bigger car usually comes off much worse. However the more safety built into the smaller car the better the chances of the occupants

Dacia Spring - What is going on with Dacia and safety?! - focussed

My recently purchased Dacia Duster 2 phase 2 facelift 1.5 dci blue etc etc to give it it's full title has lots of airbags and seems a solid little shoebox.

It also came with what they call blind spot protection, which AFAIK warns the driver by a bright red led flashing in one corner of the door mirrors, should there be a vehicle alongside, at speed, and the driver indicates to change lane towards that vehicle.

Thankfully it can be turned off by a simple switch.

I'm still doing shoulder checks and lifesavers after all these years even in the car - motorcyclists will understand!

Dacia Spring - What is going on with Dacia and safety?! - Engineer Andy

All these Safety gizmo's did n't stop a Tesla driver coming into the middle lane, even though I had indicated to the right. A look over the should saved me.

The question for me, is the Dacia safe in the fundamentals? Such as safety bags, impact bars etc....

It is the same with insurance Defacto rating where the big insurance determine what is considered 5 stars.

Put it this way - it's likely that the Dacia has more safety features than a 4 or even 5 star car from the early and maybe even mid 2010s, and most of us wouldn't have a problem driving one from a safety standpoint.

As has been said in this thread, unless certain (latest) safety gimzos get included in the car's spec, it can only get a 2 or (in this case) zero NCAP rating, whetaver else it may have and how crash-resistant the bodyshell etc is.

Bonkers. A zero-rated NCAP car just means it meets the minimum standards for safety, and that is both subjective and changing almost yearly. It's not as though we were all driving 'unsafe' cars 3 years ago. Maybe 25, but since then?

I suspect that the Defacto rating has more to do with the cost of repairs (parts and labour) as it does what safety elements and NCAP rating the car has. After all, insurers care about the bottom line first and foremost, and most accidents and that serious (to the occupant).

Dacia Spring - What is going on with Dacia and safety?! - galileo

In the early 1960s, as a student, my first car was a 1936 Austin 10, others had Morris 8s and similar pre-war designs, most of which had 'safety features' such as drum brakes (not all hydraulic) low powered headlights, beam front axles and vague, un assisted steering.

These things could be bought for £15 -20, taxed for £12/10s, insured 3rd party for not much more and thus very popular among students ad others with tight finances.

By modern standards, absolute death traps, but most of us who drove such things are still here and with good driving records.

Edited by galileo on 17/04/2022 at 17:22

Dacia Spring - What is going on with Dacia and safety?! - sammy1

"""By modern standards, absolute death traps, but most of us who drove such things are still here and with good driving records. """

The idea is not to hit anything or for that matter not to get hit by something else. Back in those days it was a pleasure to be driving with relatively little traffic around and most cars not capable of speeds we see today. You could buy something more modern for about £30.