60MPH on the motorways - sammy1

Highways are looking at trialling 60mph zones on urban areas of the motorway system with a view to reducing pollution and improving the health of people affected by gases being emitted by cars and HGVs Here in Wales there are already 2 areas of the M4 subjected too average speed cameras set at 50mph. How much this reduces pollution is any ones guess but from my observation it causes more bunching and braking of traffic especially as they hit the zones. These zones once started will be with us forever. They are particularly frustrating at night when the motorway is quiet.

60MPH on the motorways - Bromptonaut

Highways are looking at trialling 60mph zones on urban areas of the motorway system with a view to reducing pollution and improving the health of people affected by gases being emitted by cars and HGVs Here in Wales there are already 2 areas of the M4 subjected too average speed cameras set at 50mph. How much this reduces pollution is any ones guess but from my observation it causes more bunching and braking of traffic especially as they hit the zones. These zones once started will be with us forever. They are particularly frustrating at night when the motorway is quiet.

That's weird because 50 limits normally suffer less bunching.

60MPH on the motorways - RT

Reducing the speed limit to 60 mph will have almost zero effect on emissions or pollution - HGVs, buses and towing vehicles won't change their speed so no change in output - despite these being a major contributor - so it only affects cars, vans and motorbikes but only off-peak as they can't manage 60 mph during peak congestion - so this measure will just have a marginal effect at times when pollution is low, relatively.

Why is incompetence and lack of joined up thinking a prerequisite for government, of all shades ?

60MPH on the motorways - brum

Its only a relatively short stretch of the M1 near Sheffield at the moment. But it does catch you out, with relatively light signing. Maybe its more a cash generation exercise.

As RT says, its unlikely to make a significant impact on pollution levels.

60MPH on the motorways - The Heg

Its only a relatively short stretch of the M1 near Sheffield at the moment. But it does catch you out, with relatively light signing. Maybe its more a cash generation exercise.

The large matrix boards plus repeaters above each lane for about 10 miles aren’t enough?
60MPH on the motorways - Sprice

If it's for pollution reasons, then EV's can still do 70 then? (I'm not being serious BTW)

If it's for pollution reasons, then EV's can still do 70 then? (I'm not being serious BTW)

In a sense.

It's about localised pollution from NOX and particulates rather than the global effect of CO2

60MPH on the motorways - focussed

In a sense.

It's about localised pollution from NOX and particulates rather than the global effect of CO2

"In their practices and clinics, pulmonary physicians see [deaths caused by cigarette smoke] on a daily basis; however, deaths caused by particulate matter and NOx, even after careful investigation, never," write the pulmonary physicians in their counterposition.

So it is "very likely" that the scientific data leading to these estimates "contains a systematic error." Apparently, they have been "interpreted extremely one-sidedly" and "always with the objective that particulate matter and NOx must be harmful," they write.

www.dw.com/en/nitrogen-oxide-is-it-really-that-dan...6

60MPH on the motorways - edlithgow

In a sense.

"In their practices and clinics, pulmonary physicians see [deaths caused by cigarette smoke] on a daily basis; however, deaths caused by particulate matter and NOx, even after careful investigation, never," write the pulmonary physicians in their counterposition.

So it is "very likely" that the scientific data leading to these estimates "contains a systematic error." Apparently, they have been "interpreted extremely one-sidedly" and "always with the objective that particulate matter and NOx must be harmful," they write.

Lots of words in that article, but really there doesn’t seem to be anything of substance.

They (correctly, I suppose) mention the difficulty of epidemiological studies into the effects of airborne pollutants, and say that limits must necessarily be based largely on the toxicology of the pollutants. Then they sort of resolutely forget to discuss that toxicology.

Do they perhaps think particulates are good for you?

This bit seems particularly specious

"In their practices and clinics, pulmonary physicians see [deaths caused by cigarette smoke] on a daily basis; however, deaths caused by particulate matter and NOx, even after careful investigation, never,"

Oh yeh? How exactly would they “see” deaths caused by particulate matter?

If someone smokes 40 a day its likely to be known. Its NOT likely to be known what their other particulate exposure was.

Edited by edlithgow on 21/07/2021 at 08:24

60MPH on the motorways - RT

In a sense.

Lots of words in that article, but really there doesn’t seem to be anything of substance.

They (correctly, I suppose) mention the difficulty of epidemiological studies into the effects of airborne pollutants, and say that limits must necessarily be based largely on the toxicology of the pollutants. Then they sort of resolutely forget to discuss that toxicology.

Do they perhaps think particulates are good for you?

This bit seems particularly specious

"In their practices and clinics, pulmonary physicians see [deaths caused by cigarette smoke] on a daily basis; however, deaths caused by particulate matter and NOx, even after careful investigation, never,"

Oh yeh? How exactly would they “see” deaths caused by particulate matter?

If someone smokes 40 a day its likely to be known. Its NOT likely to be known what their other particulate exposure was.

The medical profession is over-zealous in it's analysis of health condition causes, specifically into a single cause - I gave up smoking nearly 40 years ago but when I was recently diagnosed with COPD that was immediately put down as the cause despite several other possible causes, eg use of chemotherapy drugs for which lung function reduction is a known side-effect, exposure to industrial chemicals and exposure to roadside pollution as I was driving 50,000 miles/year in my early career - so I'm now a statistic to support the theory that smoking causes COPD despite the complete lack of investigation or analysis.

So I'm very sceptical about these sort of statistics - if it's not a proper clinical trial, it's not admissable in my book.

60MPH on the motorways - John F

- so I'm now a statistic to support the theory that smoking causes COPD despite the complete lack of investigation or analysis.

COPD undoubtedly existed long before smoking was invented if people, especially those with asthma, survived respiratory infections and lived long enough, but the theory is long since proven that smoking is a major contributor to the causation of COPD. The larger the number of 'pack-years' (one pack-year =20 a day for 1 year = 10 a day for 2 years), the greater the contribution.

Neither are said to be noxious or carcinogenic poisons on the scale of cigarette smoke. Particulates though can bury themselves on the lungs.

The primary issue though is their risk to children and people with pre-existing respiratory conditions such as asthma:

www.judiciary.uk/publications/ella-kissi-debrah/

My son, who has relatively mild asthma, suffers a lot with wheeziness etc if he's in London.

60MPH on the motorways - Engineer Andy

Neither are said to be noxious or carcinogenic poisons on the scale of cigarette smoke. Particulates though can bury themselves on the lungs.

The primary issue though is their risk to children and people with pre-existing respiratory conditions such as asthma:

www.judiciary.uk/publications/ella-kissi-debrah/

My son, who has relatively mild asthma, suffers a lot with wheeziness etc if he's in London.

I agree - the main reason likely being that cigartette smoke is more potent and obvious, whereas NOx and particulates from vehicles are essentially invisible and breathed in over a much longer period.

As a fellow asthma sufferer (though mild, like your son), I can certainly vouch for it being worse when I've been working in London compared to further out in the sticks (I think that the lower temperatures helped), especially as most of my London workplaces were dotted around one of the worst areas for road level pollution - Kings X / Farringdon / Euston Road.

Even on the train home at KX it was bad (worse after having to run to catch a train if I was running late) after having to dash along Euston Rd, Farringdon St, etc. It didn't help once on the train if there was an HST 'warming up' next door to my train...that horrible taste in the mouth/throat from the diesel fumes too.

Very noticable that when I'm on holiday in the West Country (admitedly I got out of the busy holiday season, avoiding the traffic and presumably more pollution), my asthma practically disappears.

60MPH on the motorways - alan1302

If you miss the bright LED lighting gantries then I think it's time you took a visit to Specasvers!

60MPH on the motorways - John F

Why is incompetence and lack of joined up thinking a prerequisite for government, of all shades ?

Because, in comparison to senior responsible careers in other fields, the lack of esteem and poor pay endured by UK representative legislators means that very few (apart from one or two honourable exceptions) of the brightest and best youngsters consider it as a long term career. This seems to apply locally as well as nationally.

60MPH on the motorways - Engineer Andy

That's weird because 50 limits normally suffer less bunching.

I think he means that redcuing the limit in one area means that bunching/traffic jams occure behind it as the traffic slows down earlier and and eailer - it really depends on the level of traffic generally. You're right, but only when it's applied equally during heavy traffic, which likely does help reduce pollution due to vehicles running at higher efficiency.

Without having blanket reductions practically everywhere (which would not do business any good due to vastly increased travel times and the cost of road hauliage [extra man hours more than offsetting the reduction in fuel]), this sort of policy doesn't work because it is reactive and not proactive.

I still believe that far better driving training on motorways/dual carriageways (which rarely happens when novices learn or just after passing) so people drive more sensibly on such roads, including leaving more space in front, merging in turn, not switching lanes all the time in congested traffic, being considerate to other road users, including those trying to join/leave the motorway, and people planning their journeys so they always leave in good time.

Too many people always run late (poor time management, including of their bosses setting unrealistic targets for work progress) and then hurry, which often causes them to make many of the errors I describe, including driving too fast for the conditions.

60MPH on the motorways - Sofa Spud

On a busy motorway, the 60 mph limit will mean that more of the traffic is travelling at or around 60 mph, which means it should flow better, with less of the Mexican wave effect, whereby a car braking suddenly from 70 to 50 mph has a ripple effect that leads to a stationary tailback 5 minutes later, by which time the original braking car is a few miles down the road.

60MPH on the motorways - Terry W

There are few if any cars which do a better mpg at 70mph than 60mph - aerodynamics mean that more energy (= fuel = pollutants) is required to push a vehicle at the higher speed.

Conclusion - cars travelling slower emit less pollution.

Consequential impacts on traffic flow, sudden braking etc etc are a different matter.

60MPH on the motorways - stan10

Don't know about pollution, but from about 15 to 5 years ago i quite regularly drove from the M4 "corridor" between London and the Reading area, (i moved around a bit), to Liverpool/ Manchester/ and places inbetween) and i remember that my shortest journey time was about 4.5 hours, so i always allowed 5 hours to do the journey.

Haven't done it for about 5 years now, so can't remember 'zackly when the last time was, (elderly relatives drop off one by one) but the second to last journey i took was "blighted" by interminable roadworks most of the way, controlled by an average 50mph speed limit. Must have been at least 70% of my journey dagnammit !

I stuck to the limit and was staggered to find afterwards that -

Previous best Lancashire trip, (diesel) mpg was 52 mpg -so very happy with that because "normal" driving gave 46mpg.

BUT - Obeying that 50mph limit ...

Time taken = 3.5 hours, and MPG = 59.+. So an hour quicker than ever before, and an extra 7 mpg.

Never satisfied i remember i was p**eeved that i didn't get to the 60mpg !

60MPH on the motorways - Andrew-T

Assuming - for the sake of argument - that a vehicle uses top gear whether at 60 or 70 mph, the engine will do the same no.of revs over a given distance, hence using the same quantity of fuel ?

Except that it will need more power to overcome wind and rolling resistance at the higher speed, and its polluting exhaust will be emitted into the same space in a shorter time. So it follows that lower speeds are less polluting - it's not rocket science. And as has been said, the disturbance to laminar flow caused by sudden braking is less at lower speeds.

60MPH on the motorways - FoxyJukebox
If I could guarantee that on every motorway journey I ever made I averaged 60mph (no more no less)-then I would be absolutely delighted.
60MPH on the motorways - nellyjak

This may seem strange..but I've always liked 60mph...it's a comfortable speed to do and I reckon that travelling a mile every minute is making good progress...when you can.!

Dunno about the eco credentials of it...or traffic flow..safety etc..but I just know it "suits" me..seems less stressful..and no doubt kinder to my vehicle.

60MPH on the motorways - John Boy

it "suits" me..seems less stressful..and no doubt kinder to my vehicle.

+1

60MPH on the motorways - FP

As I've got "older" my driving habits have changed. Nowadays speed isn't a priority - I look at the average fuel consumption read-out almost as much as the speedometer. On a long journey I know pretty much how long to allow and make sure I leave in good time. I plan several well-chosen "comfort breaks".

I find 60 mph on dual carriageways and motorways is a speed that is relatively relaxing and allows plenty of time to anticipate problems up ahead. Driving long-distance, for me, is about arriving safely and in a stress-free state.

60MPH on the motorways - galileo

I find 60 mph on dual carriageways and motorways is a speed that is relatively relaxing and allows plenty of time to anticipate problems up ahead. Driving long-distance, for me, is about arriving safely and in a stress-free state.

Exactly my thoughts. The other week I drove from near Ipswich to West Yorkshire, I would have enjoyed being able to cruise at 60 mph, but most of the way along A14 and A1 had a choice of 55 mph in lane one behind an LGV or following a dozen tailgating cars in lane two following an LGV overtaking others at 55 1/2 mph.

"Elephant racing" is the curse of two lane dual carriageways with current levels of traffic, 56 mph speed limiters lead to this when LGV drivers are under time pressure.

Edited by galileo on 25/07/2021 at 22:46

60MPH on the motorways - nellyjak

As I've got "older" my driving habits have changed. Nowadays speed isn't a priority - I look at the average fuel consumption read-out almost as much as the speedometer. On a long journey I know pretty much how long to allow and make sure I leave in good time. I plan several well-chosen "comfort breaks".

Precisely my philosophy....and situation..I have no need or desire to rush anywhere.

As you rightly say...the goal is to arrive safely and stress-free...having "enjoyed" the drive as best I can.

60MPH on the motorways - catsdad

In England the HGV limit is now 60 (not 55) on dual carriageways and motorways. I am quite happy to sit below 70 but in a 60 limit it can get pretty uncomfortable if HGVs are pressing on at 60 and you can’t engineer some safe space by travelling a tad faster to get out of their way.

"... the HGV limit is now 60 (not 55) on dual carriageways and motorways."

Thanks for the info. I had been wondering why so many HGVs were doing well over what I thought was the limit.

And in spite of what I put above about driving at 60 I will still "press on a bit" if I need to - clearing a procession of lorries being one good reason.

Elephant racing - it should be regarded as "obstruction" if an overtaking manouvre takes more tha xx (20?) seconds.

Easy to police with a dash cam. No wish to target HGV drivers who are (a) doing a necessary job, and (b) are normally able, sensible road users.

But sitting behind one for several minutes whilst one overtakes another is arrogant and selfish behaviour on their part. Often see one overtaking on a downhill stretch and then the overtaken repays the favour on the next uphill incline - I assume due to very small differences in speed limiter settings or power.

60MPH on the motorways - badbusdriver

Elephant racing - it should be regarded as "obstruction" if an overtaking manouvre takes more tha xx (20?) seconds.

Easy to police with a dash cam. No wish to target HGV drivers who are (a) doing a necessary job, and (b) are normally able, sensible road users.

But sitting behind one for several minutes whilst one overtakes another is arrogant and selfish behaviour on their part. Often see one overtaking on a downhill stretch and then the overtaken repays the favour on the next uphill incline - I assume due to very small differences in speed limiter settings or power.

Perish the thought that a car driver gets held up by an HGV, after all, what you are doing is much more important than them, right?.

Whether what I am doing is irrelevant - I may be a doctor on call to a seriously ill patient or on holiday.

What is important is tolerance of the needs of other road users. Is it worth frustrating or angering 2-50 motorists by clogging lane 2 to get a possibly temporary advantage over another truck.

The speed advantage of one truck over another if it takes (say) 3 minutes to pass is less than 1 (one) mph.

Over an 8 hour day if that advantage in speed is maintained the driver may get to their destination 8 minutes earlier. The reality is somewhat less due to multiple drop offs, average speed limits, non-motorway driving etc etc. Possibly 0-3 minutes which I regard as trivial.

In England the HGV limit is now 60 (not 55) on dual carriageways and motorways. I am quite happy to sit below 70 but in a 60 limit it can get pretty uncomfortable if HGVs are pressing on at 60 and you can’t engineer some safe space by travelling a tad faster to get out of their way.

The legal limit according to UK law is 60 mph, as you say. However, we still follow the EU limit and so all LGVs have limiters set to 56 mph. I'm sure LGV drivers would be delighted for limiters to be set at 60 but yet again, our freedom from EU rules has not been implemented by our Government.

Presumably they don't want to upset the EU if any of our lorries visit the EU. Why, some might even stray over the border from NI, (especially if they were smuggling sausages)

"However, we still follow the EU limit and so all LGVs have limiters set to 56 mph."

Well, I was on the M1 twice this morning and most - but not all - HGVs were doing well over 55 mph.

"However, we still follow the EU limit and so all LGVs have limiters set to 56 mph."

Well, I was on the M1 twice this morning and most - but not all - HGVs were doing well over 55 mph.

If you were relying on your speedometer, remember that truck tachographs are calibrated to show an accurate speed (as are police car speedometers).

Your car speedometer will be optimistic by anything up to 5 mph, so they may well have only been at the limiter 56 mph, whatever your speedo showed.

Checking mine by satnav readings on a straight, level road, it over-reads by 2 mph at all speeds up to 70 mph.

60MPH on the motorways - catsdad

Yes I know car speedos over-read but I was not aware that the limiters were set to 56. Thanks.

Whether what I am doing is irrelevant - I may be a doctor on call to a seriously ill patient or on holiday.

What is important is tolerance of the needs of other road users. Is it worth frustrating or angering 2-50 motorists by clogging lane 2 to get a possibly temporary advantage over another truck.

The speed advantage of one truck over another if it takes (say) 3 minutes to pass is less than 1 (one) mph.

Over an 8 hour day if that advantage in speed is maintained the driver may get to their destination 8 minutes earlier. The reality is somewhat less due to multiple drop offs, average speed limits, non-motorway driving etc etc. Possibly 0-3 minutes which I regard as trivial.

Funny that you accuse truck drivers (who have the audacity to hold you up) of intolerance, when your post, and your own general attitude towards them is that of intolerance. I could also add ignorance to the pressures most truck drivers are constantly under, something you may have a better understanding of if you'd ever actually done the job. A truck driver, by and large, is always behind schedule because of their bosses not understanding how long it takes to get from point A to point B, through traffic/roadworks/hold ups, etc. Because of this, they are, understandably, going as fast as they can, all the time. They can't go any faster than the speed limiter will allow them (or the engine will allow them if uphill in a lower powered truck), but they absolutely do not want to go any slower than they can, for any reason.

But here are a couple of points to ponder while thinking on how to get a section of national workforce (who are already undervalued, under appreciated and underpaid) punished for trying to stick to an entirely unrealistic schedule, and holding you up slightly along the way.

First, if you are doing a 1 hour journey on the motorway at the legal limit, but get held up behind HGV's doing 60mph for a total of 10 minutes, your journey time will be extended by less than 1.5 minutes over what it would have taken were you doing 70mph the whole way.

Second, there is a very real ongoing crisis in this country concerning the lack of truck drivers. It isn't just covid that is having an effect on supermarket shelves, but lack of drivers to actually get the produce there. And who can blame anyone not wanting to do the job when, as well as what I've also mentioned, people such as yourself want them penalised for holding you up!.

So maybe you should exercise a little more consideration, understanding and, dare I say it, be a little more tolerant?

60MPH on the motorways - John Boy

Well said, BBD!

<<So maybe you should exercise a little more consideration, understanding and, dare I say it, be a little more tolerant? >>

Let's not get into a discussion about who is underpaid. Many people think that, but it's not always clear on what basis, other than that they would like a bit more money, or perhaps they have found out that another person is paid more doing what they see as worth less.

Envy has always been a cardinal sin. In a 'free market' people's skills follow the rules of supply and demand. The apparent unfairness of that led to the formation of trade unions. But essentially, if you don't like the job you have, find a better-paid one.

"If you were relying on your speedometer, remember that truck tachographs are calibrated to show an accurate speed (as are police car speedometers).

Your car speedometer will be optimistic by anything up to 5 mph, so they may well have only been at the limiter 56 mph, whatever your speedo showed."

I was relying on my satnav. My speedo over-reads by about 2 mph 50 - 70 mph.

Let's not get into a discussion about who is underpaid. Many people think that, but it's not always clear on what basis, other than that they would like a bit more money, or perhaps they have found out that another person is paid more doing what they see as worth less.

Nobody is getting into a discussion on who is underpaid, so not sure why you have decided to pick up on this one single point?.

But essentially, if you don't like the job you have, find a better-paid one.

Why do you think there is such a massive shortage of truck drivers?!. But telling them to get another job isn't really going to help the situation is it?.

<< Why do you think there is such a massive shortage of truck drivers?!. But telling them to get another job isn't really going to help the situation is it?. >>

Perhaps they already have ? But the current global situation is not normal, I think you would agree. Supply and demand would suggest that hauliers will have to pay a bit more if there is a serious shortage ?

<< Why do you think there is such a massive shortage of truck drivers?!. But telling them to get another job isn't really going to help the situation is it?. >>

Perhaps they already have ? But the current global situation is not normal, I think you would agree. Supply and demand would suggest that hauliers will have to pay a bit more if there is a serious shortage ?

Yes' I'd think in time, truck drivers wages will have to go up, but the question is how long this will take, and then how long will it take for a new generation of truckers to get through their training, get their licenses and get behind the wheel?. But it isn't just the pay, as I said earlier, it is the general treatment of truck drivers by their bosses and the attitude of other motorists, specifically car drivers.

Covid certainly hasn't helped though, listening to the radio a couple of months ago and the shortage of truck drivers was being discussed on the Jeremy Vine show. During the first lockdown, due to covid, most truck stops/services wouldn't let drivers use the facilities. Sometimes not even the toilets, but certainly not the showers and laundry. And bear in mind, many drivers could be spending several nights away from home.

, it is the general treatment of truck drivers by their bosses and the attitude of other motorists, specifically car drivers.

Attitudes are not going to change quickly - think you'll find some bad attitudes of HGV/car/motor cyclists etc everywhere...there just happen to be more cars about.

Why do you think there is such a massive shortage of truck drivers?!. But telling them to get another job isn't really going to help the situation is it?.

UK wanted to leave the EU so a lot of the drivers stayed in the EU and the lack of HGV tests being done has not helped.