Recommend a battery charger? - Grenache

Hello,

I'm wiondering if anyone could recommend a good but reasonably-priced battery charger?

I have an old charger which is fine for my old car with a lead acid battery, but I believe they aren't suitable for AGM and EFB batteries. I need one that will do for both as my wife's car has the AGM battery and mine has an EFB and start/stop usage.

I saw good review for the Maypole battery chargers but upon enquiring with them they told me that their products are not suitable for EFB batteries.

So, what would you recommend?

Thanks

Recommend a battery charger? - Galaxy

You won't go very far wrong with a Ctek charger. I've got the 5 amp one myself.

Not the cheapest but very good.

Recommend a battery charger? - edlithgow

Or not.

I've previously posted links to an analysis by an electronic engineer who convincingly classified the example he looked at as junk-by-design.

But reassuringly expensive junk-by-design

IIRC that was an 8 amp model so the 5 amp may be less stressed.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/137525/battery-cha...r--

Edited by edlithgow on 04/07/2021 at 02:56

Recommend a battery charger? - Doc
I have a GENIUS5 5-Amp Battery Charger

It does most actions you would need and can cope with all battery types (but is not cheap)

MULTIPLE MODES: Safely charge and maintain both 6-volt and 12-volt vehicle or leisure batteries, including Flooded, AGM, EFB, Lithium and Start-Stop batteries.
FORCE CHARGE: Bypass the internal battery sensing technology and manually force charging for trouble-shooting low-voltage batteries (down to zero volts).
ANY CLIMATE: Prevents overhearing and undercharging the battery by dynamically altering each charge based on the ambient temperature resulting in a more precise charge for longer battery life.
DIAGNOSTICS: Detects, warns and halts the charging process when connected to the wrong battery, an improper connection or spent battery.
REPAIR: An advanced charging mode designed to recover lost battery capacity when left idle or undercharged and restoring the battery to its original performance.
MAINTENANCE: Automatically turns “on” and turns “off” the charging process while conditioning the battery every 24-hours with absolutely zero overcharge.

no.co/genius5

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/157454/smart-charg...s

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/157454/smart-charg...s

Quite good but quite a pricy Chinese charger, and testing seems to show the "äbsolutely zero overcharge"" manufacturers jive to be...er.. manufacturers jive.

I have a cheapo Chinese charger (often sold as Foxsur, though mine has a Russian name) that claims to do AGM but I don't remember EFB being mentioned. Seems OK and fairly well reviewed by Magic Smoke though apparently the RF output filtering is awful

Apparently now a bit improved though filtering is still pretty bad

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mW6kPzSr91U

Mine doesn't do 24V,

Edited by edlithgow on 28/07/2021 at 01:43