Higher Rate of Tax - tokomak
Hi all.

I've google about but I haven't be able to see if this answered,

I'm looking at buying a car that qualifies for the higher rate of tax, it was registered on 30/06/2017.

If I was to buy it on 01/06/2021 - I would need to pay 12 months of tax - so £155 + the 12 months of higher rate charge.

However on the 01/06/2022 - I would need to pay 12 months of tax £155 (or whatever it goes up to) but would I need to pay the full 12 months of higher rate as the higher rate expires on 30/06/2022 or is it pro-rata. So I'd need to pay 1/12 of the higher rate.

There isn't any information on the .gov website .

Thanks
Adam
Higher Rate of Tax - Bromptonaut

So it's a car that was listed over £40k when new?

Higher Rate of Tax - daveyjp

Assuming its the £40k surcharge the info is there, you pay the extra for 5 years. No pro rata.

Vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000

You have to pay an extra £335 a year if you have a car or motorhome with a ‘list price’ (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000. You do not have to pay this if you have a zero emission vehicle.

You only have to pay this rate for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed).

Higher Rate of Tax - Engineer Andy

Assuming its the £40k surcharge the info is there, you pay the extra for 5 years. No pro rata.

Vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000

You have to pay an extra £335 a year if you have a car or motorhome with a ‘list price’ (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000. You do not have to pay this if you have a zero emission vehicle.

You only have to pay this rate for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed).

And that's the list price including all optional extras added at the point of first sale. Not sure about those added afterwards though.

Higher Rate of Tax - tokomak

Yeah,

As per the DVLA tax checker, the surcharge expires on 30/06/2022, so as expected it will need to be paid up to then, however when it comes to 12 months for now, is it prorata for the rest of the time or is the full 12 months due even though there is only 1 month of it being due left.

Thanks

Higher Rate of Tax - Bromptonaut

As per the DVLA tax checker, the surcharge expires on 30/06/2022, so as expected it will need to be paid up to then, however when it comes to 12 months for now, is it prorata for the rest of the time or is the full 12 months due even though there is only 1 month of it being due left.

So far as I can see it's payable each time the vehicle is taxed up from it's first anniversary (ie second year's tax) up until its fifth. No pro rata, it's just an additional amount.

I wonder what happens if you SORN it when the current tax expires and re tax it on 01/07/2022. Or if you cancel the tax, say by transferring the vehicle to your partner after 01/07/22, cop a refund, and then re tax at the standard rate.