FPN court summons for driving with No insurance !! - Ali babaish

Hi there,

I'm new to this forum and I'm searching for info regrading my dilemma but there's hardly any info regarding this on the web.

On 30/09/2019 my cousin financed a new Audi A3. it was his first automatic car and he asked me to show him the ropes so he insured me on it temporarily ( for a one month period ) at approximatively 9AM . The car was delivered at 5PM with a complementary one week insurance on his name. We took the car for test drive around Kentish town area and 20 minutes into our drive the police stopped us. The reason for the stop was the car was showing as a rental car on their system and there are a lot of gangs in the Kentish town area with rental cars so they want to check our details . We asked them if car shows up as insured they said yes but we need more info.

as I was in the driver seat they asked me for my license and I showed them and asked me if I was insured I said yes . they asked me if I had proof of my insurance , my cousin told them he insured me today morning and gave them the insurance provider details but as it was 5 pm they couldn't called them and issued me with FPN. the Next morning my insurance documents came.

I appealed it the FPN and I've only just got a court date due to Covid 19. my issue is can I still take my insurance documents to court as it's out of date ???

FPN court summons for driving with No insurance !! - skidpan

I appealed it the FPN and I've only just got a court date due to Covid 19. my issue is can I still take my insurance documents to court as it's out of date ???

If the document shows you were insured at the time of the alleged offence of course you can. Its your get out of jail free card.

What surprises me is that the Police are still pursuing this matter if you have proof you were insured. Are there some other things we need to know? Did you actually provide them with the info they required.

After the police took my details they said you will get a letter within 2 weeks . To the police I wasn't insured as I couldn't provide them with the documents they needed and they couldn't get through to insurance provider as they operate 9AM to 5PM and when I told them I have the email confirmation I was told that it wasn't enough and that the email could be from anyone !!

FPN court summons for driving with No insurance !! - skidpan

So did you get a letter?

Did you provide proof as requested?

Looks murkier by the minute.

FPN court summons for driving with No insurance !! - Gerry Sanderson

Contact the firm that gave the temporary Insurance asking them to provide you with a letter that they considered themselves to be at risk at the relevant time and date as a matter of urgency.

Respond to the summons issued or FPN either by writing to Magistrates Court or Office issuing FPN advising you have proof letter covering fact you were insured at time and enclosed photo copy (always retain original) asking to save time and costs to drop the case, or

Attend Court after entering Not Guilty plea. At Court seek out Duty Court Solicitor acquaint him with facts and letter and ask help to steer you through case..

dvd

FPN court summons for driving with No insurance !! - Middleman

Attend Court after entering Not Guilty plea. At Court seek out Duty Court Solicitor acquaint him with facts and letter and ask help to steer you through case..

You won't get anywhere with that request, I'm afraid. The Duty Solicitor is only available to defendants making their first appearance for offences which carry a custodial sentence. No Insurance does not.

But before you worry about that, what is it you actually have? Very few cases begin by way of summons these days. Is it a "Single Justice Procedure Notice"?

My court date is 17th Feb. And the insurance provider told me the letter I have shows I was insured on the day I shouldn’t need any other letter . But the insurance was only for one month 30/09/2019 to 30/10/2019. Although I have the insurance papers they’re now expired. I would’ve went to a solicitor but I have been out of work since May 2020 I have no means to hire a solicitor.
I got the insurance letter the next day after the police stop . And the police didn’t send me a letter to provide proof of insurance they just sent a letter saying to pay £300 and my licence will be endorsed with 6 points but I didn’t respond and after that the court letter came . But the court date kept changing due to covid 19 .

Is this a personal appearance you have on 17th?

Have you had any court papers before this? Have you entered a plea? Do you still have the letter from the insurers? If so, does it confirm you were covered at the time you were stopped?

Is this a personal appearance you have on 17th?

Have you had any court papers before this? Have you entered a plea? Do you still have the letter from the insurers? If so, does it confirm you were covered at the time you were stopped?

Yes it’s a personal appearance as the courts are now open . And I’ve got the insurance letter that confirms I was insured on 30/09/2019 . Before this I only had the police letter and after that another letter which I said “plead not guilty “ and posted back to the court .

Then when you arrive at court, try to get there a little early and ask to see the prosecutor for your case. Show him you letter that confirms you were covered. This will give him the opportunity to check its authenticity if he feels the need. If you simply go into court when called the court may ask you to take the letter to the local police station for authentication.

If you do not manage to see the prosecutor and you are are called in to court, make sure you maintain your Not Guilty pea when asked to reconfirm it.

Edited by Middleman on 14/02/2021 at 12:40