Double yellow lines in a loading bay - Ashley Ngai

Hi all,

I parked in a loading bay one Sunday when it was outside the "loading only" hours. I thought it was ok. Only found out that I was issued a parking ticket when collecting my car.

Upon inspection there were some badly faded double yellow lines within the loading bay, whilst the double yellow lines were much more solid outside the loading bay. This gave me an impression that the faded double yellow lines inside the loading bay were not in use anymore or else they would have painted them to a similar qualty of those outside the loading bay. Also, I have not come across a parking bay with double yellow lines previously. This convinced me that only the restriction that the upright sign about when is loading only was enforceable.

I wonder if I have any ground to appeal please?

Thanks

Ashley

Double yellow lines in a loading bay - RT

It's worth an informal appeal but faded double yellows are just as valid as bright new ones so budget to pay the PCN..

Loading is often prohibited on specific double yellows, as is Blue Badge parking - time limits are used to control that.

Double yellow lines in a loading bay - Bromptonaut

Loading is normally permitted on double yellows. If there are additional loading restrictions these are shown by marks on the kerb and by signage as you observed. Nothing unusual in a loading bay with double yellows - it keeps vehicles loading/unloading from obstructing traffic. The lines in the loading bay are probably worn by being driven over.

If they're so badly faded as to be near invisible, for example when wet/in darkness, then you might have a chance at appeal but otherwise not worth pushing it beyond informal representations so as to retain the discounted rate.

Double yellow lines in a loading bay - Ian_SW

What the the sign at the side of the road say?

It would be odd to have a loading bay where loading was only permitted during peak hours and neither loading nor parking permitted at other times. There are plenty which are the near opposite of this, particularly on red routes where even stopping isn't permitted during peak times, and then loading is only permitted at off-peak times.

Also, was it actually on a public road, or was this a loading bay on a private road such as within a shopping centre, retail park etc.? If so, the rules can be pretty much whatever the landowner decides they are provided the correct sign is put up.

Double yellow lines in a loading bay - Andrew-T

Upon inspection there were some badly faded double yellow lines within the loading bay, whilst the double yellow lines were much more solid outside the loading bay.

As has been discussed in another recent thread, parking is not permitted EITHER side of double yellows, not just 'outside' them. It seems silly, but that's the rule.

Double yellow lines in a loading bay - Ashley Ngai

Thanks all for the feedback. Probably just pay the discounted rate in this case then. Thanks! ??