vw 2.8 vr6 - vw 2.8 vr6 oil cooler hoses - dipsomaniac

does it matter which way around the 2 x hoses attach to the oil cooler? one goes to the crack pipe the other goes to the block.

the reason i ask it that i have just removed the oil cooler and the hose from the crack pipe is on the left (looking from front of car) yet on the vw parts diagram it is shown as the right hose? it has been running like that for a couple of years

vw 2.8 vr6 - vw 2.8 vr6 oil cooler hoses - elekie&a/c doctor
Probably not . Fit the pipes so there is no stress on the fittings and no fouling on other components.
vw 2.8 vr6 - vw 2.8 vr6 oil cooler hoses - mcb100

Is there any possibility of dislodging any crud from inside the oil cooler if flow is reversed?

Thanks for the replies. The oil cooler does look very basic so I suspect it doesn't make a difference. I have looked at the parts catalogue and it appears the hose from the crack pipe is going to the righthand pipe on the oil cooler. The Bentley manual appears to show the same but is not clear. Has anyone got a clear diagram of the 1998 VW vr6 oil cooler and hoses to confirm the orientation?

what is this cooler for ,engine ,gearbox ,power steering? where is it located? you may find something here Volkswagen ETKA Online Catalog [europa] (7zap.com)

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 12/12/2020 at 18:30

Thanks. That's the parts catalogue I looked at. It appears to show the hoses the opposite way to what I have been running for the last couple of years. It's the oil cooler that bolts to the front of the block and has two pipes coming out the top which hoses connect to.

Just seeking a second opinion as I have been running with the hoses the opposite way to those shown in the parts catalogue. The crackpipe was replaced by a garage a couple of years ago and the hoses could have been changed around then

Edited by dipsomaniac on 12/12/2020 at 18:39

Don’t think I would worry too much. Best thing would be to look at a similar car , but the chances of finding one of these is pretty slim. Can’t be many left on the road .

That the problem I haven't seen one in a long time. Can't see any videos on YouTube showing the hoses either

Solved - vw 2.8 vr6 oil cooler hoses - dipsomaniac

Solved. Thanks for the replies. Have seen a couple of images confirming the orientation is the same as mine