Tesla, Nissan, Renault ets. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - Steveieb

Apparently the recovery services are receiving a surge in calls from owners of EVs running out of juice.

The AA have rescued more than 600 EVs in two years.

Most cannot be towed normally and have to be transported with all four wheels off the ground. Apparently on the spot charging has been rejected as it involves a diesel generator which Greta would not be too pleased about !

Tesla, Nissan, Renault ets. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - madf

Apparently the recovery services are receiving a surge in calls from owners of EVs running out of juice.

Most cannot be towed normally and have to be transported with all four wheels off the ground. Apparently on the spot charging has been rejected as it involves a diesel generator which Greta would not be too pleased about !

Just proves people drive off without consulting fuel/charge levels...

Would be interesting to see summer/winter and day/night split..

As range can deteriorate rapidly if you use heaters .lights etc especially in winter..

(my wife never checks fuel levels in her car. It is my job to do that, AND fill it up when needed AND pay for fuel)

Tesla, Nissan, Renault ets. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - Brit_in_Germany

It proves no such thing. If there was a problem with an expected charging station underway not being available, running out of juice could be a consequence. Your theory expects noone to wish to travel further than the range of the car.

Tesla, Nissan, Renault ets. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - madf

Just proves people drive off without consulting fuel/charge levels...

Would be interesting to see summer/winter and day/night split..

As range can deteriorate rapidly if you use heaters .lights etc especially in winter..

(my wife never checks fuel levels in her car. It is my job to do that, AND fill it up when needed AND pay for fuel)

At least with an EV she would not require me to check oil levels

Tesla, Nissan, Renault ets. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - daveyjp

Less than one call out a day isn't such a hardship for AA.

The difference is when an EV range indicator says zero range it means zero and the car will stop, when a ICE car range says zero it means 1-2 gallons left!

Tesla, Nissan, Renault ets. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - Gerry Sanderson

My worry Traffic Cops going to have problems during chases unless allowed hybrids,

dvd

Tesla, Nissan, Renault ets. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - nick62

What is the betting that the same drivers would run out of petrol/diesel?

Edited by nick62 on 22/11/2020 at 14:28

Tesla, Nissan, Renault ets. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - Galaxy

Doesn't surprise me, really.

I don't really think we're quite there with electric vehicles just yet which is why I myself won't be buying one for the foreseeable future.

The major problems that I see are lack of suitable infrastucture, i.e. charging points, and lack of range. At such time that there are sufficient charging points installed and vehicles have a single range of at least 1000 miles then I'll probably be interested, but not before.

Tesla, Nissan, Renault ets. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - misar

Anyone reading or watching reports by long term users of EVs cannot fail to notice that at present making any long journey is a real headache. It requires careful pre-planning, can involve long unwanted stops and is often stressful. None of that applies to ICE cars for virtually any journey in the UK.

Obviously things will change but it looks like being a good while before rural areas get back to where they are today with the ICE world. EV supporters arguing that all is fine now have their heads in the sand.

Tesla, Nissan, Renault ets. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - Miniman777

And at this time of year, with heaters, heated screens, rear windows, wipers and the like, I'll not be buying an EV anytime soon to watch the mileage levels drop like a stone.

Yes there may be benefits for some, but the style of driving of many motorists makes an EV unpractible. At the weekend I was in remote parts of Yorkshire for work, and there's few if any public chargers - and mobile signals are poor, so summon a rescue? Ha!

While there are plans to rollout more chargers, can they be installed to keep pace with the switch to EV, and can the National Grid cope? No one really knows. There's also a danger with EV's being silent, and it's only time before there's a fatality in a shopping centre car park.

I read a report on the Corsa-e and another EV at the weekend, and my conclusion is range anxiety is THE issue and will remain so. You cannot disguise or brush over it. I fill my ICE car up, have 600+ mile range, so why would anyone want to buy an EV with a sub-200 mile range (unless you've silly money), then having to stop at least three times for 45-60mins (and queue with others for a charger?) to achieve the same 600+ mile range? Nah, not for me.

What the AA is reporting comes as no surprise. More fool them for believing the salesman's waffle.

You can hype EV's up as much as you want, they are overpriced and simply haven't got an adequate range, so are no match on what we have now.

Tesla, Nissan, Renault ets. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - Bromptonaut

So they're rescuing a number equal to or fewer than one a day? Not a lot really and as has already been pointed out EVs have the equivalent of a fuel gauge. IC cars also run out with monotonous regularity. Unless there's a fault it's a totally avoidable mishap.

There may well be reasons not to use a diesel genny to provide a roadside top up but is there any evidence whatsoever that Ms Thunberg's views weighed heavily?

Tesla, Nissan, Renault ets. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - Theophilus

Whilst the issues around access to charging EVs have still not be resolved (at least to give me any confidence that an EV would meet my requirements), I see that the article reports that unlike the AA the RAC have developed a mobile charger for their crews to give an emergency charge ... and that the majority of call outs are not because of drivers ignoring a plummeting range on their dashboard but rather arriving at a planned charging site to find the charger is out of service, or that an overnight home charge has failed, so perhaps the drivers have not been totally at fault.

Tesla, Nissan, Renault ets. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - misar

So they're rescuing a number equal to or fewer than one a day? Not a lot really and as has already been pointed out EVs have the equivalent of a fuel gauge. IC cars also run out with monotonous regularity. Unless there's a fault it's a totally avoidable mishap.

Claimed ranges for both EVs and ICEs (via mpg) are always under ideal conditions and both can suffer depending on how the car is driven. EVs have two extra problems with range for long trips, even ignoring scarcity of charge points.

Fuel consumption for an ICE is only slightly affected by weather or day/night variations. In an EV range plummets with any combination of dark, wet, cold or very hot. Fast and ultra fast charging is only possible between about 20% and 80% battery capacity. Outside that window the rate goes right down. So ignoring all the other factors, on a long trip your usable range is about 60% of the claimed one unless you are prepared to make really long stops.

Tesla, Nissan, Renault ets. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - Brit_in_Germany

There was a report in the German papers today of an ebike rider who froze to death, with the likely cause being that his battery was empty.

Tesla, Nissan, Renault ets. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - Theophilus

There was a report in the German papers today of an ebike rider who froze to death, with the likely cause being that his battery was empty.

If it was that cold that he froze to death the battery capacity would probably have been inadequate in any case!

Tesla, Nissan, Renault ets. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - Steveieb
Here it is

pledgetimes.com/in-the-middle-of-germany-20-year-o.../

Sent from my iPad
Tesla, Nissan, Renault ets. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - Ethan Edwards

What we need is an emergency power supply . The equivalent a gallon of unleaded in a can. How about a dozen D cells wired into say the cigar socket in the cabin.? Enough power to get you say a few miles.

Tesla, Nissan, Renault ets. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - Ian_SW

What we need is an emergency power supply . The equivalent a gallon of unleaded in a can. How about a dozen D cells wired into say the cigar socket in the cabin.? Enough power to get you say a few miles.

It would take a bit more then a few D cell batteries. Even the average lead acid stabdard car battery wouldn't get you very far, as its capacity is about a 100th of what most EVs have in their traction batteries.

A better option would be for regulations to force manufacturers to offer a "tow to charge" function. These things already use regenerative braking so it can't be that much of a step technically. That way, the AA could load you up onto an A-Frame and tow you behind the van a few miles which perhaps would get enough charge in the tank to do another 20.

Simpler still would be to force them to have a "towing" mode where the car can be safely towed. It must be possible technically, but presumably would cost a bit more in development and wasn't seen as an essential requirement.

Tesla, Nissan, Renault ets. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - Tester

That doesn't make sense. The point of an e-bike is that the electric motor assists the pedalling and it's perfectly possible to ride one without any electrical assistance. So having the battery go flat would not mean that you can't move. Also, while -7 degrees (possibly with wind chill) is undoubtedly flippin' cold, it should not kill you by itself if (a) you are pedalling/walking and (b) wearing suitable clothes.

I think that there must be more to this than meets the eye, or at least more than has been reported.

Tesla, Nissan, Renault etc. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - Avant

"I don't really think we're quite there with electric vehicles just yet which is why I myself won't be buying one for the foreseeable future."

Although I have an EV on order, I can quite see Galaxy's point. I wouldn't have an EV as an only car unless I knew I would never go further than a 200-mile round trip.

Tesla, Nissan, Renault etc. - Spike in mayday calls as EVs run out of juice - Bolt

According to a radio interview this morning the report was based on people not being able to charge the motor up overnight because someone else was using the charger, in other words 1 charger was used to charge more than 1 car.

point being the chargers used were not charging to full capacity so took longer to charge one car than was supposed to, meaning the other car had to leave for work on what charge was already there...according to interview that is?