Peugeot 108 - Axle Stands - Bobby Petrol

I would like to change the oil on my daughter's car. It is a Peugeot 108.

If I jack the car up at the jacking up points (pinch weld just behind the front wheel), there is not enough space to put the axle stand to provide extra support.

I have two options:

1) jack up the back of the car a bit higher, and fit the axle stand on the front pinch weld.

2) jack up the car at the front and stick the axle stand somewhere strong at the front.. However, what is that spot? The manual does not give any clues.

Any advice?

Peugeot 108 - Axle Stands - gordonbennet

I'd rather it was up on a pair of decent ramps for oil changing, if approach angle is an issue (front valance going to rub the ramp before the tyres start ascending) then use a couple of short planks to lessen the angle, put old carpet strips or rubber mats under the ramps so they don't tend to shoot out, once up on those ramps its safer than on typical axle stands.

Good axle stands are often safely placed at the inner end of the lower suspension arms where they meet the subframe, so partly under the subframe and partly under the bottom arms, but they'll be in your way.

From being under daughter's Aygo (107 shape) regularly there isn't anything i'd consider strong enough on the bodyshell apart from the standard jacking points, so if i was to use axle stands i would use a substantial trolley jack under the subrame/lower contol arm point and site heavy duty axle stands under the jacking points instead, again with small squares of wood between stand and sill to lessen the chances of slippage.

Note, consider a trolley jack, if you buy a decent one it will last you a lifetime of safe easy car lifting, i had a Sealey bought well over 35 years ago which currently resides with my daughter where it gets used now and again, several years ago i invested in a Weber (made in EU) and am very happy with it's quality and performance..

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/07/2020 at 06:53

Peugeot 108 - Axle Stands - Chris M

I have a small selection of pieces of wood approx. 40x40x300mm which I place on the inside edge of the seam. Jack up at one end and place the axle stand at the other of the block. Worked fine on the C1 we had as well as nearly all the cars I've used it for.

Personally I don't lift the car any further than necessary when draining oil. The higher it is, the more chance of a gust of wind blowing the dribble away from the bowl catching the oil.

Peugeot 108 - Axle Stands - thunderbird

Lift the car too high and it can result in leaving a decent quantity of oil in the sump depending on where the sump plug.

Some years ago I bought a Pela oil extraction device and whilst not a perfect solution providing the oil is decently hot (a 4 mile drive worked for me) it extracted a vast majority of the oil with no mess and no jacking.

Getting at the oil filter is difficult on some cars but on the whole I have been lucky. Last car that was a real sod was a 1989 Bluebird where the filter was under the carburettor between the engine and bulkhead, a wonderful piece of design.

Peugeot 108 - Axle Stands - RT

Over the years I've aquired some 6" x 9" wooden beams and just drive a car up onto them so it remains level and gives me just enough to slide under.

Increasingly modern cars are a PITA with no dipstick tube the extraction method can't be used - not that I'm a fan of it anyway.

Peugeot 108 - Axle Stands - Andrew-T

Increasingly modern cars are a PITA with no dipstick tube the extraction method can't be used - not that I'm a fan of it anyway.

One more reason for keeping a 20th-century car. There's usually more space around the engine, and consumable things like oil filters are accessible, not hidden under plastic shrouds. My local indy has to do that job on my 2008 diesel, but I like to do the 1994 car myself. At least they both have dipsticks.