Renter a digger can't find red diesel. - John Macas

Hey, i've a got a digger for a week and I realise I can use red diesel. BUT every petrol station I went around Twickenham doesn't sell it.

Anyone knows any petrol station not far from Twickenham that sells red diesel?

Thank You.

Renter a digger can't find red diesel. - galileo

Canal boat hire locations will probably have red diesel. Google maps may find one near you.

Renter a digger can't find red diesel. - focussed

Canal boat hire locations will probably have red diesel. Google maps may find one near you.

I don't think so, pleasure boats whether privately owned of for hire have to use white (road) diesel nowadays.. Ask the company you are hiring the digger from where they get theirs.

https://www.venetianmarina.co.uk/narrowboat-blog/fuel-supply-on-the-canal/

https://www.accountancydaily.co/ecj-ruling-sees-red-diesel-outlawed-pleasure-boats

Renter a digger can't find red diesel. - S40 Man

How much diesel do you think the digger will use? Fuel duty is £0.57 per litre.

You will only save £5 for every 10 litres so by the time you've found some, gone to collect it, it might not be worth the time and effort, especially if you have a lot of other things to do at the same time.

Renter a digger can't find red diesel. - HGV ~ P Valentine

You can use normal diesel, its the same fuel but with a red dye in it so that the authorities can detect it in a normal vehicle, where it will be taken off you right there and then, and in a truck the goods will be confiscated, you will only be able to take personal items..

It is only died red because you dont pay tax on it as it fuels agriculural vehicles & Construction vehicles.

You might go to a farm and see if they are willing to sell you what you need, or a hgv fueling station might have it, time to get on the phone and make a few calls mate.

I had an officer check me outside heathrow, only ever happened once and I asked him what would happen if the fuel was red.

Edited by A Driver since 1988, HGV 2006 on 29/03/2020 at 11:42

Renter a digger can't find red diesel. - Andrew-T

You might go to a farm and see if they are willing to sell you what you need, or a hgv fueling station might have it, time to get on the phone and make a few calls mate.

Any farms near Twickenham ? :-)

Renter a digger can't find red diesel. - mcb100
Is chasing around multiple filling stations and other outlets really classed as essential travel?
Renter a digger can't find red diesel. - Simon

With the fuel prices dropping I wouldn't chase round too much just for red diesel. Stick some white (normal) fuel in it. I can't imagine it'll use much.

Renter a digger can't find red diesel. - Robert J.
I am certain there was a report on the news that farmers are reporting a shortage of red diesel. Apparently supplies have dried up because delivery drivers are busy elsewhere or off sick.
Renter a digger can't find red diesel. - concrete

Just use diesel from your local garage. As stated the amount of money involved is negligible when you consider the convenience of supply. I believe heating oil is also fit for diesel engines. I am not sure which grade, either 28second or 35 second oil but someone here will know the difference. Again though how are you going to transport even 50 litres of fuel safely in a normal road vehicle? That is a lot of fuel containers. Good luck. Concrete

Just use diesel from your local garage. As stated the amount of money involved is negligible when you consider the convenience of supply. I believe heating oil is also fit for diesel engines. I am not sure which grade, either 28second or 35 second oil but someone here will know the difference. Again though how are you going to transport even 50 litres of fuel safely in a normal road vehicle? That is a lot of fuel containers. Good luck. Concrete

I don't think anyone mentioned 50 litres of diesel?

From what the thread revealed, a digger has been hired presumably to dig holes or trenches and generally clear ground levels. If the OP is planning on using the digger himself then he has probably hired a small to medium size machine. Anything larger than a 3 tonne machine would require a skilled operator. In normal circumstances a reasonably experienced site operative with plant experience should with care, be able to operate a small digger. Using the machine all day for general site digging operations I would expect the digger to use at least 20 litres of diesel. Worked hard, that could increase. So to be sure, a decent fuel stock would be in the region of 50 litres, which would allow for at least two or three days operating. That was my thinking. Even so, transporting just 20 litres of fuel in a normal vehicle is a risky business and requires extra care. Does that satisfy your curiosity? Cheers Concrete

From what the thread revealed, a digger has been hired presumably to dig holes or trenches and generally clear ground levels. If the OP is planning on using the digger himself then he has probably hired a small to medium size machine. Anything larger than a 3 tonne machine would require a skilled operator. In normal circumstances a reasonably experienced site operative with plant experience should with care, be able to operate a small digger. Using the machine all day for general site digging operations I would expect the digger to use at least 20 litres of diesel. Worked hard, that could increase. So to be sure, a decent fuel stock would be in the region of 50 litres, which would allow for at least two or three days operating. That was my thinking. Even so, transporting just 20 litres of fuel in a normal vehicle is a risky business and requires extra care. Does that satisfy your curiosity? Cheers Concrete

Thanks for that, a useful estimate, no plans t do any excavations myself but helpful if I do.

It used to be the case and maybe still is that a plant hire company will also provide a fuel bowser on hire. A small towable one holds about 200 litres or even a bunded tank dropped on site. If I had a digger for a week I would plan my site work and work it hard to get the best value. Using it for a week would easily consume 100 litres plus if it is worked. Pity to hire for a week and only use it for a few days.

Cheers Concrete