Snowflakes - sammy1

What is going on lately? Alister Stewart sacked for having a private view on social media that even the recipient didn't seem too worried about. And then there is Ben Stokes giving presumably as good has he got from a spectator and getting admonished and fined! There are many other examples I could quote. Whatever happened to free expression in this country? I have every respect for individuals defending their corner

Snowflakes - Engineer Andy

That ended soon after 1997 with the Blair generation (including Cameron & May) of politicians taking over. Virtue-signalling to every minority and special interest group became more the just a hobby, more like an entire industry, helped by the the publci sector, so-called charities (many who are little more than political action groups) and an increasing amount of big business, fed by the media who saw the opportunity to monetise the whole thing, and are still doing so to this day.

Free speech in the UK has gone due to the deliberate draconian interpretation (which was never envisenged by those drawing it up) of the Communications Decency Act and other laws passed since which enabled those in positions of authority to abuse it for their own financial and political gains, or proverbial ideological crusades.

At least with leaving the EU we now won't be adhereing to the terrible Article 13, but a lot needs to be done to get back to the far more sensible level of public debate we had before this all kicked off 20-odd years ago.

My advice to people in the public eye - don't use social media like Facebook, Instagram and especially Twitter or suchlike. Do PR the 'old fashioned' way - a website with occasional press releases, videos and interviews that are screened well in advanace of them being released. No off-the-cuff remarks.

Even when the public generally agrees with them and their sentiments (e.g. Laurence Fox), they can still get proverbially crucified on social media and the MSM (and possibly lead to them getting far less work in the future because those running their industry are from the woke crowd) because it generates clicks and thus £££.

Alastair Stewart made a (IMHO) stupid mistake. I personally don't think he's a racist, and I don't recall the same level of clamour for 'cancelling' him was made when celebrities from ethnic, religious or sexual minorities or women make similar remarks (or especially if they are made many times). These days, one mistake is enough, even ones made years ago and/or when a far more naive young person.

I mean, why wasn't Jo Brand sacked or even investigated by the police for making far worse comments (not a joke by any stretch of the imagination) about Nigel Farage (oh yes, that's why).

Snowflakes - groaver

I mean, why wasn't Jo Brand sacked or even investigated by the police for making far worse comments (not a joke by any stretch of the imagination) about Nigel Farage (oh yes, that's why).

Not the police but Ofcom did investigate.

Snowflakes - groaver

My advice to people in the public eye - don't use social media like Facebook, Instagram and especially Twitter or suchlike.

People are best to avoid social media.

It's mostly vacuous nonsense.

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

At least with leaving the EU we now won't be adhereing to the terrible Article 13, but a lot needs to be done to get back to the far more sensible level of public debate we had before this all kicked off 20-odd years ago.

Article 13 as in the Copyright Directive? I'm sure I'm missing something but why is it relevant here?

Snowflakes - Zippy123

Article 13 as in the Copyright Directive? I'm sure I'm missing something but why is it relevant here?

Convention of Human Rights, but that's not EU is it?

Article 13 provides for the right for an effective remedy before national authorities for violations of rights under the Convention. The inability to obtain a remedy before a national court for an infringement of a Convention right is thus a free-standing and separately actionable infringement of the Convention.

Sounds like a good idea to me: Govt persecutes you, you have the right to appeal to a higher court.

Never trusted anyone who wants rid of the Human Rights Act (Mrs May for one). What did she want - the right to imprison people without trial, for example?

It was widely thought that Art 13 would stop most independent media commentary, whether of politics, news in general or entertainment, even for 'memes' and jokes, because copyright holders would be within their rights to stop ANY of their content being used for anything they deem 'not in their interests', which means people would not be able to critically review a film or TV programme, article, or a speech by a politician, or comment on a news event by showing a short clip (that was relevant to what they were saying).

The same goes for people making commentary memes or jokes using short clips or making up gifs of clips on social media, the equivalent of Punch and Mad amagazine these days. Even including a hyperlink to anm article or suchlike would mean you're in violation and either have to pay to show it or take the content down. Faced with this You Tube et al is likely going to be deleting/censoring lots of content that is posted in or refers to copyrighten content within the EU.

Basically it would silence the little guy (and gal) - the end of free speech ('fair use' would only apply to content outside the EU) - in favour of the Establishment and Big Business, who already have a huge advantage.

Art 13 was very badly worded and the vast majority of MEPs didn't bother reading it before sending it through on the nod, only to realise later but could not do anything once it had gone through. The Commission and top politicos tried to hide the real intent by holding secret sessions of select MEPs to push for a vote before the rest of them knew what was going on.

Snowflakes - Zippy123

Because she didn't.

The full quote - Farage isn't mentioned and she made it clear that it was fantasy at the time.

"During an appearance on BBC Radio 4's Heresy, the comedian was asked by host Victoria Coren Mitchell about the "terrible" state of British politics.

She replied: "Well, yes I would say that but I think that's because certain unpleasant characters are being thrown to the fore and they're very, very easy to hate and I'm kind of thinking: 'Why bother with a milkshake when you could get some battery acid?"

As the studio audience laughed, the 61-year-old added: "That's just me. I'm not going to do it, it's purely a fantasy, but I think milkshakes are pathetic, I honestly do, sorry."

Snowflakes - alan1302

So you think free speech has been eroded but think that Jo Brand should be investigated by the police for a joke?

Also it was a joke - it what way was it not?

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

Even when the public generally agrees with them and their sentiments (e.g. Laurence Fox),

If Laurence Fox has simply waited his turn and made a reasoned argument that this country is fair and an exemplar to the world he'd have been fine.

His offence was to ridicule an audience member, an academic with experience in the field, by talking over her and pulling silly exasperated faces.

And there's nothing racist in pointing out that being a white male conveys a certain degree of privilege. When it comes to discrimination we're at the top of the food chain.

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

Alastair Stewart got in a silly twitter spat with Martin Shapland, an official at the Institution of Civil Engineers. The tweets concerned have been deleted but included a quote by Stewart from Shakespeare carrying the inference that Mr Shapland was an like an angry ape.

You cannot, least of all as a public figure capable of causing reputational damage to your employer, liken a black man to an ape and expect to get away with it.

And no, the fact that Shapland described some body as like cheesecake - rich and white - is not racist; it's actually a rather good line. I suspect though the ICE have offered him 'guidance' on his behaviour.

The cricketer's offence didn't happen in this country. There are rules about use of offensive language. The penalty, loss of part of his match fee rather than disqualification and a one way ticket to LHR, reflected mitigation for the provocation.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 01/02/2020 at 17:00

Alastair Stewart got in a silly twitter spat with Martin Shapland, an official at the Institution of Civil Engineers. The tweets concerned have been deleted but included a quote by Stewart from Shakespeare carrying the inference that Mr Shapland was an like an angry ape.

You cannot, least of all as a public figure capable of causing reputational damage to your employer, liken a black man to an ape and expect to get away with it.

And no, the fact that Shapland described some body as like cheesecake - rich and white - is not racist; it's actually a rather good line. I suspect though the ICE have offered him 'guidance' on his behaviour.

The cricketer's offence didn't happen in this country. There are rules about use of offensive language. The penalty, loss of part of his match fee rather than disqualification and a one way ticket to LHR, reflected mitigation for the provocation.

Funny though how there's one rule for white people/those on the political right and one for everyone else in the eyes of some. I've hears many tiomes of racist comments from ethnic minotrity celebrities and people in the public eye who've got away with it.

For example, I don't recall much clammour for Naz Shah's job (and she still is a Labour MP) after she made far, far worse racist comments (and on a good few occasions, not just something they might regret in the heat of an argument, as I think Stewart did) about young white girls who had been raped for years by grooming gangs of mainly Muslim men in Rotherham and elsewhere.

People make stupid mistakes from time to time, and we cannot all be 'pure' in that regard. Cancel culture is one of the worst aspects of modern life - there's no reason why in the situation Stewart found himself in that a humble (and personal) apology was not in order. People shouldn't throw stones in glass houses.

And as regards Ben Stokes, I wonder what happened to the spectator who was abusing him? After all, Stokes only gave as good as he got (and I don't think that was right), but you have to wonder if the person got off scot-free or was ejected and banned from the stadium/tour.

If we want to be fair (and seen to be) on all sides, then we should be, but going as far as they did with Stewart was wrong when other options were, I believe, far more proportional. I coudl've understood it if it had been over a longer period and was pre-meditated, but it wasn't.

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

For example, I don't recall much clammour for Naz Shah's job (and she still is a Labour MP) after she made far, far worse racist comments (and on a good few occasions, not just something they might regret in the heat of an argument, as I think Stewart did) about young white girls who had been raped for years by grooming gangs of mainly Muslim men in Rotherham and elsewhere.

She re-posted something re-siting the state of Israel in the US. There's a huge issue where anti Israel comments are conflated with anti-Semitism; something that country's government actively encourages. Shah was disciplined over the affair.

The tweet about the Rotherham etc girls could be interpreted as ironic and she almost immediately deleted it.

And as regards Ben Stokes, I wonder what happened to the spectator who was abusing him? After all, Stokes only gave as good as he got (and I don't think that was right), but you have to wonder if the person got off scot-free or was ejected and banned from the stadium/tour.

I've no idea. That's a matter for the SA cricket authorities who are responsible for admissions, stewarding etc.

Snowflakes - Andrew-T

I don't think he did. As I understand it, he quoted a poem, some of which was lifted out of context and interpreted as a racial slur. A sane person would just have ignored it. But of course AS had to grovel publicly and apologise.

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

erroneous post deleted.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 02/02/2020 at 15:15

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

I don't think he did. As I understand it, he quoted a poem, some of which was lifted out of context and interpreted as a racial slur. A sane person would just have ignored it. But of course AS had to grovel publicly and apologise.

You may not have understood it fully then.

The quote, from (I think) Measure for Measure was:

But man, proud man, Dress’d in a little brief authority, Most ignorant of what he’s most assur’d – His glassy essence – like an angry ape”,

He's apparently used it as a 'put down' previously in Twitter spats. On this occasion his opponent, who happens to be black, retweeted it with a neutral comment to effect that an ITV newsreader had compared him to an ape.

MArtin Shapland himself is quite laid back about it:

Metro Newspaper AIUI ITN management became aware and what happened next was their action and not at instigation of Mr Shapland.

As I said previously, the issue is their reputation.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 02/02/2020 at 08:48

Snowflakes - Zippy123

Surely it is right for people to be called out for bad behaviour.

Calling a black bloke an "ape", "wog" or "n*****" is not cheerful banter it is racist abuse.

It should have happened sooner. All that has changed since the '80s when things like this because unacceptable, is that modern media is instant and the audience is huge.

If only this attitude was taken and technology was around when the likes of Saville and his like were around. Their pinching of bums and worse would not have gotten very far.

Snowflakes - gordonbennet

There are signs of a sorely needed backlash to woke snowflakery starting up, and the sooner this becomes the norm the better.

Best advice for middle aged white males is never to apologise to the wokerati when they get all upset over some perceived offence, it only encourages them, but the best advice of all is to avoid those who see offence and 'isms everywhere, utterly boring people anyway.

The real danger is for people who are employed, because the offenderati will not be satisfied until they've seen you not only no platformed but made a social media pariah and they will be delighted to see you sacked forthwith, a prime famous example of which was the witch-hunt of Sir Roger Scruton after that hatchet job from some second rate hack, but there are many unjust cases out there.

The self employed are in a much better position to take the lead in this fight, because their employer can't be bullied into sacking.

Irony in technicolour, Germaine Greer the original feminist no platformed by snowflakery , and just who does one support when hundreds of mainly Muslim parents protest against their young children being indoctrinated into the latest fad in weird sex education.

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

Best advice for middle aged white males is never to apologise to the wokerati when they get all upset over some perceived offence, it only encourages them, but the best advice of all is to avoid those who see offence and 'isms everywhere, utterly boring people anyway.

Perish the fact that anyone might even suggest that being white and male could convey some privilege.....

Edited by Bromptonaut on 01/02/2020 at 21:15

Perish the fact that anyone might even suggest that being white and male could convey some privilege.....

Asking people (again) to 'check their priviledge'. Ahhg. ((epic double facepalm))

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

Asking people (again) to 'check their priviledge'. Ahhg. ((epic double facepalm))

I think you do, but there we have to differ. As the lady Laurence Fox tangled with said, it's something we carry round in a knapsack so light we don't even notice it.

I think you do, but there we have to differ. As the lady Laurence Fox tangled with said, it's something we carry round in a knapsack so light we don't even notice it.

And as I recall, the lady of whom you spoke was a deliberate audience plant by the BBC who was a regular 'newspaper reviewer' on BBC News programming and yet was 'identified' as an 'ordinary member of the public'.

This is exactly why I do not trust the woke Left who engage in indentity politics who want to bring up bad blood where ther wasn't any. These same people actually WANT effective segregation by gender (just with the previously 'lower' groups as they saw they on top), ethnic group etc, the exact opposite of what visionaries like Martin Luther King and many others of his generation wanted and, in my view eventually got. They complain about issues that haven't been a problem, by and large, for 30 years or more.

I and the vast, vast majority of people do not look at a person's skin colour or who or what they are to determine anything, but by their actions and their character, including their attitudes towards others and about genuine equality, not 'equity' (i.e. equality of outcomes not of opportunity). All the current leftist buzzwords are invented so they can gain control in the very same way that racist people decades ago gained control.

Perhaps you should reflect on your own choices and character in this regard, because, quite frankly, it smacks of essentially the very same injustices those you appear to be endorsing on this issue. We cannot go through centuries of 'getting our own back' on current generations because previous ones did not behave as we would. Where does it end? Us Brits demanding £Tns in compensation from the French (Normans), Italians (Romans) and Scandanavians (Vikings, etc etc) for what they did by invading, taking our lands, etc etc over the centuries? Practically every nation and people in the world has at one point or another done unspeakable things to others.

What you keep on advocating is madness.

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

And as I recall, the lady of whom you spoke was a deliberate audience plant by the BBC who was a regular 'newspaper reviewer' on BBC News programming and yet was 'identified' as an 'ordinary member of the public'.

She is a lecturer at Edge Hill University specialising in race and ethnicity. Do you have a source the assertion that she is a reviewer and a plant?

Frankly, I'm not engaging with the word woke. It's up there with PC and virtue signalling as having no meaning beyond the pejorative.

I accept what you say about your own reaction of not seeing a person's skin colour but I don't thin it's anything like as mainstream as you say.

I'm perfectly content with my own choices and resent the reference to character. None of what I've advocated in this thread is about 'getting our own back'; to be honest I think you're setting up a straw man.

She is a lecturer at Edge Hill University specialising in race and ethnicity. Do you have a source the assertion that she is a reviewer and a plant?

See her OWN twitter page:

twitter.com/RachelCBoyle1/status/11630473689185361...2

twitter.com/RachelCBoyle1/status/11601680381944381...4

Twice in as many weeks and just in the last 9 months! If the BBC didn't know she'd been on TV with them recently, then they were incompetent at best. It was also telling that neither the BBC or she denied them knowing that she'd recently featured on BBC Breakfast. TBH when I saw the show, I thought she was white, and I wouldn't be suprised most people did at first glance.

Frankly, I'm not engaging with the word woke. It's up there with PC and virtue signalling as having no meaning beyond the pejorative.

I accept what you say about your own reaction of not seeing a person's skin colour but I don't thin it's anything like as mainstream as you say.

I'm perfectly content with my own choices and resent the reference to character. None of what I've advocated in this thread is about 'getting our own back'; to be honest I think you're setting up a straw man.

You exactly illustrate my point - you only want to deabte within the confines of your own leftist bubble, and why you will seemingly never take anything from a right-of-centre person or source as true or worthy if it comes to contradicting your own world view. It is why I question your claim of being unbiased in your former civil service position.

I'm not misrepresenting your views either - your 'knapsack' comment was also just lifting from Ms Boyle's own words, which rather demonstrates you can't debate outside of your leftist bubble. Perhaps a period of reflection is in order on your part.

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

See her OWN twitter page:

twitter.com/RachelCBoyle1/status/11630473689185361...2

twitter.com/RachelCBoyle1/status/11601680381944381...4

Twice in as many weeks and just in the last 9 months! If the BBC didn't know she'd been on TV with them recently, then they were incompetent at best. It was also telling that neither the BBC or she denied them knowing that she'd recently featured on BBC Breakfast. TBH when I saw the show, I thought she was white, and I wouldn't be suprised most people did at first glance.

I make same mistake vis a vis Duchess of Sussex. For both it's probably more obvious in the flesh. Doesn't alter facts.

You exactly illustrate my point - you only want to deabte within the confines of your own leftist bubble, and why you will seemingly never take anything from a right-of-centre person or source as true or worthy if it comes to contradicting your own world view. It is why I question your claim of being unbiased in your former civil service position.

I'm not misrepresenting your views either - your 'knapsack' comment was also just lifting from Ms Boyle's own words, which rather demonstrates you can't debate outside of your leftist bubble. Perhaps a period of reflection is in order on your part.

I'm not taking advice on bubbles from people who live in the PC/virtue signalling/Woke pejorative bubble (and repeatedly harp on about a profession I left years ago). Whatever basis Ms Boyle was on QT, and I believe the current producer is trying to spice it up c/p the Day/Dimbleby era, I think her words are spot on. It ill behoves a man like Fox to roll his eyes and speak over her when she describes her lived experience as a mixed race woman.

That's not an opinion that's new to me. I recall drawing the food chain analogy (when it comes to discrimination the while person, particularly male is the Blue Whale) at a Diversity seminar following McPherson report c2001.

Aparently the vast majority of the QT audience disagrees with your opinions, which says rather a lot, given it was held in Liverpool, hardly a bastion of the political Right.

That you felt the need to (or would benefit by) attend a 'diversity seminar' also says rather a lot, living in your political bubble remote from the rest of us, despite (presumably) your 'enlightened' upbringing and education.

Oh dear. I think you need to equate yourself with the real world by exiting from Corbynland.

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

That you felt the need to (or would benefit by) attend a 'diversity seminar' also says rather a lot, living in your political bubble remote from the rest of us, despite (presumably) your 'enlightened' upbringing and education.

We are, to use an old legal word play, like property lawyers arguing from different premises.

We disagree; that's life.

Diversity training was mandated by my employer following Macpherson's report into the Metropolitan Police's conduct of the Stephen Lawrence inquiry.

I'm genuinely surprised that something similar is not done in private sector organisations, at least for seniors and those with management responsibility for large numbers of staff. It might save a lot of money if it stops them being taken to the cleaners on a discrimination claim.

I'm genuinely surprised that something similar is not done in private sector organisations, at least for seniors and those with management responsibility for large numbers of staff. It might save a lot of money if it stops them being taken to the cleaners on a discrimination claim.

Private sector has to make a profit or go broke, employment and promotions should only be based on merit, ie the best applicant or employee gets the job no matter what.

We are, to use an old legal word play, like property lawyers arguing from different premises.

We disagree; that's life.

Diversity training was mandated by my employer following Macpherson's report into the Metropolitan Police's conduct of the Stephen Lawrence inquiry.

Maybe because most employers don't discriminate. In the main, an employer wants the best people, otherwise another firm gets them and they lose out financially, even going under. And there's a BIG difference between someone being discriminated on the basis of race, gender, etc and someone being just a poor quality manager and treating them and (normally) most if not all other staff members like carp.

The problem is that people such as yourself and the SJWs see discrimination at every turn, just because A gets a job or promotion and B doesn't. People don't deserve X or Y because it should fullfill a checklist - the best person for the job, etc, and ONLY that should be the criteria. I couldn't care less whether none or all of my colleagues are women, or black, or Muslims, or whatever - as long as they do their jobs very well and treat myself, eachother and those outside of the firm/organisation with the proper respect.

I've found that, in my experience in the (private sector) workplace, the overwhelming (and I mean well over 95%) of discrimination from managers stems from:

1. Personality clashes;
  2. Subordinates being better than them at their job and possibly either showing them up as inadequate at their job and a threat or do not like it that they will likely surpass them to become their boss;
  3. Personal favouritism, e.g. from friendships or someone being a spouse or family member (the second can go both ways), or;
  4. Tthe manager being a complete t*** generally and never suitable as a manger/business owner in the first place (they treat everyone badly).

I've worked with a large range of people, both men and women, and from a diverse ethnic/religious/etc backgrounds and age, and to this day, not one has said they have ever been discriminated against based on based on race or gender. The other categories, on the other hand...

'Diversity training' has made the Police is joke. It's gone from having some (but not endemic [I happen to disagree with the MacPherson report in many aspects]) racist elements and practices to now pandering towards certain groups, leading to a good number never having their word questioned (i.e. believing people whatever the evidence [or lack thereof] says) or turning a blind eye to decades of continuous despicable law breaking (Muslim grooming gangs, criminality in London).

The reason I believe that 'diversity training' takes place and mutliple discrimination claims are brought in the public sector (far, far lower than in the private sector) is, in my view, precisely because the former is living in the past with their management practices from 40+ years ago.

The rest of working society has (and had to) move on decades ago (though there's still some way to go in those other areas - management training and headhunting talent) otherwise we'd quickly lose our status as a top 10 economy (especially per capita). That we have slipped since political correctness entered our culture in the late 1990s and an unreformed Public Sector shows that we still have a long way to go to preserve and perhaps even improve our position in the world.

That the electorate has finally started to cotton on to this (especially in the former industrial heartlands outside of the metropolitan intelligencia/Westminster bubble) is, to me, a good sign that things are turning in the right (correct) direction.

Snowflakes - Zippy123

and just who does one support when hundreds of mainly Muslim parents protest against their young children being indoctrinated into the latest fad in weird sex education.

These are junior school kids.

They are being taught that there are homosexual people as well as heterosexual people and that people are equal, regardless of creed, sexual orientation, gender or race.

They are not being taught any more or how to "do it".

This is from a 25 year old teacher at the school that I personally know, who gets hate mail, obscene phone calls, death threats, a faeces through her letter box at home, have her car tyres stabbed, her car windows broken and her car paintwork ruined.

The kids who are younger than 11 bring knives in to school, insist a female teacher shouldn't be obeyed, throw chairs across the classroom and if you dare put one in detention then the parents will come in threatening violence because their "angel" could do no wrong!

Snowflakes - Andrew-T

... made a social media pariah ...

It's an empty threat as far as I am concerned, I have no use for social media anyhow.

Snowflakes - alan1302

The real danger

T

The real danger is that there are people like yourself that actually believe all that

Snowflakes - John F

The real danger is .....

.....as always, the highly intelligent psychopath. Next level down are the violent bigots, especially religious and political ones (e.g. fatwas, supremacists). Then we have flu.....

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

Best advice for white middle aged males (and anyone else) is to select brain before engaging mouth or keyboard.

Snowflakes - Andrew-T

Calling a black bloke an "ape", "wog" or "n*****" is not cheerful banter it is racist abuse.

He didn't. The quote (see above) is 'like an angry ape'. That is not calling anyone such, and it seems the callee didn't particularly mind anyway. Is it better to make the same remark to a white person or a black one? If so, why so, if we are all meant to be gender-neutral ?

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

He didn't. The quote (see above) is 'like an angry ape'. That is not calling anyone such, and it seems the callee didn't particularly mind anyway.

I don't think adding 'like' into the mix helps. It doesn't become alright if one describes a black man (or woman) as like an angry ape. If I used those words in relation to a black colleague or client, I'd expect my P45 in minutes.

The callee, having got an apology, seems laid back. That does not however help Stewart as the issue is reputational damage to ITN/ITV.

Snowflakes - sammy1

How on twitter or any social media unless you know the person how do you know their race ethnicity or any thing else about them. On this forum for instance I haven't a clue who some of you are let alone your sex or LGBGT but we are mostly talking cars

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

How on twitter or any social media unless you know the person how do you know their race ethnicity or any thing else about them. On this forum for instance I haven't a clue who some of you are let alone your sex or LGBGT but we are mostly talking cars

I think most people have a picture/Avatar and/or some profile information that will act as a clue. Martin Shapland's Twitter page is here:

https://twitter.com/MShapland

Snowflakes - Andrew-T

Well, yes and no. There is a wide spectrum of what you loosely describe as 'bad behaviour'. Today's problem is that an increasing number of tetchy people seem to spice up their lives by going round looking for it, sometimes setting their bar ridiculously low. I don't think it lubricates the wheels of society if oversensitive people call too many shots on small provocation.

Snowflakes - Andrew-T

Now there are some people ready to go public because someone or something has made them feel 'uncomfortable' without asking their permission first. Get a life, I say, hopefully a more comfortable one.

By the overuse of 'ist and other 'ism pejoratives aimed at anyone not falling into line with new think, normal people are simply fed up with snowflakes and their assorted allies, now the reaction is thankfully no longer to automatically apologise, instead increasing numbers of people no longer take them or their never ending complaints and demands seriously and are now openly laughing at them.

Snowflakes - Zippy123

By the overuse of 'ist and other 'ism pejoratives aimed at anyone not falling into line with new think, normal people are simply fed up with snowflakes and their assorted allies, now the reaction is thankfully no longer to automatically apologise, instead increasing numbers of people no longer take them or their never ending complaints and demands seriously and are now openly laughing at them.

So does that mean I need to ignore my conscience and do nothing when a racIST berates ad bullies someone for wearing a Hijab (veil). It's banter after all, doesn't hurt anyone does it.

Or how about the misogynISTs demanding two lesbians kiss so that they can get some cheap thrills. It's all just banter after all, even when they start throwing things at their faces. No harm done really, just lads out and having a bit of fun.

Of course Saville was a rapIST. That's ok, he was just doing what nature intended. Blokes having fun and all that.

I also know of some really lovely people, facIST, they liked killing people that didn't agree with them or their way of life. We better not comment about them for fear of them crying home to their mums.

Snowflakes - Andrew-T

<< So does that mean I need to ignore my conscience and do nothing when a racIST berates ad bullies someone >>

Perhaps so. By all means listen to your conscience, but maybe learn to prevent it getting loose. Stirring up more antagonism may make you feel better, but the overall result may be negative.

Regarding the hijab, I don't banter about those. I find it pathetic that a religion persuades women that wearing one is their duty. But more importantly, people living in the UK are expected to reveal their identity in public. I don't see why we should be nice to others who will not comply purely because of what they believe in. After all, balaclavas don't have a very good reputation.

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

Perhaps so. By all means listen to your conscience, but maybe learn to prevent it getting loose. Stirring up more antagonism may make you feel better, but the overall result may be negative.

Zippy makes salient points each of which crosses the threshold for IST/ISM. I don't think it behoves older white men to get judgemental about these things.

Regarding the hijab, I don't banter about those. I find it pathetic that a religion persuades women that wearing one is their duty. But more importantly, people living in the UK are expected to reveal their identity in public. I don't see why we should be nice to others who will not comply purely because of what they believe in. After all, balaclavas don't have a very good reputation.

I've spoken to many women, mostly female colleagues, about the headscarf and it's a bit more complex than 'duty'. Islam is a lifestyle and several of them describe the headscarf as empowering.

Very few Islamic women, and none of those I've mentioned, wear the full face covering but I see no reason to disrespect those who do. If they need to be identified at airport check in or in process of (say) criminal investigations or court proceedings then there's a practical problem to solve. If the woman in front of me at the supermarket is wearing one then so what?

Snowflakes - alan1302

But more importantly, people living in the UK are expected to reveal their identity in public

Is that true?

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

But more importantly, people living in the UK are expected to reveal their identity in public

Is that true?

No I don't think it is. Some exceptions like security or in court as witness, maybe in a bank or certain other 'official' circumstances.

The comparison with balaclavas is otiose.

Snowflakes - Zippy123

Just to clarify a hijab is a scarf not a burqa and there is a difference. The Queen and half the female OAPs on the way to church on Sunday mornings wear on around their heads.

A burqa is something quite different. People clearly have the right to wear what they want and I am not going to criticise them.

However, in my job, I need to identify people. If I visit a company and the main contact in in a burqa then I cant be sure with whom I am dealing. That's fine. I couldn't proceed unless the person changed in to some other clothing.

If they could not, then all I need to do is arrange for a female member of staff to attend rather then me.

There is no need for offence on either side, though I might have wished for a bit of notice so that I could have arranged a female member of staff to visit in my stead and saved a few quid on expenses.

Snowflakes - Andrew-T

<< The comparison with balaclavas is otiose. >>

Otiose = having no practical purpose, for those who may be puzzled. I don't think it is. Our society depends on being able to identify other people and to judge their intentions by facial expression. Hijabs may not be worn with the same intention as a balaclava, but the result is the same. And while I do not suggest that veiled Muslim women have evil intent, wearing a hijab does offer that opportunity to some others.

Snowflakes - Zippy123

<< The comparison with balaclavas is otiose. >>

Otiose = having no practical purpose, for those who may be puzzled. I don't think it is. Our society depends on being able to identify other people and to judge their intentions by facial expression. Hijabs may not be worn with the same intention as a balaclava, but the result is the same. And while I do not suggest that veiled Muslim women have evil intent, wearing a hijab does offer that opportunity to some others.

A HIJAB is a scarf.

A BURQA is a balaclava like head and body covering.

There is a huge difference. With a HIJAB you can fully see the wearers face. It's a scarf / shawl type affair.

Snowflakes - Andrew-T

<< A BURQA is a balaclava like head and body covering. >>

Thanks Zippy, I know what a burqa is - it's what Boris called a letter-box. But regardless of the name of the garment, my point is about concealing identity. In the UK people sometimes think that can indicate suspicious intent. Even if it usually doesn't, when those garments become less unusual they may offer opportunities to the evil-intentioned.

Maybe I meant a niqab ?

Edited by Andrew-T on 03/02/2020 at 17:31

Snowflakes - Avant

I think - someone correct me if I'm wrong - a niqab covers the face while leaving the eyes uncovered, whereas a burqa covers the whole body, whiith some form of mesh allowing the wearer to see without any of their face being seen.

I agree with what people have said above - these are worn for religious reasons which we must respect. I hope that at least in this country women wear them if they choose to, rather than being forced to by their families.

Snowflakes - Snookey

Andrew T

You're correct on this. Many petrol stations have signage to the effect that motorcyclists must remove their helmet before fuelling. And I doubt there are many major retail centres which it is possible to visit wearing a motorcycle helmet or face-covering balaclava without security staff swiftly demanding its removal. It is commonly expected for people to make themselves identifiable.

Edited by Snookey on 04/02/2020 at 02:50

Snowflakes - Snookey

Offence can only be taken, not given. Someone can say whatever they like, but if others decline to be offended their words are wasted. Hence the old proverb about sticks and stones.

Is it okay to call a white man an ape? It happens a lot. People like Donald Trump, Jeremy Clarkson, Jeremy Corbyn, Piers Morgan, Liam Gallagher, Wayne Rooney. They get it from those in the media, such as journalists and comedians; also from the public in below the line forums for comment and on social media. Since that is generally deemed acceptable, then if the same people call a black man an ape, any outcry is more indicative of some perception formed in the minds of the complainants than the ones who said it, who are simply treating everyone the same, regardless of the colour of their skin.

Edited by Snookey on 04/02/2020 at 03:24

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

Offence can only be taken, not given. Someone can say whatever they like, but if others decline to be offended their words are wasted. Hence the old proverb about sticks and stones.

You mean they should grow a pair?

Is it okay to call a white man an ape? It happens a lot. People like Donald Trump, Jeremy Clarkson, Jeremy Corbyn, Piers Morgan, Liam Gallagher, Wayne Rooney. They get it from those in the media, such as journalists and comedians; also from the public in below the line forums for comment and on social media. Since that is generally deemed acceptable, then if the same people call a black man an ape, any outcry is more indicative of some perception formed in the minds of the complainants than the ones who said it, who are simply treating everyone the same, regardless of the colour of their skin.

It's unacceptable to call anybody an ape or monkey etc. Does it really need to be pointed out though that the linking of black people with monkeys, with the inference they've barely evolved from lower primates, is on a different scale?

Edited by Bromptonaut on 04/02/2020 at 15:32

Snowflakes - Andrew-T

Offence can only be taken, not given.

You're not quite right there, Snookey. I think an offence takes two, like other things. An offended person has grounds to object to an 'offender' only when the offence is/was deliberate or intended. Today's culture seems to ignore that aspect.

Of course many thoughtless remarks are made by many people, and hearers (often not the intended recipient) overreact and become judgmental, occasionally more than that. I just feel that we should not waste too much effort drafting laws to control what is often simple thoughtlessness. If it was not that, but a clear intention to inflame, that is different.

Pity we can't do much about social media though.

Snowflakes - Snookey
...we should not waste too much effort drafting laws to control what is often simple thoughtlessness...

True, but nonetheless it will be interesting to see whether, as with Alistair Stewart, Rebecca Long-Bailey loses her job after describing one of her constituents as having been "a practical vegetable". Though she did have a spokesman apologize for her.

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

True, but nonetheless it will be interesting to see whether, as with Alistair Stewart, Rebecca Long-Bailey loses her job after describing one of her constituents as having been "a practical vegetable". Though she did have a spokesman apologize for her.

Is there even a comparison?

AS lost his job because his employer decided his tweets damaged their reputation.

R L-B's embarrassing slip around a constituent in what sounds to be something close to Persistent Vegetative State is a different kettle of fish.

AS lost his job because his employer decided his tweets damaged their reputation.

Only because certain people who take delight in taking offence (normally at any criticism) did so. Presumably if I take offence at something you say, I, by the same logic, either make a complaint to the Police or go to your employer and demand you get the sack or are forced to resign.

Other than these people who appear to take offence very easily and on behalf of others, I have yet to hear anything from anyone who has said that ITN's reputation has been damaged in any serious or irreprable way in all this. The media, of course, are taking delight in stirring the pot with the activists.

I don't recall any of these people or yourself getting so wound up by leftist or ethnic or religious minority activists getting invloved in online spats and often making very derogatory comments, e.g. Jo Brand (surely either the BBC or CH4's reputation would suffer in the same manner as ITN over Alastiar Stewart) or Naz Shah MP's comments about young white girls from Rotherham (to the Labour party and the standing of MPs generally, and her position generally).

The same also could be said for the derogatory comments made in spats by many SKY News and BBC journalists and presenters, and yet they've gotten away with it. I suspect Stewart hasn't because he's an older white man, now considered to be at the bottom of the tree as regards PC culture and what people can 'get away with'.

Funny how non-apology apologies sufficed for you and them in those cases, despite both being far worse, i.e. thinking violence (that would scar them for life) against democratically elected representatives is fine, and funny (which it wasn't), or the latter thinking that gangs of Mulsim men grooming and then raping young white girls across the UK for years is fine and that 'they deserve it'.

R L-B's embarrassing slip around a constituent in what sounds to be something close to Persistent Vegetative State is a different kettle of fish.

Ms Wrong-Daily's utterances are more a general indictment on the current state of the Labour party and especially the Hard Left that currently dominates it. Yes, it was likely a slip-of-the-tongue, but hers is a Long-established pattern in that regard, hence the pun name she has been saddled with.

To many of us, she is just a younger and female version of Jeremy Corbyn, and why she will, if elected, complete the job of destroying that party that Corbyn started in 2015.

You might think as a (small c) conservative that I might rejoice at that, but as a person that likes democracy (and not bureaucracy), this country needs a decent, credible Opposition to:

• Hold the government to account and to provide a reasonable alternative, and;
  • To keep the government on their toes (and why May was not removed from her position as PM the day after the 2017 General Election by the Tory party) by showing they could take over if required.

A poor Opposition leads to bad government, as we saw from 2016 - 2019.

Going back to the first points: I just hope you don't make any faux-pas, in case someone 'takes offence' and proverbially asks for you head. Cancel culture should be stopped. The media always goes way too far generally (often baying for blood), but also they stir up issues as well by often berrating people in the public eye for NOT being 'hip' if they aren't on social media.

I watched the film 'Richard Jewel' (an excellent and underrated film) at a local cinema today. His case (23+ years ago) of the media and law enforcement unjustifiably going after him rather than the truth just shows that many people in positions of power have learnt nothing and have gotten worse in their behaviour since then.

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

@ Engineer Andy

You're repeating stuff that's already been covered re Naz Shah and Jo Brand. If Stewart had made an edgy joke about (say) genitalia and been sacked he might have elicited some sympathy.

Likening a black/mixed race man to an ape is blind man/galloping horse offensive. That's why he got his cards.

I'm happy to stand by the position I've outlined in this and other similar threads.

If i put a foot wrong or get hoist by my own petard then so be it.

@ Engineer Andy

You're repeating stuff that's already been covered re Naz Shah and Jo Brand. If Stewart had made an edgy joke about (say) genitalia and been sacked he might have elicited some sympathy.

Likening a black/mixed race man to an ape is blind man/galloping horse offensive. That's why he got his cards.

Presumably you'd be all over me if I likened some ginger-haired (but otherwise white) bloke to an orangutan in the heat of an argument. I've occasionally heard a bloke being called an 'ape', the reason - because they acted like one in being overly agressive, throwing their weight around and having tantrums.

I'm happy to stand by the position I've outlined in this and other similar threads.

If i put a foot wrong or get hoist by my own petard then so be it.

But then you're living very comfortably on a government pension and have very little to lose. For most people on social media or forums such as this, posting relatively anonymously means they can get away with a significant amount more than someone in the public eye - it doesn't mean that the former didn't do anything less wrong or the latter deserves their life ruined for one mistake in the heat of the moment.

Do you apply the 'one strike and you're out' policy to all your family and friends? Do they to you? If so, you will be alone pretty soon. People make mistakes, but that doesn't mean they should have their lives ruined for what is, essentially, 'just words' - you know, 'sticks and stones' and all that.

I endured years of nasty name-calling at school, far more than a short twitter spat between two people. Does that mean I would like all these people to be sacked from their jobs as a result - no. There needs to be a sense of proportionality in all this.

Snowlfakes indeed. People these days take offence WAY too easily. All those students etc talking about 'micro-agressions', etc. Why? Because they can monetise it or gain power by doing so rather than by genuine, honest hard work, which is, in my eyes, just as bad as those perpetrating genuine discrimination over the centuries.

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

It is commonly expected for people to make themselves identifiable.

I think what is being described here are certain specific circumstances. There is a long history of crash helmets used both as concealment and protection from security with truncheons and such like when carrying out robbery.

There's no such history with Islamic female dress. If there is a rash of hold ups by men in Burkas the issue might need looking at but the provisions in Equalities legislation mandating reasonable adjustments would be hard to overcome.

Snowflakes - thunderbird

I was driving south on the M1 some years ago and the car (actually think it was a large people carrier) I was just approaching to overtake suddenly came over into my lane without signalling and then almost instantly veered back from the lane they had been in. As I carefully overtook the car I looked over and saw the driver was wearing the headgear with a tiny slot for the eyes.

Wearing such headgear whilst driving is surely dangerous. The restriction to your peripheral vision must be extreme. Considering we have to declare if we have any eye problems that affect your vision when we apply for a licence this is clearly a major safety oversight (no pun intended). Then there is another issue I thought about later, the car had kids in the back and whilst I appreciate they should be belted in and unable to cause problems for the driver not all children are. An example of this recently was a couple in a cafe telling some people nearby that they refused to wear seat belts in their car and also refused to have their children belted in. It was their belief it was dangerous since they could be trapped after an accident and despite having several fines they planned to continue with their crazy life. Now imagine the lady of this couple being out driving a car wearing the religious headgear with unrestrained children in the back. What would happen should children think it amusing for them to pull down said headgear and block the drivers vision.

It may never happen but equally it could and surely we should plan for the unexpected and prevent any chance of such an occurrence.

And before helmets are mentioned the vision slots in those have to meet BS regs plus they are (or should be) securely fastened on.

Snowflakes - FP

As far as I can see, the slot in a burqa is pretty wide and allows peripheral vision.

The scenario in which a child obscures the burqa-wearing driver's vision is a disingenuous way of trying to discredit the wearer. All kinds of things could happen in a car carrying children which could distract or compromise the ability of the driver to drive properly.

I'm afraid this is yet another post which seeks to put back the clock to some time in the past when white European males were unashamed about their supposed superiority. The word "snowflake" in the OP is part of the right-wing vocabulary that has been adopted by those who wish to discredit the so-called liberal left - in many cases the word is just hurled about as some kind of insult.

I am well aware that some of those who take offence and protest about trivia do their cause no good, but to ignore or even exacerbate the vulnerabilities and suffering of those who are despised on a daily basis because of some aspect of their appearance or life-style is not the behaviour of a civilised society.

This thread in general - with some notable exceptions - has made me increasingly uncomfortable the more it has gone on.

Snowflakes - thunderbird

I'm afraid this is yet another post which seeks to put back the clock to some time in the past when white European males were unashamed about their supposed superiority.

Since you do not know me how can you possibly put me in that category of person.

My post has nothing to do with white superiority and as far as I am aware the remainder of the thread hasn't either, that is your personal opinion.

Obscuring your vision is a serious matter. As far as I am aware wearing a crash helmet in a car is not strictly illegal but should the driver be involved in a accident and it is later proved that the helmet restricting visibility was a factor then a prosecution could follow.

There has also been plenty of criticism of the A pillars in modern cars restricting visibility and only a couple of weeks ago there was a thread discussing the location of cameras or sat navs in positions that could cause issues.

It is the H & S of driving with restricted vision I am raising and not White European Superiority (which in truth you have raised). Unless you hadn't noticed they are very different issues.

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

In so far as an offence is committed for lack of proper vision with Islamic dress then it's a matter of fact on the day. Is that driver's vision so so compromised as to be a hazard?

How far can any reduction in vision be mitigated for by turning the head? How does it compare with thick framed spectacles or for that matter letterbox type spectacles where significant areas of vision are outside the optically correct portion of the lens? Don't forget people can legitimately drive with significant defects of vision, including only one functioning eye. My late father in law was in exactly that situation and drove with no problem at all.

Obviously the sort of Burkha sometimes seen in pictures of Afghanistan where vision is through netting would be a no no. On the other hand the (relatively few even in most cosmopolitan areas of UK) women who are fully veiled have a respectable sized gap for the eyes and head movement would adequately compensate.

To me it's a non-problem.

Snowflakes - thunderbird

In so far as an offence is committed for lack of proper vision with Islamic dress then it's a matter of fact on the day. Is that driver's vision so so compromised as to be a hazard?

There is a max % of tint allowed on the windscreen and side windows but how many cars driven not only by Waynes and Kevins do we see with highly illegal film fitted, round these parts loads. Only this lunchtime as I walked into town I passed a unit down the road where tints are fitted, the business owner was telling the young chap what he wanted would make his car illegal yet despite knowing this the business owner was happy to do the work if the young chap signed a disclaimer.

In this instance what would happen if a fatality occurred. Obviously the driver would be prosecuted but would a simple signature absolve all blame from the installer who knew all along it was illegal, I hope not.

Before we get a reply second guessing my thoughts I am not suggesting that the manufacturer of the clothing is in anyway responsible. Unlike widow tints clothing is not bought purely for one purpose.

Problem is would the police actually pursue a prosecution. The CPS are well known for being totally useless and would most likely loose any case that is 100% watertight.

Snowflakes - Andrew-T

In so far as an offence is committed for lack of proper vision with Islamic dress then it's a matter of fact on the day. Is that driver's vision so compromised as to be a hazard?

When everyday British life is limited in so many ways by H&S rules and regulations, it is feebly inconsistent to make concessions to minorities because of religious beliefs or because they might take offence and claim discrimination. As has been described above, poor vision can lead to accidents (motoring connection) affecting innocent parties as well as the minority party. Believers can wear burqas whenever that presents no threat to others' safety.

It's a long time since Sikhs got a dispensation for a turban to be considered as a safety helmet, which would probably be much better protection. It is disingenuous to suggest that wearing a full burqa does not reduce peripheral vision, especially if it includes a mesh. Guessing whether that was the case after an accident has happened is little better than keeping fingers crossed.

And spectacles are usually worn to improve vision, not reduce it.

Edited by Andrew-T on 04/02/2020 at 17:52

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

When everyday British life is limited in so many ways by H&S rules and regulations, it is feebly inconsistent to make concessions to minorities because of religious beliefs or because they might take offence and claim discrimination.

With the greatest possible respect, and ignoring the text I have italicised, I think you need to read my post again.

First of all, as I made explicitly clear I'm not talking of the Afghan style garment with mesh. I'm looking at variations in what we used to call a yashmak. If you look at the pictures here (Wiki) the Afghan dress would be unsuitable, the woman with a scarf over her nose/mouth has vision no worse than mine. There are plenty of other variations where the garment's intrusion into peripheral vision is nil or minimal.

You're off the mark about spectacles too. I've worn glasses for all but fifty years. I choose designs in a teardrop or aviator style where pretty much my entire field of vision is through the lens. For a while fashion dictated narrow letterbox style lenses, with or without frames. In those, unless I moved my head in an exaggerated fashion I'd risk relying on uncorrected vision under, over or to side of lens and distortions at its extremities. Never mind bits of the frame. .

Edited by Bromptonaut on 04/02/2020 at 21:03

Snowflakes - Andrew-T

<< For a while fashion dictated narrow letterbox style lenses, with or without frames. >>

I don't recall a time when it was not possible to get lenses larger than those you describe. My local optician is festooned with every possible size and shape.

My point about wearing glasses (while driving) was that their purpose (as I'm sure you realised) is to improve the driver's vision. Pieces of fabric around the eyes, however they are named, cannot.

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

My point about wearing glasses (while driving) was that their purpose (as I'm sure you realised) is to improve the driver's vision. Pieces of fabric around the eyes, however they are named, cannot.

And my point is that there are plenty of instances where spectacles that are in various combinations wrongly prescribed, badly fitted or with frames that owe more to fashion than practicality.

They too can mean drivers vision is not what it should be.

Law should look at individual cases/facts.

Banning a tiny minority of women from driving in their chosen dress, which I presume is what you advocate, will achieve nothing while stoking up a lot of ill will.

Snowflakes - Andrew-T

<< Banning a tiny minority of women from driving in their chosen dress, which I presume is what you advocate, will achieve nothing while stoking up a lot of ill will. >>

I missed this remark earlier. I have never suggested a ban; you are making another of your random assumptions. I suggested that ethnic or religious differences should not be a reason for special dispensations which might affect others adversely - hence my reference to the Sikh turban. Equality for all, if you prefer.

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

I missed this remark earlier. I have never suggested a ban; you are making another of your random assumptions. I suggested that ethnic or religious differences should not be a reason for special dispensations which might affect others adversely - hence my reference to the Sikh turban. Equality for all, if you prefer.

You made points on this thread which appeared to me to suggest driving in a headscarf might be unacceptable or present a danger. It seemed that you and at least one other were saying 'something must be done'.

If the risk is a real and serious one I agree but for most part IF there is an issue it can be mitigated by moving the head. If a police officer sees a driver in (say) an Afghan style Burkha then he/she should be stopped and relevant not in control or similar offence charged.

Do we need more than that?

Edited by Bromptonaut on 06/02/2020 at 09:34

Snowflakes - Andrew-T

<< If the risk is a real and serious one I agree but for most part IF there is an issue it can be mitigated by moving the head. If a police officer sees a driver in (say) an Afghan style Burkha then he/she should be stopped and relevant not in control or similar offence charged. >>

That will fall naturally within current police powers, and will presumably be as effective as preventing use of mobiles and the like. But in addition to that, I suspect that the wish to avoid racial or religious disputes will override everything. I wish irrational (my opinion) beliefs didn't carry so much effective weight.

Snowflakes - groaver

When everyday British life is limited in so many ways by H&S rules and regulations,

No it's not and never has been.

Show me the regulations that you believ curtails your freedom or way of life for the worse.

Snowflakes - alan1302

When everyday British life is limited in so many ways by H&S rules and regulations,

You any examples of these limitations?

Snowflakes - thunderbird

You're off the mark about spectacles too. I've worn glasses for all but fifty years. I choose designs in a teardrop or aviator style where pretty much my entire field of vision is through the lens.

Since I have been wearing spectacles for about 58 years I also have plenty of experience.

Over the years I have worn aviator style, round but now prefer what I call the traditional shape for one simple reason, the smaller size makes them so much lighter and more comfortable. I have been wearing varifocals for over 20 years.

With this type of frame there is no need for the field of vision to be restricted if they are fitted correctly. Not all optitions take the care to do this and it makes a huge difference. The worst experience I have had was with a very expensive frame and lens combination from a local independent optition which was a total disaster. Driving was difficult to dangerous. Last year I bought a pair of "cheap" prescription varifocals from Asda for £45. I had no intention of driving in them, only bought them for walking. But they instantly proved themselves to be a perfect fit and the varifocal design/prescription was as good as I have ever had especially the pair I spoke of above that cost over £500. Regularly drive in them.

You should try Asda.

Interesting article here by Douglas Murray, about the recent sacking of Alastair Stewart.

Anyone still capable of balanced thought should read and digest this.

unherd.com/2020/01/will-no-one-resist-the-new-tota.../

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

Interesting article here by Douglas Murray, about the recent sacking of Alastair Stewart.

Anyone still capable of balanced thought should read and digest this.

unherd.com/2020/01/will-no-one-resist-the-new-tota.../

What he says about Solzhenitsyn's reflections on a totalitarian state is interesting stuff. Very much on same page as Martin Niemoller's 'First They Came'. Perhaps chillingly relevant to our times as governments become more authoritarian.

I haven't time now to read Mike Tunison's stuff but it's a hell of a leap from state actors in USSR or 3rd Reich to Alistair Stewart or other broadcasters.

The simple fact is that Stewart breached his terms of employment. These would almost certainly have contained a provision about activity likely to affect his employer's reputation. Likening a black man to an ape while the public face of a commercial broadcaster is self evidently going to affect their reputation. It's not a risque joke or even a hand ill placed on a woman's body for a second. The comparison he made is beyond the pale in terms of social mores of UK.

A blind man on a galloping horse could see that.

It's analogous to a Darwin award only he killed his career not himself.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 05/02/2020 at 14:22

I don't recall you seeing his employment contract. Or that other celebs and people in the public eye getting the sack for doing similar things on every occasion.

Funny how those same 'standards' never apply to 'people of colour' or Muslims when abusing either colleagues, competitors or ordinary people, despite what is being said and done being far worse, as I pointed out earlier. Is racism or sexism (or any other ism) something that cannot happen to a white person, specifically a straight man who's a Christian, for example?

Douglas Murray is probably one of the top minds as regards political and societal commentary today, a man who was a protege of the late, great Roger Scruton.

You just cannot ever admit to being wrong, or even the possibility - the sheer arrogance of the hard core socialist. And you wonder why more and more of the population have utter contempt for Civil Servants, especially those in Whitehall.

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

@Engineer Andy,

You repeat stuff about so called unfair treatment of white people and men c/p to other races and women over again. Repetition does not make it true.

I'm also fed up with your constant personal digs about my former career, pension and your assertion that I am some sort of hard core socialist. As I'm sure I've made clear before I'm Old Labour in tradition best exemplified by Tony Crosland.

A balanced view of the world is not obtained by looking down a rolled up copy of the Telegraph.

Snowflakes - Andrew-T

A balanced view of the world is not obtained by looking down a rolled up copy of the Telegraph.

Or The Grauniad ? :-)

@Engineer Andy,

You repeat stuff about so called unfair treatment of white people and men c/p to other races and women over again. Repetition does not make it true.

I repeat it because you appear not to want to comment on things that destory your own assertions and arguments. Not engaging in debate and admittting ones flaws in an argument is a sign of arrogance, often to be found in those on the more extreme ideological wings of political parties.

I'm also fed up with your constant personal digs about my former career, pension and your assertion that I am some sort of hard core socialist. As I'm sure I've made clear before I'm Old Labour in tradition best exemplified by Tony Crosland.

Saying something and your actions are two very different things, Sir. And I've seen some of your commentary on other websites regarding your views about both socialism and Communism, and they certainly aren't on the moderate 'right' of the Labour party.

The difference is that you, on principle, will seemingly never consider reading or believing anything from such newspapers, meaning you only take your news from within your bubble, reinforcing your views even more, just like with Corbyn, McDonnell & Co. I can almost see the utter disdain dripping from your words when you mention The Telegraph.

I, and many other people, have different political views to you and come from a right-of-centre persuasion, but still read articles from newspapers, online media etc whose editorial/political standpoint is different to ours. I take each article on its merits, which is why on these pages I have consistently advocated newspapers of all hues, especially the 'serious' newspapers, to separate factual news reporting from commentary.

It is also the reason why I am becoming increasingly disillusioned with the Telegraph, not because it is necessarily going too right wing or too much towards the centre, but that factual news reporting is being increasingly mixed in with commentary and agendas of the articles' authors. Sadly, the same is happeneing across the traditional print news media and now TV news.

As such, I now have to search more often and far wider to get a more accurate picture of the news, not just from the Telegraph. And I don't always think I'm correct on all issues, and am willing to listen to and debate others who at least acknowledge other viewpoints and possible outcomes/answers are possible.

TBH, it still staggers me you worked in Whitehall as a Civil Servant, because your views are both so strident and you cannot appear to consider ther is another side to an issue or argument or that the other view might be right. I cannot see how you would happily compromise those views at work that you could never do outside of it.

Tim Pool has said this on his YT channel about many on the political Left, that their worldview is so limited by their ideology that it distorts how they conduct themselves in the jobs or when discussing issues. He said that many on the Right (not including the Far Right) as well as centrists (including centre-left and centre-right) are able to be objective and essentially unbiased in the workplace, but rarely those on the hard Left/proper socialist side of things.

I am merely pointing out that sometimes people need to look inwardly and at other perspectives on life and issues, because sometimes what we think we believe is right and whatactually is are two very different things. I'm happy to do that (I question myself regularly) - are you? Are you that sure of yourself on every issue?

Snowflakes - galileo

Andy, be reassured that most of the population have similar views to yourself, the recent election result is proof of this.

Your comments that Civil Servants' personal beliefs may influence their actions may well be true and apply also to Local Council chiefs, heads of Quangos and various other posts which all have a great influence on how the country is run (or mismanaged).

"Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister" illustrated how bureaucracy operated to delay and frustrate changes it does not like. The writers drew on inside experience, the last three years of Project Fear suggest things have not changed much since they wrote those scripts.

I would suggest you don't waste more of your time on this topic, it is as pointless as trying to reform habitual criminals or de-radicalise terrorists

Snowflakes - Andrew-T

I would suggest you don't waste more of your time on this topic ...

Galileo, you may have noticed that I decided on that course already. I know this is a General Discussion, but we are a long way from discussing Snowflakes.

Andy, be reassured that most of the population have similar views to yourself, the recent election result is proof of this.

Your comments that Civil Servants' personal beliefs may influence their actions may well be true and apply also to Local Council chiefs, heads of Quangos and various other posts which all have a great influence on how the country is run (or mismanaged).

"Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister" illustrated how bureaucracy operated to delay and frustrate changes it does not like. The writers drew on inside experience, the last three years of Project Fear suggest things have not changed much since they wrote those scripts.

I would suggest you don't waste more of your time on this topic, it is as pointless as trying to reform habitual criminals or de-radicalise terrorists

Probably true, even if I would never call Bromp something that severe.

Snowflakes - FP

"You just cannot ever admit to being wrong, or even the possibility..."

And what if he is, in fact right?

Just because you sincerely believe (at least, I hope you do) that you are right, and just because you have found people who think like yourself, it does not mean you are right.

Your choice of the word "arrogance" might be less than wise.

Snowflakes - thunderbird

I trust you are not suggesting that the views anyone holds should they be different to yours could possibly mean that they are criminals or terrorists.

Lots of people hold views very different to mine and I doubt any are terrorists, just simply missguided souls.

Snowflakes - Bromptonaut

I am unshakeable in my belief in liberal values and moderate left politics. I have little to learn from people who frame arguments in terms of PC, woke, virtue signalling etc because they are invariably trying to turn the clock back on the very values in which I believe.

I've used the Bromptonaut moniker for around 20 years and may have been rash on occasions but I'm curious as to the other sites where I've been fomenting communist revolution.

Andy has a different view of the world and that's fine. Galileo is entitled to his view too. I enjoy the challenge of debate and locating my own facts or seeking to disprove those asserted by others.

I'm always happy to listen to other views but I will not be browbeaten into accepting them as truth.

I do though find the personal attacks on my background and integrity wearing and I suspect they are in breach of site rules. On a point of fact I never worked in Whitehall, my horizons never rose above middle management, casework and operational support. My work persona is very different to the one that you see here where i am in a hobby of debate.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 05/02/2020 at 18:34

Snowflakes - Avant

Personal attacks are indeed in breach of site rules. I was tempted to close this thread yesterday, and will do so tomorrow unless anyone has anything constructive to add.

Please always express views on here in terms that you would be happy to use if you were meeting face-to-face - as Bromptonaut invariably does.

There are examples of people in glass houses everywhere, this forum is not exempt.

For myself i shall no longer bother with threads on this forum that get involved in politics or other social subjects, personal attacks can result in vile insults and have done so before, either moderation applies equally to all or it doesn't.

Snowflakes - alan1302

There are examples of people in glass houses everywhere, this forum is not exempt.

For myself i shall no longer bother with threads on this forum that get involved in politics or other social subjects, personal attacks can result in vile insults and have done so before, either moderation applies equally to all or it doesn't.

Moderation does apply equally here though - it's a very well managed forum.

Snowflakes - galileo

For clarification, my comments about how hard it is to change people's opinions, attitudes and beliefs may have offended some members.

I should perhaps have instead referred to the conversion of Saul on the road to Damascus, which changed him from a persecutor of Jesus to a disciple and evangelist.

This was only achieved when he was struck with a divine visitation that knocked him flat.

(The Bible is not so widely read these days but for those interested Google will find details of Damascene conversion: Whether this actually happened as described is another question, no wish to start another thread on that topic!)

Snowflakes - madf

"For clarification, my comments about how hard it is to change people's opinions, attitudes and beliefs.."

Some of you may realsie we have had a General Election in which one Party was trounced. There were a number of reasons suggested for that trouncing.. some of which were probably more important than others..

Read the Guardian's Opinion columns and the comments and you will see large scale denial of any issues at all ..is widespread..

(the DT's columns are similar but on differing subjects.. On Global Warming for example, it is obvious to many commentators that the climate is cooling but they have yet to produe teh evidence:-)