Toyota Prius - PCN shows on TFL account but 9 months later no let - Renault4

Hi John. I received a PCN from TFL today, and when I went online to pay it , just by chance I scrolled down to find out that the car that I drive now ( I hire the car , its not mine)

I find out that there is 4 old PCN related to congestion charge (London) all alleged PCN happend in April and May 2019.I was driving the car at that time. but the problem is to this day 20 of January 2020 I have never received any letters from TFL related to this 4 specific PCN. what should I do? Thank you

Toyota Prius - PCN shows on TFL account but 9 months later no let - Bromptonaut

I find out that there is 4 old PCN related to congestion charge (London) all alleged PCN happend in April and May 2019.I was driving the car at that time. but the problem is to this day 20 of January 2020 I have never received any letters from TFL related to this 4 specific PCN. what should I do? Thank you

Does the website show current status of the old PCNs? They will go initially to the keeper, presumably hire company. What do they say?

Thanks for your reply

The status is

• Congestion Charge PCN
  • Amount outstanding: £240.00
  • Date and time: 10 April 2019 at 13:25

The hire never got in touch with me about any PCN. I believe they just give TFL the details of the drivers.

I do receive PCN letters from TFL from time to time. but never received letters about the PCN dated in April and May. so its has been 9 months now.

what do you think I should do?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Edited by Renault4 on 21/01/2020 at 11:11

what do you think I should do?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Hmm, risk of them coming back to bite yr b*m!!

I'll dig about and see if I can fins anything useful.

The enforcement process is outlined here:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge/penalties-and-enforcement

and in more detail here:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/congestion-charge/penalties-and-enforcement/enforcement-process

So it looks as if those from last year have progressed to a Charge Certificate, ie they've gone unpaid and the charge has been increased by 50%. Usual process after that is they're registered at the Traffic Enforcement Centre and a Bailiff gets involved.

Given the hire company has 'dobbed you in' for the recent one I'm surprised they didn't do same for those last year - otherwise it's their door the bailiff is knocking on!!

Have you moved home in last year or is there any other reason to suppose the hire company might have given them a wrong address for you?

Edited by Bromptonaut on 21/01/2020 at 22:46

I still live in the same adress. and I did receive another PCN from TFL just 2 weeks ago.

so TFL do have my correct address. I have a question: does TFL must send me a PCN letter within a time limit. do you think I have a chance if I go to court.

Thanks again for all your help

Probably best to keep your head down regarding the old ones.

Theoretically if you never got the PCN they should re-serve it and start again including opportunity to pay at reduced rate or contest it, including appeal to a Tribunal (these things don't excepting one circumstance go anywhere near a court). TfL are however notorious for being aggressive and (you might say) bone headed in pursuit of penalties. I suppose in their defence they see every try on under the sun.

If you're approached by a debt collector over the old charges you can make what is called a Statutory Declaration to say you didn't get PCN or subsequent notices. That would be decided by a County Court and if successful has effect of re-starting the process.

If you hear anything about the old notices come back for more advice or try pepipoo:

http://www.pepipoo.com/

Thank you

Toyota Prius - PCN shows on TFL account but 9 months later no let - HGV ~ P Valentine

Hello,

I have to say right of that legally I am unclear of where the law stands on this, but reading through the online pages that have been posted makes some interesting points in terms of time given to respond, I do however know a bit about hiring a vehicle.

it is true that the initial notice would have gone to the hire company as they would have been the registered keeper of the vehicle, it is also possible that some clerical error may have occurred within that company of getting the notices to you, it also possible that all they do as suggested is get your details from the hire company and send it direct to your address.

I would suggest your first step is to go to the hire company and ask if they received the notice or just passed on your details.

The timeline is crap, 9 mths after they tell you grrrr, if its in the system then it will get to you eventually, if it turns out they sent the notice to the hire company and they have sat on it then you certainly have the right to expect them to cover the additional cost because of their negligence. If not then you should address the same letter to the pcn office and ask why it has taken so long, if you call them then find some way of recording the call and taking down the name of the people you speak to so they do not change their story.

Because of the timeline do not pay it without a fight, unless they will let you pay it at the reduced rate.

Toyota Prius - PCN shows on TFL account but 9 months later no let - Tester

Just a gentle suggestion - if you are getting PCNs 'from time to time', might it make sense and save you money to learn the rules and re-calibrate your driving practices to follow those rules?