Plumbing. - Squirrel tail

I recently had a Combi boiler fitted, replacing a traditional system. I was looking forward to having "instant" not water available at the adjacent sink. But the hot water is pumped round the rest of the system before arriving at the sink. The plumber assures me that this was the only way it could be done. As a layman, I would have thought the direction of flow was immaterial. Anyone got any constructive thoughts on the matter, please?

I know this isn't a plumbing forum, but _ _ _ _ !

Plumbing. - RichardW

Presumably you had a HW cylinder before? I suspect that plumber has taken the HW from the boiler and tied it in to the HW supply in the old airing cupboard, thus the HW has to go from the Combi boiler up to the cupboard before coming back (potentially by some circuitous route) to the sink. There's no reason why he couldn't have teed off the HW from the boiler and short cut it to the sink, but depending on the layout this might have involved taking half the kitchen / bathroom (depending on where the boiler is) apart to get the new pipework in. So it could be done, but the costs / time might be prohibitive.

Plumbing. - Bolt

As a matter of interest, I was under the impression a combi was what it said combination boiler it has a twin heat exchanger, one for hot water supply one for the heating

if so hes connected just one heat exchanger instead of both ??? correct me if wrong

Plumbing. - paul 1963

Your correct Bolt, but you can't plumb the hot water into the central heating system as that's sealed, in this case it sounds like as mentioned the plumber has connected up to the old pipe work ( I do hope he's isolated the tank!) rather than run new, if there is a sink near the boiler that should be first in the circuit, think I'd be having him back to make amends.

Plumbing. - Leif

As a matter of interest, I was under the impression a combi was what it said combination boiler it has a twin heat exchanger, one for hot water supply one for the heating

if so hes connected just one heat exchanger instead of both ??? correct me if wrong

Yes, the heating will be a closed loop separate from the hot water. The hot water outlet will be connected to a pipe that leads to the various hot water taps. In my house the first stop is the sink hot tap, so that gets hot water quickly. It takes a minute or so for hot water to reach my bath taps. That IMO is the preferred arrangement.

Why not ask the plumber what he did?

Plumbing. - thunderbird

At our old house we had a traditional gas heating system with a back boiler in the lounge with a hot water cylinder above (gravity heated) in a bedroom. It was fine (we lived there for 37 years) but it did have its downside which was the time taken for hot water to reach the kitchen taps.

When we moved the newer property it had a much newer wall mounted gas boiler in the kitchen with a hot water cylinder in the adjacent bathroom. The cylinder was on the pumped heating system with a 3 port valve to isolate it when it reached the set temp. Much better system and hot water was available almost immediately in both the kitchen and bathroom.

When we planned a loft conversion we were advised that the existing boiler would not be adequate for the additional radiators (4 including conservatory) plus finding space for a cold water storage tank with sufficient head for the upstairs bathroom was the nail in its coffin. We were incredibly fortunate that our builder had a very knowledgeable and reasonably priced plumber (his brother in law) who advised us on what really needed doing. With the main system being 40 years old he advised not only changing the boiler but also renewing all the existing pipework and radiators. I gulped at the thought of the cost but on seeing the quote immediately said yes. The new boiler was to be situated in the new upstairs bathroom with the downstairs bathroom (immediately below) and adjacent kitchen being supplied by a pipe that dropped down in a cupboard and split between the 2 rooms.

Hot water is pretty instantaneous at all the taps but obviously its slightly faster in the upstairs bathroom. Very happy with the system

But the icing on the cake is the running costs. At the old 3 bed house we were consuming about 1500 m3 of gas a year. The new property had about the same floor area (but only 2 beds) and was using nearer 1600m3 a year which surprised us since the boiler was newer. The plumber simply told us it was simply because bungalows always use (waste more energy) than houses since the heat downstairs does not go up to help upstairs. With the combi boiler fitted and an additional 600 square feet of floor area our gas usage for 3 winters has averaged about 1100 m3.

Very happy with the result.

I would suggest that the OP contacts the boiler manufacturer and asks if they would come and check the installation. They will normally do this FOC especially if it appears that there is an installation problem an a product that is very strictly controlled. The gas safe register will also assist.

Plumbing. - Engineer Andy

Indeed the benefit from having a boiler+cylinder and in the optimum location is hot water in quick time and no minimum flow rate to get it, unlike with combis. You also have the added benefit (over combis) of less scaling issues and a boiler that lasts longer.

My new combi constantly interrupts the heating every time I turn on a hot tap. I never got that with my old Range Powermax. Problem was for me I had no choice but to replace it (it was 17 years old and just had multiple failures with spares and knowledgeable plumbers getting expensive and hard to come by).

Plumbing. - Andrew-T

<< At the old 3 bed house we were consuming about 1500 m3 of gas a year. The new property had about the same floor area (but only 2 beds) and was using nearer 1600m3 a year which surprised us since the boiler was newer. The plumber simply told us it was simply because bungalows always use (waste more energy) than houses since the heat downstairs does not go up to help upstairs. With the combi boiler fitted and an additional 600 square feet of floor area our gas usage for 3 winters has averaged about 1100 m3. >>

I think you are in desperate trouble if you mean these figures, which I assume will be in cubic feet :-) Even then, it seems quite high to me, but may not be unusual.

I have kept weekly records of all our utilities since 2012, for a fairly large bungalow with three bedrooms, two bathrooms and two occupants. Besides central heating we cook by gas, but a power shower reduces hot-water use somewhat. Our average annual gas use is 450-500 cubic feet. Nearly all of that is for heating, as during the summer we often use less than a cubic-foot a week.

I think your plumber may have been a bit disingenuous in his comment about heat going upstairs. Of course it will do that, but the essential thing is that it doesn't leak out through the walls or the roof. Many years ago I doubled the insulation in most of our loft. I have no proof of how much difference that made, but the loft can be pretty cold in winter and hot in summer, while the house remains at a comfortable temperature.

I posted the original comment. Many thanks for the comments.

Further info, approx 30 years old retirement bungalow, storage tank has been removed. The property is owned but leasehold with maintenance charge. The boiler was replaced under the maintenance agreement. The plumber pointed out that the hot water would take the "long" flow route, I accepted his comment at the time, but queried it after he had left. Wanted to get some thoughts from you gents who had greater knowledge before I make an "official" complaint. My "drinking buddy" had suggested "teeing off"" as one of you suggested.

Once again, thanks for your comments.

Plumbing. - Andrew-T

Further info, approx 30 years old retirement bungalow, storage tank has been removed. The property is owned but leasehold with maintenance charge. The boiler was replaced under the maintenance agreement. The plumber pointed out that the hot water would take the "long" flow route, I accepted his comment at the time, but queried it after he had left. Wanted to get some thoughts from you gents who had greater knowledge before I make an "official" complaint. My "drinking buddy" had suggested "teeing off"" as one of you suggested.

I think you have experienced the same arrangement that we found when we moved here in 2006. The original boiler in the kitchen had been replaced by a combi in the adjacent garage. The hot tank had been removed from the middle of the house, but all the supply pipework left as it was - clearly the simplest option as there's little point making unnecessary work. But after fitting a combi boiler, most hot taps will take longer to get hot water - the saving comes from not continuously losing heat from a tankful of hot water.

The most irritating result was the hot supply to a sink in the utility room which backs onto the garage; that sink is about 4 yards from the new boiler, but hot water had to go at least 30 yards to reach it. A plumber gave us a direct shortcut to that sink, and shortened the run to the kitchen sink at the same time. If your pipework is accessible it needn't be a big job.

Plumbing. - concrete

There are a few things you need to know about before you select a Combi as opposed to a system boiler. The hot water flow rate through the Combi will depend on mains water pressure. So if you are having a shower and someone flushed the toilet, the pressure reduces and your shower slows down. The better Combis cope well with this up to a point (Worcester etc). But if you live in a larger house with a larger family then a Combi is probably not the best option.

Also when you demand hot water the central heating is cut off, as the Combi gives hot water preference. A diverter inside the boiler will divert the cold water supply around the heat exchanger, this cuts off the supply to the radiators. So a large family, all bathing or showering one after the other for an hour, then your radiators will cool down. Also if the hot water system is empty to enable work on it you cannot use the Combi at all for heating or water so make sure it isolated eclectically and put out of use. Otherwise you risk serious damage and failure.

As for your situation it seems as if the plumber has taken the easiest route and simply re-connected to your existing system from the Combi. He should have altered the pipework to facilitate the shortest and most efficient run instead of taking the supply back to the original hot water connection. I found this when I moved into my present house. I could have had the plumber removed from the gas safe register for what he did, but I took pity. I removed a veritable 'christmas tree' form the loft and made direct connections with new pipework. Pure laziness not to in the first place. The outlet from a Combi is only 15mm pipe, so not difficult to run to the nearest efficient connection point. I would be inclined to ask him back to rectify matters and mention the gas safe register(formerly CORGI) to him. He has to be a member to install gas appliances and if they decide to investigate it could be bad for him. Good luck. Cheers Concrete

Plumbing. - thunderbird

I think you are in desperate trouble if you mean these figures, which I assume will be in cubic feet :-) Even then, it seems quite high to me, but may not be unusual.

I have kept weekly records of all our utilities since 2012, for a fairly large bungalow with three bedrooms, two bathrooms and two occupants. Besides central heating we cook by gas, but a power shower reduces hot-water use somewhat. Our average annual gas use is 450-500 cubic feet. Nearly all of that is for heating, as during the summer we often use less than a cubic-foot a week.

I am 100% certain the figures I have quoted are correct. In 2018-2019 we used 1054 m3 which converts to approx 11,804 kWh. Our tariff was 3.359p/kWh which means we spent £396 approx on gas. Our current tariff is 2.512p/kWh thus we should be spend about £99 less this year if our consumption remains the same.

In the summer using gas for hot water and cooking we use about 2.5 m3 a week.

I would be absolutely delighted if we used only 450 - 500 ft3 a year. At our current tariff we would be spending about £4 a year on gas (500 ft3 = approx 14.2 m3 x 11.2 to covert to kWh = 160 kWh x .02512 = £4.109). If you are actually using 500 m3 your bill would still only be £142 a year.

Considering the average gas consumption for a UK house is 12,000 kWh per annun (using the official conversion of 11.2 kWh/kWh that is 1071 m3)I would say that my figure of 11,804 for last year looks spot on. You need to re-look at your figures which are obviously way out and re post the correct ones.

I think your plumber may have been a bit disingenuous in his comment about heat going upstairs. Of course it will do that, but the essential thing is that it doesn't leak out through the walls or the roof. Many years ago I doubled the insulation in most of our loft. I have no proof of how much difference that made, but the loft can be pretty cold in winter and hot in summer, while the house remains at a comfortable temperature.

When we bought the property it had about 2" of ancient loft insulation thus there was plenty of lost heat. The cavity walls had been insulated in the early 1970's but what use that is now is debatable. The pipework for the existing heating system ran beneath the timber floor with virtually no insulation. The new loft conversion meets the current building regs for insulation and its noticeably warmer upstairs than it is downstairs, need to get the cavities checked one day. The loft insulation is now 6" thick. The new heating pipework is mostly located within the internal walls with little pipework under the floors and what there is has modern insulation. In reality the upstairs radiators only really work first thing in the morning, the thermostatic valves soon close down as the heat is not lost and some is gained from pipework between the floors/ceiling.

Plumbing. - Andrew-T

I didn't think any domestic gas meters read in cubic metres, but before my earlier post I checked my meter, which clearly states 'ft3' in large letters. So I stand by my remarks, and as a long-time trained scientist I always check my units. I don't believe any domestic installation could consume that number of cubic METRES of gas without catching fire or exploding ... :-)

Plumbing. - Andrew-T

Having examined the meter more carefully, I find that the display suggests that there should be two zeroes added :-)) making the annual consumption about 45-50,000 ft3. So apologies for that - but it's still a reasonably low consumption.

Plumbing. - thunderbird

I didn't think any domestic gas meters read in cubic metres, but before my earlier post I checked my meter, which clearly states 'ft3' in large letters. So I stand by my remarks, and as a long-time trained scientist I always check my units. I don't believe any domestic installation could consume that number of cubic METRES of gas without catching fire or exploding ... :-)

All modern domestic meters read in m3. Working as a property surveyor until I retired I can only remember seeing one gas meter in recent years that read in ft3 and that one was in a 1970's property that had clearly never been renovated since being built.

So yours may well be reading ft3 but you cannot possibly be using only 500 ft3 a year.

I stand by may calculations that 500 ft3 would be costing you about £4 a year.

Long time trained scientist or not you really need to check your facts.

Here is a link to gas usage converter. www.energylinx.co.uk/gas_meter_conversion_meters.h...l

I put in our assuage of 1050 m3 and it converted it to about 12,000 kWh which is approx what I said above.

But I personally believe you are reading the meter incorrectly taking into consideration a ft3 meter will probably be using the old style clock wheels. 45,000 ft3 is equal to approx 1275 m3. Looks to me you have the decimal point in the wrong place.

Further to my above assumption your summer consumption would be 100 ft3 a week which is 2.8 m3 and very close to our 2.5 m3 a week summer consumption.

Your 45,000 - 50,000 ft3 consumption would be a bit higher than our current consumption but lower than that of our old house thus I think its a simple matter of decimal points.

Having examined the meter more carefully, I find that the display suggests that there should be two zeroes added :-)) making the annual consumption about 45-50,000 ft3. So apologies for that - but it's still a reasonably low consumption.

Seems you beat me too it. Sorted now.

Edited by thunderbird on 16/01/2020 at 17:18

Plumbing. - Andrew-T

<< All modern domestic meters read in m3. Working as a property surveyor until I retired I can only remember seeing one gas meter in recent years that read in ft3 and that one was in a 1970's property that had clearly never been renovated since being built. >>

T-bird, thanks for putting me straight on this. I must admit to wondering how we could use only 1 ft3/week in the summer. :-)

But although our place was first built in 1970 and extended about 1980, the meter itself dates from 1989. No idea why it would have been changed then, as the combi boiler went in ten years after that, the only serious alteration I can trace.

I'm the original poster (again)

As mentioned, the property is a bungalow, so everything is on same storey. Why can't the direction of flow be reversed, (change pipe connections) so that the adjacent sink would be first, not last, on the hot water journey ?

Does the main pipe get smaller as it gets to its last branch on the existing layout? If so, you may find the pressure drop when reversing the flow direction to be rather high, possibly starving outlets at the new end of the system if the outlet(s) nearer to the boiler are in use.

If not, then I don't see why not, unless my brain has gone to sleep (I am in need of food, so it could've).

Does the main pipe get smaller as it gets to its last branch on the existing layout? If so, you may find the pressure drop when reversing the flow direction to be rather high, possibly starving outlets at the new end of the system if the outlet(s) nearer to the boiler are in use.

If not, then I don't see why not, unless my brain has gone to sleep (I am in need of food, so it could've).

Good point Engineer Andy. Will check. Thank you.

Plumbing. - concrete

The plumber should not have connected the 15mm hot water outlet from the Combi into a larger 22mm pipe. This is so inefficient and very bad practice. He should run the outlet to a part of the system where the connection is all 15mm and it provides a good supply to all hot water taps and outlets. That should not be too difficult to determine. I could do it in 10 minutes. Sounds like you need to recall this 'plumber'. He may be a plumber on his mothers side!!!

As for gas consumption, a Combi is generally rated above 90% efficiency for fuel burning. This alongside no hot water storage should be very efficient. Like everything else in this world the human factor counts. The Combi boiler is fairly fool proof, until you get a clever fool. They are factory set and need little or no burner maintenance. They are electronically controlled and operated once powered up. Only the odd clean out needed. Modern flue fans do not need regular lubrication any longer either. Pretty fool proof. It all depends on the installer for the rest of it. Give a good car to a bad mechanic etc etc.!!!!!

Cheers Concrete

Plumbing. - Andrew-T

<< The Combi boiler is fairly fool proof, ... They are factory set and need little or no burner maintenance. They are electronically controlled and operated once powered up. Only the odd clean out needed. Modern flue fans do not need regular lubrication any longer either. >>

At 15 years old our Combi developed a strange fault causing a steady drip of hot water from the external overflow, which raised our water consumption by about 50%. The cause turned out to be an internal leak in the heat exchanger. Not very long afterwards the fan started acting up and needed replacement. Otherwise - now 20 years old - it seems to be 100% reliable.

<< The Combi boiler is fairly fool proof, ... They are factory set and need little or no burner maintenance. They are electronically controlled and operated once powered up. Only the odd clean out needed. Modern flue fans do not need regular lubrication any longer either. >>

At 15 years old our Combi developed a strange fault causing a steady drip of hot water from the external overflow, which raised our water consumption by about 50%. The cause turned out to be an internal leak in the heat exchanger. Not very long afterwards the fan started acting up and needed replacement. Otherwise - now 20 years old - it seems to be 100% reliable.

The industry norm allowed for the expected life of a reasonably decent combi boiler is about 15 years.

Plumbing. - RichardW

It's not the direction of flow, it's the fact that the pipe is not there! The water is not going in the wrong direction, it's simply going on the country Sunday afternoon diversion route to where the old tank was and back again. If you want to get there faster you will need to build a bypass - i.e. a new pipe direct from the boiler to the pipe under the sink. Like I said - how easy this is will be depends on how much of the countryside (i.e. the Kitchen!) has to be dismantled to get there! If it's not too hard, then it would probably be better to connect the boiler to the pipework to this tap, and then cap off the current outlet from the boiler so that all water goes this way, it will probably be better for other taps as well. There is no worry on pipe size on a mains pressure combi boiler - the pressure drop down a 15mm pipe is naf all compared to the mains pressure.

It depends on what the local mains pressure is and if you have a large DWH load. Don't forget that the legal minimum for mains pressure is only 1bar at the meter (some areas have very low pressure as its easier and cheaper for the water company to reduce mains pressures to the legal minimum than to repair leaks in pipes), and an older home may well have a long pipework system to go to and from a HW cylinder with lots of bends and whose pipes have been there for decades, reducing in effective bore due to scaling, etc.

Additionally, if the home has a bath instead of a shower and/or (like mine) a hot fill washing machine, the DHW load is quite a bit higher than a very modern set-up. As such, all the above can have a large impact under the 'right' circumstances on the pressure drop. Not helped if a shower is a modern 'drench' unit requiring significant flow and pressure (over a standard unit) to work properly.

I'm not saying definitively this is the case here, but without all the details, we can't be certain either way.

Plumbing. - thunderbird

As mentioned, the property is a bungalow, so everything is on same storey. Why can't the direction of flow be reversed, (change pipe connections) so that the adjacent sink would be first, not last, on the hot water journey ?

Starting with a blank sheet of paper any plumber worthy of his job title would design a system that uses the minimum of materials with the absolute minimum of tight bends. But in a property that already exists with an existing system its not always as simple as that. The amount of disturbance could be undesirable for starters plus the time element involved could result in a plumber that does the design correctly pricing himself out of work.

But that does not excuse any plumber doing what yours appears to have done. Utilising existing pipework that creates undesirably long runs and delays is very bad practice.

The UK Water regulations demand that water at a temp of 50 C must reach any outlet within 30 seconds with a max pipe run of 12 meters. That is not always possible of course. As I mentioned above at our last house it took ages to get hot water to our kitchen taps, because the sink was in an extension and due to location of the HW cylinder above what was at the time a coal boiler the total pipe run was 20 meters but along the way it passed through the upstairs bathroom and downstairs WC thus it did make a little sense. If the most direct route had been use multiple runs would have been required and it would still have been 14 meters to the sink at the very minimum. To reduce this a total redesign of the house would have been required. That is the problem starting with a 1920's property that had few mod cons in mind when built.

In the OP's case I would be concerned about using existing pipework when a simpler solution seems possible and if the plumber has carried out a shortcut here what other shortcuts has he made. A call to Gas Safe with a request for an inspection gassaferegister.co.uk/help-and-advice/gas-safety-i.../ would be a good idea but do consider that they are unlikely to be concerned about the hot water issue. That needs to be addressed by the installer.

Edited by thunderbird on 17/01/2020 at 16:21

Plumbing. - thunderbird

Just spotted Concretes new post above where he says

The plumber should not have connected the 15mm hot water outlet from the Combi into a larger 22mm pipe.

I have read all the OP's posts again and simply cannot find where he has said that the plumber has done this. However I have spotted that the OP says in the original post

But the hot water is pumped round the rest of the system before arriving at the sink

and this is obviously not correct. The domestic hot water from the Combi Boiler is not pumped, it is simply a gravity flow.

Andrew T said above

But although our place was first built in 1970 and extended about 1980, the meter itself dates from 1989. No idea why it would have been changed then, as the combi boiler went in ten years after that, the only serious alteration I can trace.

At our old house we had gas installed in 1997 when we swapped from solid fuel heating to gas. The meter was swapped once between that date and 2017 when we sold the house simply because it was the policy of the transporter to swap them, never complained, nothing unusual with the readings.

Plumbing. - Andrew-T

<< The domestic hot water from the Combi Boiler is not pumped, it is simply a gravity flow. >>

I guess it is more accurate to say that it uses mains pressure, which is usually rather more than the 'gravity' provided by the header tank in a conventional system. Our mains pressure varies, but is usually quite high, so if hottish water is called for, it's no use opening the tap fully, the boiler can't keep up.

I'm wondering whether the combi is struggling because they normally need a reasonable flow rate for the DHW heat exchanger's sensor to realise there's a demand. I had to adapt my usage on my new one when changing from a Powermax thermal store boiler when I could get really low flows of DHW - not on my combi.

That plus a decent pressure drop on the DHW system as a whole compared to before and only a low head to begin with on a gravity-fed system? I'm surprised that the plumber didn't advise connecting the DHW cold feed directly to the mains cold water incommer to take advantage of the extra pressure, especially in a bunglow.

Plumbing. - Bromptonaut

This thread explains why a lot of houses round here have the combi boiler where the airing cupboard was.

Plumbing. - sammy1

Interesting thread. Our Ravenheat combi is now 25 and a bit like Triggers broom over the years, gas valve,. couple of diverter valves. The central heating is of course sealed and it is the diverter valve that switches when the hot tap is opened. In winter when the mains feed is quite a bit colder than summer I always reduce the flow at the hot tap which gives hot water a lot quicker.

Plumbing. - thunderbird

I guess it is more accurate to say that it uses mains pressure, which is usually rather more than the 'gravity' provided by the header tank in a conventional system. Our mains pressure varies, but is usually quite high,

Quite correct.

But the usually bit is rather important. At our old house upstairs the flow from the hot taps (fed by about a 6' head from the storage tank in the loft) was actually greater than the flow from the cold tap. Downstairs it was about the same. The downstairs loo could be quite embarrassing when we had visitors since it took a good 10 minutes to fill even with the correct bits in the tank for the low pressure.

We wanted to fit an electric shower but when we checked with Severn Trent they told us one would never work. Eventually they upgraded the mains and the pressure improved and we actually fitted an electric shower which worked on most days. But on a bad day it still no worky and there was nothing that could be done.

At the current property the pressure is quite a bit better but still not as good as in other parts of town. Had it checked before we bought just to ensure we were OK this time and there is adequate for all domestic needs but we were told that the properties at the top of the hill (we are about 1/2 way up it) do have bad days. Sound a bit like the old property. But at least the loos fill quickly probably helped by the fact they only hold about 1/2 the water.

Bought an electric shower for this property but never actually fitted it. We found that the combi supplies a perfect flow with a controllable temp from a mixer so why complicate things. The cost of gas for a shower is a fraction of electricity for a 10kw shower. Only issue could be the day the combi no worky. With no shower (or bath) we would simply have to stink.

Yep - a lack of decent mains pressure to service newer boiler systems and outlets that require higher heads to get full flow are a real problem, especially for those people living near the tops of hills in populous areas.

I live in a 3-storey flat block, all on mains pressure with individual rising MCWS pipes for each flat. Fine for me on the Ground Floor (I get 2 bar minimum, mostly 3 bar+), not so good for those on the top floor if the local water company follows others (e.g. Thames Water) in saving money by reducing pressures to 1 bar to reduce leaks in their system.

By the time the water gets to the top floor, it'll have lost about 0.6 - 0.7 bar in pressure, possibly not enough to run some modern combis (mine requires a minimum of 0.35 bar for DHW handling). That would still leave precious little for the outlets, especially showers, which in our flats' case is the last outlet on the system and thus most susceptible to starvation.

Many new build (since the mid 90s at least) developers and builders deliberately save themselves a fortune by not allowing for this sort of eventuality - at least older buildings and homes have roof/loft-space tanks or space for them. On more than one occasion I had to specify a domestic cold water booster pump and little tank - about the size of a washing machine, to be able to serve a converted town house (to individual flats) off the mains in areas where mains pressures get near 1 bar and/or are being reduced for the reasons I spoke of earlier.

Some homes don't even have the space to accommodate them, so whole blocks may have to bite an extortionately expensive bullet and have a communal underground water booster and break tank installed for the site. Last time I costed that (just for a new build for buying, not installing) in the mid 2000s, it came to £50k for a unit serving 50 flats. And that's assuming you have the space to install one. The installation cost would be huge.

PS. When my old boiler broke, and also when my new one (only fitted in October) broke down twice in 2 months (two faulty gas valves), I had the same issue as regards personal use of hot water (I have an emergency 3kW fan convector for heating - blimmin' expensive to run!). My temporary solution for keeping me clean and getting some decent exercise was going swimming, and getting in a decent shower (for free) whilst there.

Plumbing. - Andrew-T

<< At the current property the pressure is quite a bit better but still not as good as in other parts of town. >>

My last (part-time) job before retiring was with the Leakage section of NW Water (United Utilities). I think water companies keep mains pressures as low as remains satisfactory, to keep leakage losses down. Those losses can be pretty staggering especially from elderly street mains.

How do things operate in 12-storey or higher buildings?

Edited by Andrew-T on 18/01/2020 at 18:29

<< At the current property the pressure is quite a bit better but still not as good as in other parts of town. >>

My last (part-time) job before retiring was with the Leakage section of NW Water (United Utilities). I think water companies keep mains pressures as low as remains satisfactory, to keep leakage losses down. Those losses can be pretty staggering especially from elderly street mains.

How do things operate in 12-storey or higher buildings?

The use a break tank and a booster pump set, and sometimes for taller buildings, one for the bottom 10-15 floors, and then another to boost up again to the next 10-15 situated on floor 12 (say), and so on. No actual storage at the roof/top floor. Some variants have just mains to the Basement, Ground and First floors, then boosted above.

Very expensive to buy and install, but the tanks do last a long time, and the pumps get replaced every 15-20 years. Difficult to retrofit in older buildings - a lack of space for the tanks (because they need to be at GF/Basement level) and newer rising pipework (the old has to remain until the switchover), never mind many old buildings are full of asbestos.

The old way was to have a smaller break tank and lower duty pump set, in order just to pump the water up to a great big honking storage tank or two above the top floor/on the roof. Then it acts just like a domestic system - people just one floor below get poor pressure, those nearer the Ground Floor far better.

I had to contend with the above situation for a residential block of flats in North London. An absolute pig of a project.

Plumbing. - concrete

Well thunderbird it may be the case that the pressure difference is as you eloquently put it 'naff all'. I disagree and maintain the pressure drop is significant enough to cause delivery problems on a long pipe run. Beside any of this it is extremely bad practice to connect a 15mm supply to a 22mm pipe. I said this because the OP gave the impression that the the Combi replaced a conventional system. In which case the hot and cold water storage tanks will have been removed. If the plumber decided to reconnect to the hot water system at this point there will have invariably been a 22mm HW supply leaving the HW storage cupboard. My point is he should have made the connection elsewhere to increase efficiency and conform to good practice, or cut back the 22mm until he found 15mm pipe. As you say don't take a county hike, take the direct route. It is difficult to fully imagine the layout of the OP's bungalow and be precise about how the pipework should run, however good practice should be followed at all times IMHO. Cheers Concrete

PS. to another post. Hot water from a Combi is not pumped, but nor is it gravity fed. It relies entirely on mains pressure.

Plumbing. - thunderbird

Well thunderbird it may be the case that the pressure difference is as you eloquently put it 'naff all'. I disagree and maintain the pressure drop is significant enough to cause delivery problems on a long pipe run. Beside any of this it is extremely bad practice to connect a 15mm supply to a 22mm pipe. I said this because the OP gave the impression that the the Combi replaced a conventional system. In which case the hot and cold water storage tanks will have been removed. If the plumber decided to reconnect to the hot water system at this point there will have invariably been a 22mm HW supply leaving the HW storage cupboard. My point is he should have made the connection elsewhere to increase efficiency and conform to good practice, or cut back the 22mm until he found 15mm pipe. As you say don't take a county hike, take the direct route. It is difficult to fully imagine the layout of the OP's bungalow and be precise about how the pipework should run, however good practice should be followed at all times IMHO. Cheers Concrete

Checked and I never used the term "naff all". Plus I agree you should never step up a pipe size

PS. to another post. Hot water from a Combi is not pumped, but nor is it gravity fed. It relies entirely on mains pressure.

I said several posts ago that I was incorrect using the term gravity when I should have said mains pressure.

Think you are a bit behind.

Plumbing. - Andrew-T

... it may be the case that the pressure difference is as you eloquently put it 'naff all'. I disagree and maintain the pressure drop is significant enough to cause delivery problems on a long pipe run.

One important thing to avoid is angle corners instead of more gradual bends. I learnt this as a graduate student doing gas kinetics in a glass vacuum system, so the effect will be much worse with liquids.

It was brought home to me a few years ago when our new neighbour was building an extension which required our water supply main to be rerouted. The builders used an elbow to get round the corner of the foundation, and the effect on our water pressure was immediately obvious. I got them to simply curve the pipe, and things were back to normal.

Plumbing. - thunderbird

One important thing to avoid is angle corners instead of more gradual bends. I learnt this as a graduate student doing gas kinetics in a glass vacuum system, so the effect will be much worse with liquids

I hinted at that a few posts ago

"Starting with a blank sheet of paper any plumber worthy of his job title would design a system that uses the minimum of materials with the absolute minimum of tight bends."

but you probably have made it clearer.

Plumbing. - Andrew-T

<< Starting with a blank sheet of paper any plumber worthy of his job title would design a system that uses the minimum of materials with the absolute minimum of tight bends . >>

And elbows make a lot of extra noise too ...

Plumbing. - concrete

One important thing to avoid is angle corners instead of more gradual bends. I learnt this as a graduate student doing gas kinetics in a glass vacuum system, so the effect will be much worse with liquids

I hinted at that a few posts ago

"Starting with a blank sheet of paper any plumber worthy of his job title would design a system that uses the minimum of materials with the absolute minimum of tight bends."

but you probably have made it clearer.

I agree about system design. If possible the least amount of bends necessary and those that are there should be gradual bends, preferably pulled via a bending machine or spring. It seems logical to me. In the dim and distant past when pumps were not that efficient the system design could be crucial. Indeed a lot of early systems relied on gravity to circulate water so design and pipe runs were important. However nowadays I am told by well qualified system designers that modern pumps are very efficient and in an enclosed pressurise system will overcome resistance very well. I suppose small bore and micro bore systems were driven by this advance in technology.

I apologise if you did not write 'naff all'. I does convey the meaning instantly though! It seems we are in accord when it comes to good design and practice.

Cheers Concrete

Plumbing. - Andrew-T

<< However nowadays I am told by well qualified system designers that modern pumps are very efficient and in an enclosed pressurise system will overcome resistance very well. I suppose small bore and micro bore systems were driven by this advance in technology. >>

No doubt advances have been made. But I don't like to think of the noise which a pump might create with an elbow-fitted system ....

Plumbing. - concrete

<< However nowadays I am told by well qualified system designers that modern pumps are very efficient and in an enclosed pressurise system will overcome resistance very well. I suppose small bore and micro bore systems were driven by this advance in technology. >>

No doubt advances have been made. But Idon't like to think of the noise which a pump might create with an elbow-fitted system ....

Quite right. That was always a consideration with micro bore heating pipework. The pressure at the manifold could cause vibration. Also if the pump was close to elbows and usually a diverter valve, as in a cylinder cupboard, the flow rate could cause cavitation and cause free air in the system. This is where the installer has to use his experience to minimise the risk of such problems occurring. As is often stated here, the man with the tools is a very important person. The vast majority of problems with heating systems are results of poor practice and design. Cheers Concrete