n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - FP

I note the following at the bottom of the Home page:

"The affairs, assets and business of the Company are being managed by Miles Needham and Simon Carvill-Biggs who were appointed Joint Administrators on 7 January 2020.

The Joint Administrators act as agents of the Company and without personal liability."

The Companies House website confirms that HONESTJOHN.CO.UK LIMITED appointed an administrator yesterday (13th Jan. 2020).

Anyone care to comment?

Edited by FP on 14/01/2020 at 15:03

I posted the above over two and a half hours ago and I'm surprised no-one has commented.

Do people realise that this site may be closed - presumably permanently, and possibly very soon - unless a solution is found to whatever financial problems it has?

Perhaps the title to the thread should have been more provocative.

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - No_FM2R

I hope the site does not close.

HJ started all this more than 20 years ago. A time when forums and commercial websites were not a common thing.

The original forum software was written from scratch according to the best guesses from a small group of people. Stephen, Martyn, Peter, Dave, Alan and more. The idea of moderation, rules, enforcement, and so much more was done the first time here. And often lessons were learned the hard way.

The idea of a commercial website offering deals to readers and becoming the "go to place" for deals, reviews, information and advice" was entirely HJ's idea, though he was told it wouldn't work a few times.

He actually managed to see his way clear to making money from a website. Seems obvious now, it most certainly was not then.

Everything from his databases, the offers, the reviews and the advice, the goals and ambitions, all came from HJ, though contributed to by many others along the way.

The Backroom became and remains a force due entirely to the efforts of it's contributors. Sometimes I think it's significance and relevance is missed.

I am no longer part of it, times change. But I do remember it fondly. And word of this potential change was worth the trip back.

I hope this is the sign of a structured exit for HJ and that the site and the Backroom will continue under other ownership and/or management. It is a tremendous resource.

If it doesn't, then suffice to say;

"Thank you, Peter, it was emotional".

[actually it was exciting]

Mark (Brasil)
Mark (RLBS)
No FM2R

Edited by No_FM2R on 14/01/2020 at 18:35

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - knowwun

Gosh, can't remember when I first went onto the back room, must have been around 2001 as Renault_family I guess? be a shame if this disappears after 20 years

Edited by knowwun on 14/01/2020 at 19:44

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - Andrew-T

Gosh, can't remember when I first went onto the back room, must have been around 2001 as Renault_family I guess? be a shame if this disappears after 20 years

I am in a similar position - I think I started some time around 2004. I spend most time in the Back Room, in Motoring or Technical, with occasional visits to car reviews. Compared to other more marque-related forums, HJ's main scoring point is that something new appears every day, not just every other week.

Other sites suffer problems - Wikipedia asks for donations to keep the wolf from the door, but RootsChat (which I also visit) seems to keep its head above water, tho recently ads there seem to have become more in-yer-face, intruding into the middle of individual posts. All symptoms of the same problem I guess.

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - hermit

There was nothing new about moderation, rules or enforcement. They had all been used since the days of dialup BBS and Usenet and simply adopted for forums.

Although it's a (very) long time since I've posted here in The Backroom I would be sorry to see the site go.

>>There was nothing new about moderation, rules or enforcement. They had all been used since the days of dialup BBS and Usenet and simply adopted for forums.

Different audience, different software, different attitudes, different goals etc. etc.

But sure, if it matters that much to you after all this time, it was all done before.

Except it wasn't. And I did both.

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - hermit

But sure, if it matters that much to you after all this time, it was all done before.

Except it wasn't. And I did both.

Wrong.

Todays forums are just Usenet/BBS functionality with a different delivery mechanism and fancier user interface.

It may have been completely new to you, but threaded (and moderated) internet discussion groups pre-date HJ by about 20 years.

Edited by hermit on 15/01/2020 at 20:40

Wrong

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - No Do$h

Well blimey, I leave you lot alone for a decade or so* and look what you've done with the place.

Just you wait until your father gets home. Now go and tidy your forum!

(*September 2005 to be precise. I never did buy that Maserati; I bought an XK-R 5.0 instead )

Edited by No Do$h on 15/01/2020 at 17:54

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - Avant

How nice to hear from you again, Alan. I seem to remember a newish Alfa that kept ending up on a trailer! I also remember you as a very civilised moderator: I've tried to follow the same path.

We've kept going pretty well for almost exactly 10 years after the parting of the ways: as per the comments from the administrators, we're hopeful that we can carry on.

Edited by Avant on 15/01/2020 at 22:02

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - No Do$h

If memory serves I was an acerbic little Pink Fluffy Dice, but had my civil moments.

Yes, the Alfa lived up to the reputation. Since then I've had a couple of Discoveries, a 2010 XK-R 5.0s/c, a Mini Cooper S and now a 2019 Merc C300 coupe. Meanwhile Mrs Dosh has had an L200, a couple of Defenders, a Freelander, a Disco and now a 2018 XC60. We also have an old Freelander commercial that we use for muddy dogs, livestock trailer etc.

Anyway, enough of that!

Wanted to say good luck with the forum and hope to see it around for many years to come.

Perhaps the title to the thread should have been more provocative.

I thought people didn't like provocative type folks on here?

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - Lygonos

Been mostly elsewhere for the past decade.

Still got my review of our FRV on the site I see!

Nearly 10 years later and over 130k miles it's still going strong.

Rear subframe is a rusty mess though...

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/owner-reviews/honda/fr-v-2004/?review=534

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - Chris M

I posted in Discussion a couple of hours ago and it hasn't generated the interest I thought it would.

If this sites' situation is terminal, it's good to see a few old acquaintances turn up at the hospice to say farewell.

Edited by Chris M on 14/01/2020 at 21:57

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - Zippy123

I have been using this site for many years and will miss it and sincerely hope it can be saved.

It must be hard for HJ and the team that contribute to the articles and reviews, as well as the tech people behind the scenes as well.

Administrations can work and companies can survive.

Sad times indeed and best wishes for the future!

In view of this and of the other thread (under Motoring), which now seem to have generated quite a bit of interest, could someone official - HJ himself, or Avant as moderator - please make some kind of statement about what the position is?

Are we in fact looking at the closure of this site (which would be lamented by many, as is obvious from the comments) or is it likely that it could continue in some way, maybe under different ownership/management?

I can understand that times change and there may now be less revenue from advertising, but I would imagine that the costs of maintaining the Back Room part are minimal. For the website as a whole I have no idea. More likely there is some kind of restructuring of the whole of the HJ enterprise, I would guess.

Some information for the members who loyally support the BR would be welcome.

Edited by FP on 15/01/2020 at 09:49

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - Brit_in_Germany

I would expect that the act of going into insolvency proceedings prevents the previous administration making any public statement without the approval of the new adminstrators.

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - Engineer Andy

Some of the problems with the site in general, which I mentioned both to HJ, on the Backroom and on the 'feedback' that Mark asked for last year via the YouTube channel, which likely contributed to it going into administration, at least in my view, are:

The lack of progress of the YouTube channel in attracting new subscribers adn thus spreading the word to bring in my people to the main website. Many independent YT content creators in the motoring field have made really great strides in making both entertaining AND factually useful content to help their website and businesses, but HJ's channel has stayed where it has been for the last few years, and Mark himself said they weren't prepared to change tack.

Whilst I can appreciate them not wanting to 'sell out' and go mainstream like the UK car mags, I think there was, and maybe still is an opportunity to salvage this and do something similar to the independent content creators, e.g. Savagegeese, TheStraightPipes, John Cadogan, even carwow. That does mean they would need someone both charismatic and very knowledgable about the industry/technical side (or maybe one of each).

Because HJ's website more than matches the database of information held by 'mainstream' rivals such as the car mags or Parker's (boo!), it does need a good few staff in order to maintain and update that information, and obviously to collate and present car reviews, news, etc. No way can these people all be volunteers like Avant.

As such, I suspect a lack of advert revenue from both the main website and from YouTube (whose recent changes to their 'algorithm' have sidelined exposure for smaller, independent content creators in favour of the mainstream big boys because they [wrongly] deem it 'authoritative') mean that they cannot sustain the current model of ownership unless things change on the income front. It might be also that HJ himself is looking to offload the site as part of him retiring (just a guess).

The ad revenue problem was also one I raised a while ago in the same manner as the first major issue. My contention was that what ads were on the site were very memory hungry, plastered all over the pages and often caused my tablet to crash.

Whilst my (far more powerful) desktop PC copes much better, the ads in my view were still far too intrusive, and thus because other websites were doing the same, e.g. The telegraph, I decided it was time for me to stop this issue permanently and install ad-blocker ad-ons to my browser. They also stop dodgy pop-ups and cookie tracking, given we don't always know what every website does with our data.

Unfortunately the big side effect is that 99% of ads on the (otherwise decent) websites are gone and thus they will make no money from me from paid ads. I suspect other members have reluctantly done the same and the advertisers have cottoned onto this, and either not returned or scaled down their spend.

I think we now face two choices, other than the site closing:

1. The owners succumb to the mainstream, full ad spread with no access for people with ad blockers (as Parkers now does) and go full-on shill media, like many of the car mags (IMHO) have done. This may have to include a paid-for subscription element, but intially would not be as much as option 2.

The problem is that this will likely lose all respect from us supporters because they would have lost their independence, and because they would be a small player, they'd likely go under rapidly unless they were really lucky. This is why I suggested looking at how YouTubers did things.

2. Go the full-on subscription route, perhaps with some ads, but ones that are far less intrusive and computer resources-hungry than before. The problem with this is many people, especially younger people, have gotten used to 99% of their content being free online, including using 'alternative' sites to download or get around paid-for subscription content for free.

This has lead to many legit websites providing paid-for content (by subscription) to lose a serious amount of business. Even mainstream newspapers like the Telegraph are now starting to struggle to keep subscribers and to keep ahead of software work-arounds that mean people can still read content for free without restriction via the paywall. Of course, it doesn't help when newspapers have succumbed to the woke agendas of activism and/or provide shill articles for firms, organisations and even governments/political organisings paying for adverts.

I suspect if a serious discussion was started here about the actual costs of this website and what that would likely lead to as regards how much we'd have to pay to subscribe to keep it going, many younger members would up sticks and never return - there's no loyalty if even a small sum of money annually is asked for. Unfortunately its a cultural thing these days.

That this website/business is small to start with and doesn't get much traction/publicity generally is why it will hard whatever route is chosen (if one can be found) to save the business. That is why I suggested before the YT (or similar)/social media route was key, though not, in my view, using the likes of twitter or facebook, neither of which are, in my view, conducive to good discourse, being useful in being a source of information and are some of the worst in terms of abusing personal information.

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - misar

Not really a problem with continuing the forum if HJ does fold because a "backup" already exists and was discussed on here recently

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/133807/has-the-oth...r-

It was created about 10 years ago by the developer of HJ's original website when HJ changed developer and the new forum was unusable for a while. The alternative was supposed to be a temporary home for the HJ refugees but it is still going.

However, I come here for much more than the forum and would really miss the main website. In my view HJ is more interesting than any of the other UK motoring websites, including those run by the major magazines. The financial problem is not retaining today's website as a sort of archive but providing the daily new content which is essential to keep visitors coming. That is very expensive, especially with regular road tests of the present standard. It is hard to see how another company could make it pay any better or how a group of enthusiasts could keep up the standard on a voluntary basis.

I watched one of Mark's YT video reviews last night and they are not to my taste. If HJ hoped they would support the main website he has gone in the wrong direction.

I think that one other wissue that has mainly affected smaller firms/website with less reources at their disposal is the inexorable rise of spam posting and deliberate trolling - newspaper websites probably spend a small fortune in stopping both, often either not doing so or going too far (stopping genuine debate and criticism).

I've personally seen previously decent websites/forums go down the tubes rapidly if such problems cannot be controlled, because 'normie' (often casual) members get turned off from both such issues if they become prevalent. Some websites also become susceptible to hacking and thus private data of members gets out in the open.

Not saying this has or will happen here, but that HJ may have had to spend a decent amount of money on IT security won't help his bottom line.

I agree with your view on the YT channel - whilst I watch some videos, they aren't to my taste compared with others on the same platform, hence my suggestion before. I agree with the sentiment that viewer ratings (number of people watching) aren't everything, but having higher viewership would make a big difference to revenue and attract more people to the site in general. Those other channels I mentioned get far better traction, and often its just getting above a certain level of interest/subs gets a big boost in overall interest and thus ad revenue.

'Not really a problem with continuing the forum if HJ does fold because a "backup" already exists and was discussed on here recently'

I think a fair number of those who know anything about "the other place" would find it hard to see it as a back-up to the BR. Though it was originally formed from migrants from the BR (and was explicitly an alternative to it when set up), it became dominated by the Non-motoring section, which in turn became a forum for some pretty vicious posts, particularly about Brexit, following the referendum.

It never carried over the extensive discussion of car details and supply of information, from Ford radio unlock codes to Peugeot 306 wiper problems, that continues to occupy the BR. Our legal section here is relatively busy too.

Unless anyone imagines that all the BR members, if they switched to C4P, would radically alter its priorities, I can't see it as alternative, let alone a back-up.

Edited by FP on 15/01/2020 at 15:55

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - misar

I think a fair number of those who know anything about "the other place" would find it hard to see it as a back-up to the BR.

Leaving aside the uncommon situation of mods who vigorously control content to follow their own agenda, this forum or any other reflects what its users choose to post. Given that users of this forum vastly outnumber the other lot, I see no reason why that one would be much different if most posters from here moved over. More so given that it is the original HJ forum with even the topic areas much the same.

Just turning the clock back 10 years really, although I have no wish to see it happen. As I said before, I read the rest of HJ's excellent website more than this forum.

Sorry - I have been away all day yesterday and this morning, and I haven't been told any more than you have.

The object of an administration is to get a company back on its feet again when it has run into financial difficulties (which I haven't been informed about either, although I do know that advertising revenue is the main source of income). Either a company under administrators (who are chartered accountants) is restructured or (more likely) a buyer of the whole or part of the business is sought.

While the process is going on, a company continues to trade (unlike with a liquidation). So business as usual for the moment.

I have asked HJ for a comment.

Thanks - it would be nice to see what the realities of the situation are, rather than all of us endlessly speculating. Hopefully some good ideas can arise from this process that will contribute to the business staying afloat and prospering in the future, especially as so many other websites and forums across many fields and passtimes have struggled and gone to the wall in the last few years.

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - Chris M

Avant,

Would it be possible to combine this thread with the one I started on Motoring Discussion?

I only posted there because General Discussion doesn't get the footfall of Motoring Discussion or Technical. Not bothered where they go but seems silly to have both running.

Edited by Chris M on 15/01/2020 at 13:02

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - concrete

I hope the situation has a remedy. This forum is quite unique in many ways. I think it was mid 2000's when I first found it. Can't remember why or why I first posted, but since then I have been fairly regularly reading and posting on the forum. To state the obvious we all agree that the level of experience and technical advice related through the forum is excellent. It would certainly be a pity if it were diminished or disappeared. As Avant points out, administration is simply that for now. I have worked for companies who went through administration and came out the other end(not unknown in construction!!) and hope for a good outcome. As we also know income is the lifeblood of any company, this is no different. If costs cannot be met then a solution needs to be found. Let us watch this space. Cheers Concrete

Many thanks for all the supportive posts. I've spoken to Dan Powell, our Managing Editor, and he has sent me an Email with some answers to FAQs provided by the administrators, which we hope will be helpful. He's promised to let me know as and when there is more news, but very much joins me in emphasising that it's business as usual.

Has Honest John closed down?

No, the business has not closed down and it is continuing to operate as normal.

But hasn’t the business gone into administration?

Yes, the business did go into administration at the beginning of January but this does not mean it has closed down. The Joint Administrators are marketing the business for sale and while the sale process takes place it is business as usual. Honest John is a fantastic business and we’re confident a buyer can be found. The sale process will be ongoing throughout January so we’ll be in a better position to provide an update on the next steps at the end of the month.

Why did the business go into administration?

We understand the business had faced significant cash flow difficulties, which led it to enter administration, but the administrators will release further details in their reports in due course.

Does this mean it is not a sound investment opportunity?

No, while the business had faced some cash flow difficulties this was not a result of business performance and we believe it is still a great investment opportunity. Honest John is a trusted source of information for consumers wishing to purchase a new car and it has a loyal customer base – for example, it attracts more than 20 million users a year, has more than 400,000 registered readers and more than 70,000 newsletter subscribers.

Does anyone want to make an offer? Maybe a crowd funding opportunity?

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - focussed

I was going to suggest that the Daily Telegraph might be interested, but then I remembered that it's up for sale............:-)

I was going to suggest that the Daily Telegraph might be interested, but then I remembered that it's up for sale............:-)

Besides, they shafted HJ (IMHO) by reducing his collumn and sidelining him more generally in favour of more manufacturer-friendly (again, my opinion) 'reviews' and commentary. Barely anyone now reads the rest of the Motoring section - and those of us who do often get (mildly critical) comments deleted by the DT mdoerators for deigning to call out the shills with evidence.

Newspapers certainly aren't the model that this website should be looking to - The Telegraph actually gets lower viewcounts on their YouTube videos than HJ does, and by some margin too.

I suspect there'll be some buy-out from some up-and-coming motoring journo who may want the existing customer base to help further their career without having to go through the rigmarole of setting up a comprehensive website/review database and spending a lot on publicity to attract punters. If not, why not give James May a call?

Does anyone want to make an offer? Maybe a crowd funding opportunity?

Put money into a failing business model you mean? no unless someone has a valid plan for fixing the problem.

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - concrete

Engineer Andy mentioned the Motoring Section in the Telegraph. I only get the Saturday Telegraph these days( too busy being retired to read newspapers) and the 'section' is barely worthy of the name. 10 to 15 minutes reading. Sometimes not even that if they are reviewing a £90K car I will never buy. HJ's Q&A is the best part and still good, especially the bylines at the top of each question. I would have thought there would be enough of our generation and younger who would be interested in genuine comment and opinion as opposed to the hyperbole in most magazines. Still as long as the forum can keep going I will be happy.

Cheers Concrete

Engineer Andy mentioned the Motoring Section in the Telegraph. I only get the Saturday Telegraph these days( too busy being retired to read newspapers) and the 'section' is barely worthy of the name. 10 to 15 minutes reading. Sometimes not even that if they are reviewing a £90K car I will never buy. HJ's Q&A is the best part and still good, especially the bylines at the top of each question. I would have thought there would be enough of our generation and younger who would be interested in genuine comment and opinion as opposed to the hyperbole in most magazines. Still as long as the forum can keep going I will be happy.

Cheers Concrete

Exactly - the Telegraph Editors appear to believe every Telegraph reader/online subscriber earns well in excess of £100k and only buys cars well over £40k, and then mostly German sports saloons or uber hot hatches. The same goes for their holidays section, never mind the 'fashion' bit I would never venture into.

The occasional days when they bother to review 'ordinary' cars, they trash them for being 'boring' and 'not quick' - I mean are they expecting their trousers to catch fire or have some moment of extasy every time they turn the engine on one of these cars?

This is one of the main reasons I come here - we actually get unbiased reviews of ALL cars, plus we can discuss all issues surrounding motoring, inclduing news items, something that the Telegraph (and many other national newspapers) rarely do or with any degree of accuracy very often.

TBH, I would rather the Telegraph drop most of its 'ancillary' sections of fluff and concentrate on decent reporting of real news and commentary, drop its subscription prices accordingly and HJ's website thrives under a part (small) subscription, part (not over-the-top/intrusive) ad-reveneue model.

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - catsdad
Yes the DT is not what it was but this is the way of most print journalism these days. For example The Sunday Times motoring section is equally biased towards exotica and has shrunk too. Hard copy production no longer generates the same profits and ad revenue it once did so papers shrink.

I still enjoy the DT as a paper and the full online edition has everything that appears in the print edition at a much cheaper price. Full online price is £200 pa. There are often offers for new subs such as £75 Amazon vouchers or, currently, a free Fitbit with a retail price of £199 (or £150 on Amazon). As the marginal additional cost of each sub is virtually zero they can afford these offers in the hope that people will not cancel their full price sub next year.

As for HJ I hope it continues here but traffic volumes have slipped markedly since September according to online monitoring services.

I was one of the first to subscribe to their online service, actually before you needed to pay, and thus get around a 20% discount (it was much more only 2-3 years ago - I only paid £40pa for the website and app) for now just the website only.

Given the hard copy daily paper (which has far less content than online) costs £2 on weekdays and £2.50 on weekends, £80 is excellent value by just comparing the level of content.

Unfortunately its the quality of the content that has taken a serious downturn, mainly after (IMHO) the Barcaly Bros bought it and many of the 'Old Guard' high quality journalists were either let go, expected to work as freelancers or write puff pieces/less proper journalistic articles. Many other newspapers have gone the same way and are equally struggling.

A lot of the cause, and this makes a big difference here on this website, is the rise of (un)social media generally, taking young people's gaze away from traditional forms of media and news (including TV).

It is very noticeable how less and less younger people are willing to expend more than a few moments of their time and make any kind of effort to discuss or read up on issues or gather information (I swa this get worse and worse at work as an engineer over my 18 years as one): if they can't find it via Siri/Alexa or is on page 1 of a Google search, then they can't be asked, and because they don't discuss this sort of thing with their peers, they only drop in here with silly questions after they made a really dumb decision as regards a purchase, etc, often getting angry and defensive at us when we point out the problem and the solution. The same goes with newspaper reader commentary areas - they are now like a virtual school playground with nasty insults and lies thrown around.

As such, as we get older, there is less and less people to fill the gaps from those 'not here' any more. Its also why those outlets currently pandering to the lowest common denominator aren't doing too badly, because the short attention span and need for an excitement high is what the under 35 generation is all about these days.

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - gordonbennet

Among the not so young there's also a growing number who have given up entirely on our mainstream news media, whether printed or broadcast, for a variety of reasons based around they can no longer be trusted or believed and long ago gave up any pretense of impartiality, no more is this the case as with the state broadcaster, the USA has exactly the same problems.

In my case i gave up on the printed press decades ago and the main broadcast media not long after, in fact its now several years since i watched any terrestrial broadcast of any type, i will not be going back, and as for paying for warped biased articles presented as news, not a chance.

Increasingly a car is now a "white goods". There are few really rubbish cars, new cars are "sealed for life don't mess with them" appliances, so few and few people are interested in reading about them. It's a declining audience driven only by image and fashion.

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - oldroverboy.

Increasingly a car is now a "white goods". There are few really rubbish cars, new cars are "sealed for life don't mess with them" appliances, so few and few people are interested in reading about them. It's a declining audience driven only by image and fashion.

Glad to see i was right then...

Sadly. the Weekly HJ replies bit is virtually a rehash of previous weeks...

"My DQ200 gearbox has failed at 3 years and 2 hours and VAG won't fix it" or somesuch.

"My 1.5 tsi is kangarooing down the road"

"My 1.2 TSI has snapped thr cam chain"

and on and on. (other makes are available, usually european.)

I am beiginning to hope that the MG will be my last purchase...

so even reading the agony column is getting less interesting.

This probably happens because people keep asking the same questions! They don't think to look at the Ask HJ section of the site.

Sadly, people just want instant answers and can't be bothered to do any research of their own, even though it's never been easier to do just that. The other influence is social media, where people's desire for instant info is fed by ignorant so-called friends who don't have a clue about anything.

Truth and reality have never been so blurred.

Edited by FP on 17/01/2020 at 11:14

Well, I'm sure if the number of MG sales in the UK gets into double figures, someone will be onto the DT moaning about one.

Well, I'm sure if the number of MG sales in the UK gets into double figures, someone will be onto the DT moaning about one.

My moaning is in the owners reviw section, but MG sorted it... unlike some...1.5tsi... it's charactaristic sir.....Oh you mean you expect the car to last more than 24 hours after the warranty has expired.. Sorry, now buy another one of our heaps of ....

Yes those questions in the column are sadly predictable, why people insist on considering buying cars with gearboxes made of cheese, EGR's stuffed in the most idiotic of places, ill designed Diesels likely to grenade at any moment, and all by makers who wash their hands of the things 5 minutes after their short warranty expires i cannot comprehend.

How does HJ keep himself from telling these convinced-by-advertising buyers to buck their ideas up, smell the coffee and give their hard earned to companies who value their own reputations as well as their customers...more to the point how in the days of the internet do so many people have no clue what they might be buying into when 10 minutes research should put anyone with an ounce of sense off the worse examples permanently, its not as if buying one of the worse examples means a £50 bill when it goes wrong, we're talking repair (though in some cases its a new unit only) costs in £thousands and possible premature economic scrapping of the vehicle.

"My DQ200 gearbox has failed at 3 years and 2 hours and VAG won't fix it" or somesuch.

What's amazing is how many of these dopes either don't know or can't be asked to use this website's 'search' function (or do the same on the Telegraph) to find the answer they want in 5 minutes, rather than waste HJ's time in asking the same question many people did the previous week. What happened to people 'doing their homework' before asking a question?

Again, not HJ's fault, but society's. I see much the same in the Telegraph's consumer 'agony' collumn with naive fools (and not just OAPs who may not be up on the latest tech or news and may be a bit forgetful and trusting) making such basic mistakes and expecting to get away with it, often demanding compensation (paid for by the rest of us via government or high prices if sought from a firm) for their stupid behaviour.

The daft thing is that most of them aren't what you'd call 'intellectually challenged', more of an 'Oliver Letwin' type (read up on how he naively let in two people who then robbed him).

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - Leif

What's amazing is how many of these dopes either don't know or can't be asked to use this website's 'search' function (or do the same on the Telegraph) to find the answer they want in 5 minutes, rather than waste HJ's time in asking the same question many people did the previous week. What happened to people 'doing their homework' before asking a question?

Again, not HJ's fault, but society's. I see much the same in the Telegraph's consumer 'agony' collumn with naive fools (and not just OAPs who may not be up on the latest tech or news and may be a bit forgetful and trusting) making such basic mistakes and expecting to get away with it, often demanding compensation (paid for by the rest of us via government or high prices if sought from a firm) for their stupid behaviour.

The daft thing is that most of them aren't what you'd call 'intellectually challenged', more of an 'Oliver Letwin' type (read up on how he naively let in two people who then robbed him).

All too often they do research in an owner's forum or a general car forum, and they are told "The Carpotronic gearbox is amazing, the HardRide (TM) drive flat tyres are so bouncey, and the SolidSpankyTat seats are sooooo comfy". Then they discover that the information is wrong, because reports from one or two people tell you little about reliability or are too subjective. And if you try and argue rationally you are told that you are ignorant or a troll.

All too often they do research in an owner's forum or a general car forum, and they are told "The Carpotronic gearbox is amazing, the HardRide (TM) drive flat tyres are so bouncey, and the SolidSpankyTat seats are sooooo comfy". Then they discover that the information is wrong, because reports from one or two people tell you little about reliability or are too subjective. And if you try and argue rationally you are told that you are ignorant or a troll.

:-) Nice.

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - alan1302

Among the not so young there's also a growing number who have given up entirely on our mainstream news media, whether printed or broadcast, for a variety of reasons based around they can no longer be trusted or believed and long ago gave up any pretense of impartiality, no more is this the case as with the state broadcaster, the USA has exactly the same problems.

In my case i gave up on the printed press decades ago and the main broadcast media not long after, in fact its now several years since i watched any terrestrial broadcast of any type, i will not be going back, and as for paying for warped biased articles presented as news, not a chance.

You have mentioned this a lot but never said where you do get your news from now...so where do you get it from?

Also the BBC is not a state broadcaster - I have mentioned that to you before but you still say it - do you not like the truth?

There is only one way to use news media, and that's to read all of it, from extreme to middle ground to other extreme, and then make a balanced judgement on what's most likely.

Some people have an opinion, and if reality does not fit that opinion they refuse to accept it, or only read the media that supports that view. Plenty of outlets exist on that basis.

As per motoring media, we people on here have a view, and are prepared to push it, however we are the exception, the extremes, our experiences are probably not the norm or the real picture, the majority are not bothered either way or even affected. In short we are of no consequence or representative in or of the real world.

Edited by knowwun on 17/01/2020 at 14:12

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - Waino

I guess I may have been one of the earlier readers to have mentioned the problems with the VW group 1,5tsi engine www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/127714/skoda-karoq--

Following that, I kept an eye on the motoring press but only HJ prodded sufficiently to get VW to admit to their failings. It was subsequently assumed that the rest of the media did not want to upset VW for fear of losing advertising revenue and that is why the problems hadn't been more widely reported.

Whenever you write to a general motoring forum, you get a blend of replies - occasionally from people who know what they're talking about but, to contribute and receive reliable information, I have more recently been visiting a site more in line with my particular make/model of car.

You have mentioned this a lot but never said where you do get your news from now...so where do you get it from?

Also the BBC is not a state broadcaster - I have mentioned that to you before but you still say it - do you not like the truth?

What we have to do is be very selective about reading articles on newspaper and TV news websites - often just a change from one journo to another makes a huge difference in the quality and truthfullness (lack of agenda) in an article.

I have now started to get some of my news from other news sources than The Telegraph, for example - sometimes the BBC is still fine, though not often (it really depends on the subject - an uncontrovercial or non-woke one, for example), I also go to podcast news, e.g. Subverse (run by Tim Pool).

At present there is no 'alternative' to the DT that isn't either much the same or more establishment leaning and expensive (The Times, and I'm not paying £££ for both), and the Daily Wail, Express and Current Bun aren't exactly 'quality reads' (some nice pictures though!) for the right-of-centre person. Lots of decent commentary on the news though to be found on the Interweb, especially via YT etc. For those of a left-leaning persuasion, I suspect they have a bit more choice with papers and that, for the moment (until they fold, as is happening in the US), no paywalls. Whether they think such outlets are any good, I don't know.

IMHO, SKY News have just gone off their rocker and become activist and virtue-signalling news, rather like CNN has done in the US. How they've got away with this, I don't know, but then the BBC does to a reasonable degree and Channel 4 blatantly has been doing so for best part of 25 years, in my view. ITV News is ok, but a bit too tabloid for me. Most TV news doesn't go into depth on stories because they just don't have the time and resources, unless the story is a sensation.

Sign of the times, no Agony column this week....

If you are not going to get paid, why bother?

Sign of the times, no Agony column this week....

Oh yeah. I noticed that HJ was previously posting them earlier and earlier in the week, rather than late on Friday or early Saturday morning, last week's coming in on Wednesday that week. Well, he could be just a bit late this time, after all, it is supposed to be for Saturday...

If you want "raw" news you can go to the Daily Mail.

Ha, ha but true.

Put in appropriate search terms and more often than not you will get the agency feeds.

It is state funded which gives it huge advantages over competitors, and it pushes its own liberal (small s) agenda. As an example, the news web site is obsessed with transgender issues. How many stories do you see directly relevant to blind people? Or deaf people? Or elderly people? A tiny number whereas there are transgender stories on the main page almost every day. Auntie Beeb has become a political campaigner of sorts. The content of a story is reasonably balanced, but the selection of stories aint.

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - galileo

It is state funded which gives it huge advantages over competitors, and it pushes its own liberal (small s) agenda. As an example, the news web site is obsessed with transgender issues. How many stories do you see directly relevant to blind people? Or deaf people? Or elderly people? A tiny number whereas there are transgender stories on the main page almost every day. Auntie Beeb has become a political campaigner of sorts. The content of a story is reasonably balanced, but the selection of stories aint.

You have hit the nail on the head, the BBC will always have its defenders, mainly those who agree with its agenda.

Selection of Question Time audiences was heavily biased for years, as has been publicity given to any number of PC and left wing activists.

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - Bromptonaut

I take it by PC you mean so called 'politically correct'?

Anybody using that phrase, or it's handmaiden 'virtue signalling', has no real argument, just a set of prejudices.

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - focussed

The modern usage of the term " not politically correct" is a well known means of shutting down debate or discussion of a subject that the liberal left doesn't want discussed.

Virtue signalling is just another way of saying "a display of piety"

But saying that wouldn't be PC would it?

The modern usage of the term " not politically correct" is a well known means of shutting down debate or discussion of a subject that the liberal left doesn't want discussed.

That's not by experience, though it might be close to original meaning in (I think) Mao's China.

It's modern usage is pejorative so as to deride, for example, measures designed to achieve equality of the races or sexes, including LGBT.

Sort of, but again the usage is pejorative.

That's not by experience, though it might be close to original meaning in (I think) Mao's China.

It's modern usage is pejorative so as to deride, for example, measures designed to achieve equality of the races or sexes, including LGBT.

I disagree. See below.

Sort of, but again the usage is pejorative.

There were serious issues of inequality, and PC meant showing respect and manners for diverse groups. Now PC seems to be more about conforming to what sometimes seems like an extreme agenda and if you don't you risk being bullied even in areas that are contentious.

<< You have hit the nail on the head, the BBC will always have its defenders, mainly those who agree with its agenda. >>

I don't wish to complain about any topic preferences TV channels may seem to have, but I sometimes wonder about the (non-cosmetic) make-up of the presenters. If we are to assume those should be a representative sample of the UK population, either I live in an atypical part of the country, or other parts are very ethnically diverse. The male/female ratio looks reasonable (tho their pay may not be) but I can't help thinking that there has been a lot of PC hiring, or else white A-S Brits just don't apply for jobs in any number. They all do their jobs perfectly, but in some ways Al Jazeera can look just as British :-)

I think we're starting to get off topic here folks.

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - paul 1963

No s*** Sherlock, always happens....

Why do people feel the need to post when a topic goes off topic? Do you think no one else will have noticed?

That's what happens in a General Discussion ?

That's what happens in a General Discussion ?

Only if the header of that thread says 'Anything Goes' or suchlike. The general discussion area is for non-motoring topics, but topics nonetheless.

Given that we were trying to discuss teh reasons why this website has been (presumably) struggling a bit in recent years and coming up with the reasons why we believe that and suggestions as to how to keep it going and improve (including its financial position/viability), heading off to something about gender and the BBC isn't really conducive to helping HJ & Co, is it?

This could also be why some people are turned off coming here and participating (and I'm not saying I haven't strayed myself on occasion - we've all done it, but perhaps we need to think about the consequences of straying into a full-on political debate this often.

Jus' sayin'.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 19/01/2020 at 16:39

Jus' sayin'.

You're happy enough adding your own rightish slant to posts on here and repeatedly express your own views, which others might say were prejudices, about (amongst others) public servants and migrants. .

It's a wee bit rich to complain when other folks respond.

Jus' sayin'.

Jus' sayin'.

You're happy enough adding your own rightish slant to posts on here and repeatedly express your own views, which others might say were prejudices, about (amongst others) public servants and migrants. .

It's a wee bit rich to complain when other folks respond.

Jus' sayin'.

Bromp - I'm unsure why you took this as a personal sleight on you and your politics - it wasn't, especially as I didn't mention anyone by name or directly replied to your post. In fact it was somebody else who brought up identity politics and I was saying, generally, for the good of this website, could we all please stay on the topic at hand, given without this website and forum you wouldn't be able to discuss and read about motoring issues in such depth and for free. Pointless petty bickering about issues nothing to do with the future of the website does nothing to help and takes away from the imporatnt issue at hand.

We can discuss politics on another thread. My comments about younger people as regards not really playing much of a full role on this website/forum was an indictment on society in general and how it has changed in the last 20 years, which is just as much the fault of politicians from both sides and business as it is everyone in the wider society.

I was trying to start a conversation as regards not just keep existing users, but attracting new ones, which will be very difficult given what has become of our younger generations.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 20/01/2020 at 15:20

I never get too worried about 'thread drift': it happens, just as it does in a conversation, especially one with someone whose company you're enjoying.

The original topic was getting to the stage where anything that needed to be said has been said, so things move on with no harm done.

But by all means start a new thread if you think that a new topic is worth discussing in its own right.

I never get too worried about 'thread drift': it happens, just as it does in a conversation, especially one with someone whose company you're enjoying.

The original topic was getting to the stage where anything that needed to be said has been said, so things move on with no harm done.

But by all means start a new thread if you think that a new topic is worth discussing in its own right.

The thing is that I believe some new members may not like it when such an important topic goes off topic, and specifically into identity politics (on both sides), when, frankly, the discussion has little relevance to the very important issue at hand.

I agree that normally it would matter less, but in this case, the issue is of high importance and I think we need to concentrate on that.

"The thing is that I believe some new members may not like it when such an important topic goes off topic, and specifically into identity politics (on both sides), when, frankly, the discussion has little relevance to the very important issue at hand.

I agree that normally it would matter less, but in this case, the issue is of high importance and I think we need to concentrate on that."

The fact is that there is nothing left to discuss. We have been given as much (or as little) information as is available and there has been some speculation. What else is there to say?

And I wouldn't exercise myself over "new members" - they probably won't be very interested in a site whose days may be numbered and one of the main issues is that the number of active members of the BR Forum is probably quite small. In addition, if the numbers of visits to the site generally are fairly low, this would account for the weak financial position of the HJ website.

The thing is that I believe some new members may not like it when such an important topic goes off topic, and specifically into identity politics (on both sides), when, frankly, the discussion has little relevance to the very important issue at hand.

I would respectfully disagree. I don't think, given the 'Telegraph factor' it's all that surprising that this thread strayed into a discussion of the media. There are several posters here who are quite willing to add a little bit of spice by way of politics or 'facts' that are open to question and provided it doesn't get out of hand or become a hamster wheel of repetition there's no harm in debating those issues.

Unlike some other fora we're pretty good at keeping it civil - even when people talk nonsense :-P.

Most new posters are in the motoring, technical and legal sections with questions of one sort or another. Those of us in here being 'old hands' and I honestly cannot see even a newbie being such a shrinking violet that a bit of robust debate will put them off.

If Avant thinks it's going too far then, as we've seen occasionally, he will say so.

I would respectfully disagree. I don't think, given the 'Telegraph factor' it's all that surprising that this thread strayed into a discussion of the media. There are several posters here who are quite willing to add a little bit of spice by way of politics or 'facts' that are open to question and provided it doesn't get out of hand or become a hamster wheel of repetition there's no harm in debating those issues.

Unlike some other fora we're pretty good at keeping it civil - even when people talk nonsense :-P.

Most new posters are in the motoring, technical and legal sections with questions of one sort or another. Those of us in here being 'old hands' and I honestly cannot see even a newbie being such a shrinking violet that a bit of robust debate will put them off.

If Avant thinks it's going too far then, as we've seen occasionally, he will say so.

If that's the case, why are many other forums and websites disappearing, not just related to motoring, but across many subjects and in the media in general? If, as some say, there's nothing more to say on the original subject of this thread, then we may as well just twiddle our thumbs. I mean, why try and come up with good ideas and solutions when we can proverbially fiddle why Rome burns?

That 'other' website (or one of them) previously mentioned doesn't seem to be particularly 'lively' with activity either, something I've noticed across many websites and forums these days. Are we happy the (un)social media, with all its terrible flaws, has essentially taken over and is sucking the lifeblood out of discussing issues and even news and reviews?

Because the quality of those services does not in any way match what we have here, and yet plenty of us here seem to be shugging their shoulders as if they don't care two hoots whether the site survives or not, much less have an idea or two.

Why? Facebook etc.

"Because the quality of those services does not in any way match what we have here, and yet plenty of us here seem to be shugging their shoulders as if they don't care two hoots whether the site survives or not, much less have an idea or two."

A dig at me, I assume. It's not that I "don't care two hoots", as you seem to think, but rather that I'm being practical. If there's something that any of us (the members and contributors to the Back Room) can do about the whole HJ website, I don't see it.

You seems to have a lot of words - "full of sound and fury" - so why not give us your solution?

"Because the quality of those services does not in any way match what we have here, and yet plenty of us here seem to be shugging their shoulders as if they don't care two hoots whether the site survives or not, much less have an idea or two."

A dig at me, I assume. It's not that I "don't care two hoots", as you seem to think, but rather that I'm being practical. If there's something that any of us (the members and contributors to the Back Room) can do about the whole HJ website, I don't see it.

You seems to have a lot of words - "full of sound and fury" - so why not give us your solution?

I already did give my thoughts on possible solutions, here and on the now locked parallel thread on the Motoring Discussion area. Perhaps you missed them.

"I already did give my thoughts on possible solutions, here and on the now locked parallel thread on the Motoring Discussion area. Perhaps you missed them."

Indeed you did and I had. However, an awful lot of what you have contributed to this thread is, as I said above, very wordy. (There doesn't seem to be anything about solutions in the other thread.)

Having ploughed through them all, it seems your solution seems to be (a) make the advertising more intrusive and (b) make the site subscription-only, or a combination of the two. But you don't seem enthusiastic about either.

You'll forgive me for my own lack of enthusiasm here.

Actually I wanted the ads to be less, not more intrusive, becaue doing so meant many of us installed ad blockers so the intrusive (system resources hungry) ads did not slow down our computers, especially tablets and smartphones. As regards a subscription service - I'd rather pay a very small amount for a decent website/service.

As I said, at least I was making suggestions. I mean, someone has to pay for this all. The days of everything being free on the Interweb are almost over.

If we are to assume those should be a representative sample of the UK population, either I live in an atypical part of the country, or other parts are very ethnically diverse.

There will be published statistics that show percentage of Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) people amongst presenters. If you tell us where you live then we can see how diverse it is or is not from census returns.

In terms of news output a lot of foreign reporting, particularly in Asia and Africa, once done by white people, mostly men (and yes Kate Adie!!) is now covered by locally recruited staff which will also make a difference.

<< In terms of news output a lot of foreign reporting, particularly in Asia and Africa, once done by white people, mostly men (and yes Kate Adie!!) is now covered by locally recruited staff which will also make a difference. >>

Yes, of course there are local reporters from all over the globe. I was referring just to the faces we are familiar with in the home studio. I have no objection to anyone doing that job properly; I just have a feeling that there may have been a bit of eagerly positive discrimination.

<< You have hit the nail on the head, the BBC will always have its defenders, mainly those who agree with its agenda. >>

I don't wish to complain about any topic preferences TV channels may seem to have, but I sometimes wonder about the (non-cosmetic) make-up of the presenters. If we are to assume those should be a representative sample of the UK population, either I live in an atypical part of the country, or other parts are very ethnically diverse. The male/female ratio looks reasonable (tho their pay may not be) but I can't help thinking that there has been a lot of PC hiring, or else white A-S Brits just don't apply for jobs in any number. They all do their jobs perfectly, but in some ways Al Jazeera can look just as British :-)

I don't really have an issue if for example there is an over abundance of perma tans among the staff as long as hiring is based on merit. However when I listen to R4, there is an overabundance of privately educated posh people and certain accepted accents. Thus a strong posh West Indian accent is present, but no strong Northern accent, or West Country or Norfolk. The BBC seems to have strong biases away from 'common' British accents as if a West Indian accent is 'oh so diverse darling' but a Yorkshire one would be 'oh so horribly working class darling'. Some hail the presence of Mishal Hussain on R4 but she is just another upper class privately educated person to add to the long list. And I happen to think she is a rather poor interviewer, but that's an aside.

<< when I listen to R4, there is an overabundance of privately educated posh people and certain accepted accents. Thus a strong posh West Indian accent is present, but no strong Northern accent, or West Country or Norfolk >>

R4 is a relatively 'posh' channel (which I admit I listen to now and then). But if you listen to R1 or R2 I guess the accents may be different.

I don't think it's a question of radio, more an unwritten assumption that accents from (for example) Glasgow, Liverpool, Birmingham are 'common' compared to (say) Edinburgh or Lancashire.

You have hit the nail on the head, the BBC will always have its defenders, mainly those who agree with its agenda.

So what exactly is its agenda? Give some specifics.

Edited by knowwun on 18/01/2020 at 20:00

Just looked at news website and no trans gender stories at all today...people often notice what they don't like. Over a day the BBC will have a variety of news which relates to different people....but of course they can only report the news so if there is no news that directly relates to blind people then they can't report it. How often would you expect a story that mainly relates to blind people to occur?

Just looked at news website and no trans gender stories at all today.

Lots of reasons why Transgender stories crop up not least of which is that there is still widespread prejudice and discrimination. In last day or two we've had a news item about a person turned down for a job explicitly because they were trans. We know that because somebody in the recruiting employer blew the whistle.

There's an ongoing debate about the issue of Gender Recognition Certificates and whether the legislation allowing them, which seemed ground breaking when it was passed, it still fit for purpose. What about trans teenagers and per-teens? Lots of controversy about numbers, particularly girls wanting to be male, treatment or whether the condition should be recognised before adulthood.

And then there's a whole load of stuff in US where some states are legislating which restroom trans people should use.

What are the issues affecting deaf and/or blind people that are not being reported?

For the Agony column for 18.1.20, go to Home and scroll down a few rows.

Edited by Avant on 18/01/2020 at 23:24

For the Agony column for 18.1.20, go to Home and scroll down a few rows.

I think that quite a lot of people got used to his column being uploaded a good day or two early and then (for some unknown reason) get ticked off when it comes along on the day it is supposed to be published, i.e. Saturdays. No pleasing some people.

It is rather an abbreviated example though; just a series of links to the site content.

"....one of the main issues is that the number of active members of the BR Forum is probably quite small. In addition, if the numbers of visits to the site generally are fairly low, this would account for the weak financial position of the HJ website."

Replying to Bromptonaut a few posts upthread - I agree with almost everything you say, but just to take you up on the above, there are perhaps more people viewing the forum than you might think.

At the time of typing this, there have been 2004 views of this thread: obviously it's not as many individuals as that because some of us have been back to it several times. But still quite a lot, and you can see some respectably high 'view' figures in other sections too.

Edited by Avant on 21/01/2020 at 23:59

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - SLO76
Came late to the party but this has been a very enjoyable experience to date. It’s a pleasure talking among other likeminded car wafflers and helping those who seek advice. I love hearing from people who’ve bought cheap cars based on advice gained on here, the cheaper the better.

Hopefully a buyer will be step up and a sustainable future found. I have however seen a big change in the motor trades advertising habits of late, they’re increasingly relying on their own websites and on big social media sites to advertise instead of using the likes of Auto Trader or similar so it’s a tough market to be in right now. Much of this is down to the serious drop in sales we’ve seen in the last couple of years with dealers desperately trying to save money with both online and print advertising. Local groups that used to advertise on billboards and in the local press have largely killed it off and local papers are struggling as a result.

Speaking to one salesman at a large dealer nearby while viewing a car for someone he mentioned that he has only 6 spots on Auto Trader for his site which holds around 120 cars, the vast bulk of his stock won’t show unless you look at their own site. This explains why I was struggling to find cars for people looking only at the main sites. Dealers are cutting costs and advertising themselves. The search has become more challenging and a lot of people are going to be out of work.

I do understand why sales have plummeted though, cars are simply too expensive. A few years back £10k got you a nice nearly new family hatch with a bit of spec but today it’s closer to £20k. I know loads of older drivers locally that used to buy a new car every few years but are now hanging on to much older but perfectly reliable cars for this very reason. The Jazz auto I spotted in the local Honda dealer at £19,700 is a killer for these buyers.

I quite agree. The price of cars has got so expensive, so they have to be very selective on the marketing given sales are really down. This isn't just a UK phenom either. It makes it difficult to get decent advertisers paying a reasonable fee for smaller players like HJ.

Quick flick through Autocar while in ASDA earlier (I no longer subscribe as I don’t really care about overpriced new cars) and I’m amazed at the prices of everything. A test of the new Corsa and a list of its (all superior) supermini rivals horrified me. All high spec but £20,000 for a 1.0 Seat Ibiza, £21,500 for a 1.0 Polo, £22,000 for a 1.0 Fiesta and £20,500 for a Renault Clio!!!!! The world has gone mad.

I could never advise paying anything close to these prices or the PCP/lease rates they currently attract. They’ve rocketed in recent years to the point that I see a high spec Mazda 2 at my local dealer advertised at the same monthly payment I used to fork out for a new Honda CRV 1.6 DTEC SE-T, a world away in terms of size and prestige.

The place to be seems to be 3-5yrs old when they’re returning to the dealers and there’s much more availability than nearly new and prices seem much more sensible. The only issue is that few people are looking after them they way they used to as they never own them. They all too often return them at the end of a PCP or lease term with poorly done paintwork and manky interiors that are too much for even the best valet shop. I’m horrified by the condition of many of the cars I’m asked to view these days and can’t recommend anyone buy without viewing in person. A salesman will tell you anything to get a deal and omitting telling you about paintwork damage is something they’ll happily do to get a name on paper.

This is a weird time for the motor trade, with prices soaring and everyone worrying about which direction to take regarding fuel. Overpriced electric cars that’ll cost vastly more than a petrol or diesel equivalent and it’ll need a battery at around 6-7yrs, diesel that might be banned from cities accross the globe or petrol that might suddenly be under attack as it was in the late nineties and naughties.

Dealers are struggling with even the biggest chains downsizing and many age old names disappearing. Advertising has been slashed and car hunting is more of a challenge than it’s been in years. You can’t simply look to Auto trader as the bulk of sales stock isn’t there anymore, it’s hiding on dealers own websites.

I’m glad I left. I enjoyed selling for a dealer in the 90’s and buying and selling cheap stock from the house but it’s no fun at all now. The death of the smaller new car dealers who’d sell to traders plus WBAC and other buying services combined with the inability of people to hold onto a car to sell it without having to SORN it killed off the legitimate home trader. No great loss to be fair as most were utter rogues anyway but only the real fly guys exist today.

Cars are expensive white goods today, a monthly payment and it’s offloaded at the end of term to be replaced with another numb appliance with over firm suspension and lifeless electric steering. Electric cars only feed this feeling further, they have no soul.

I badly need an 80’s/90’s retro hot hatch to play with.

There are plenty of 'immaculate' 205s for sale, SLO, but they cost about as much as the new cars you dislike :-) You could pick up one that needs a bit of work, and do it up ?

There are plenty of 'immaculate' 205s for sale, SLO, but they cost about as much as the new cars you dislike :-) You could pick up one that needs a bit of work, and do it up ?

They cost plenty but it’s offset by the fact that they don’t depreciate unlike one of those overpriced new models.

I suspect you are looking at the prices of the higher spec. models. My Polo 1.0 SE cost £14,500 two years ago, and my neighbour bought the more basic model as a one year old ex-demonstrator for about £11,000 one year ago. In real terms (allowing for inflation) cars are not that expensive compared to 15 years ago. However, wages have barely increase over the last ~10 years which might be the issue many people have.

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - drbe

I use AutoTrader.

Select 'brand new', or '2019', select the make and model you want, then the 'must have' items. Then at the top right where the default is 'relevance', roll down to cheapest and Bob is your Mum's brother.

Please also use the Cars for Sale section on this site: click the button at the top of the page.

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - glidermania

I thought there was something going on with HJ's site recently. There's a 25 year article on HJ in the telegraph and one reader's comment was his site was in administration. That in itself is bad news because althought the CEO's email gives some answers, it's never good news when a company goes into admin. For most, admin is just the first step in a long drawn out closure at worst, or a buy out, change of principles and paid for content under some shady entrepreneur, at best.

The agony column letters have been appearing later on a Saturday instead of the usual Friday. Ive also noticed there's a lot more 'what car should I buy' type letters filling column space rather than what I would call real issues about lack of manufacturer or dealer support etc.

Neither am I surprised that the readership for this site has dipped dramatically. You only have to read this thread. There's hardly any news on the subject matter and loads of contributions from highly opinionated people.

Edited by glidermania on 26/01/2020 at 11:54

"Neither am I surprised that the readership for this site has dipped dramatically. You only have to read this thread. There's hardly any news on the subject matter and loads of contributions from highly opinionated people."

What news might you expect, when there is no real news, nor would anyone expect any in the circumstances?

Yes, there are some highly opinionated people here; that in part at least is what makes the BR interesting.

Putting those two observations together as the reason for readership of the site dropping dramatically (actually, has it?) seems unlikely to me.

You may have noticed that the requests for information and advice on motoring matters, and responses thereto, continue unabated - there certainly seems to be no reduction in posting.

If you feel the need to be dismissive of the BR, there is only one response - don't bother with it.

Opinionated people? pot kettle and black springs to mind, but if all opinions were the same and kept to oneself there wouldn't be a forum at all.

Times change, we all hope the HJ site can find a buyer and our small back room survives the probable refurbishment, we shall see.

Opinionated people? pot kettle and black springs to mind, but if all opinions were the same and kept to oneself there wouldn't be a forum at all.

Well said GB. I, as you know, have strong opinions on diverse subjects, as do many others here. With a very few exceptions (i'm looking at the lorry driver of 30 yrs standing who thinks he can answer legal questions) I'll respect what they say, even if I'm going to contradict them.

Neither am I surprised that the readership for this site has dipped dramatically. You only have to read this thread. There's hardly any news on the subject matter and loads of contributions from highly opinionated people.

Forums are not what they were. When this one started 20 years ago there were few opportunities to exchange views on common interests in real time. The Professional Pilot's Rumour Network (PPRuNE) was doing a sterling job but most other fora, including the back room in its earliest iteration were a bit flaky. A lot of people used what became Yahoo groups; basically an email reflector.

Nowadays there's facebook, Twitter, Instagram and any number of options. Never mind some will get bored of arguing with strangers.

What is odd looking back to the early backroom - the pre 2002 archive - is how many people at outset seemed to use their real names. I guess, like me they looked back and realised they were setting themselves up for 'jigsaw' identification or they were posting stuff too close to their professional life (in my case both of those things!!)

The content of the agony column is governed by what people ask about, not by HJ. There is usually a good spread of topics, as evidenced by the last two weeks' columns. We get plenty of 'what car should I buy' questions on the forum too: nothing wrong with that, and like HJ himself, we're glad to help. If lots of people are asking questions of this nature, then clearly it's a 'real issue'.

"....his site was in administration." A website can't be in administration. It's the company which owns the website which s in administration, and I have quoted the administrators' answers to some FAQ's near th beginning of ths thread.

I've read through your post several times, Glidermania, and try as I might I can't find anything remotely constructive in it.

The content of the agony column is governed by what people ask about, not by HJ. There is usually a good spread of topics, as evidenced by the last two weeks' columns. We get plenty of 'what car should I buy' questions on the forum too: nothing wrong with that, and like HJ himself, we're glad to help. If lots of people are asking questions of this nature, then clearly it's a 'real issue'.

"....his site was in administration." A website can't be in administration. It's the company which owns the website which s in administration, and I have quoted the administrators' answers to some FAQ's near th beginning of ths thread.

I've read through your post several times, Glidermania, and try as I might I can't find anything remotely constructive in it.

I mostly come across them commenting on HJ's weekly column and news items, and almost never these days in the Back Room.

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - DrTeeth

I think many people got sick of the endless "Michelin Cross Climate", "use superfuels" and "use left foot braking" answers.

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - groaver

I suspect you are looking at the prices of the higher spec. models. My Polo 1.0 SE cost £14,500 two years ago, and my neighbour bought the more basic model as a one year old ex-demonstrator for about £11,000 one year ago. In real terms (allowing for inflation) cars are not that expensive compared to 15 years ago. However, wages have barely increase over the last ~10 years which might be the issue many people have.

I think you are correct, Leif. If you look at headline prices, they seem terrible.

My OH has a Leon 1.4 FR that cost £12.2k with 750 miles on it, 3 months old. She got top book for her trade in too.

My Superb was 13 months old, 10k miles on it and 15k less than new (yes I know it'll still drop but it's my last hurrah at an ice, I think).

Dealers aren't selling.YOU have the upper hand as a buyer. While I was looking for my OH, a dealer on Carwow offered a brand new Kia Niro with £ 13.5k off without any work.

In saying all of this, you have to want the modern car in the first place!

Sorry to see the company struggling. Where are all the regulars going to reminisce about motoring in a bygone age? Do Saga have a motoring forum? ;)

Edited by groaver on 26/01/2020 at 15:19

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - thunderbird

In real terms (allowing for inflation) cars are not that expensive compared to 15 years ago.

Cars are cheap compared to 15 years ago, in truth they are cheap compared to 24 years ago.

Back in 1996 we bought a brand new Golf TDi 90 PS. We paid about £14,000 inc metallic.

In 2006 it was replaced by a brand new Focus TDCi 110 PS. We paid about £12000 inc. metallic and the upgraded stereo (which in truth was useless but it was the only car available).

In 2018 that was replaced by a brand new Nissan Pulsar 1.6 DIG-T which cost us £12,000.

Car can be way cheaper now than they were, you just need to look for the right deal.

Go back further and in 1990 dad paid over £10,000 for a new Golf 1600 CL which had absolutely not kit whatsoever. But compared to others on the market at the time it was priced about the same. Add in 2.47% average inflation over the last 30 years (from a google search) and that car would be approx £21,000. The cheapest current Golf is the S 85 PS which costs about £19750 new. So it looks like not only is the current car cheaper but it will have loads of kit, more power and better fuel,economy. But also consider that back in 1990 there was no internet and very few brokers, a quick search finds the Golf for under £17,000.

What's not to like.

<< in 1990 dad paid over £10,000 for a new Golf 1600 CL which had absolutely no kit whatsoever. But compared to others on the market at the time it was priced about the same. >>

That will depend on whether you compare list prices or the best deals available. I suspect that today's discounts will be much better than 30 years ago.

The Peugeot top of the range 205 Gti (1.9) was listed at £11,790 at the start of 1990, which had risen to 12,195 by Christmas. The 1.6 was just 10,290. If you had a bit to spare you could get the 1.6 soft-top for 12,870 or 13,700 later on.

“ Back in 1996 we bought a brand new Golf TDi 90 PS. We paid about £14,000 inc metallic.

In 2006 it was replaced by a brand new Focus TDCi 110 PS. We paid about £12000 inc. metallic and the upgraded stereo (which in truth was useless but it was the only car available).

In 2018 that was replaced by a brand new Nissan Pulsar 1.6 DIG-T which cost us £12,000.”

Not really comparing like for like there. The pulsar was a flop for Nissan, it just wasn’t up to the standard of rivals and wasn’t particularly well made or indeed good to look at. The firm were heavily discounting them to get rid of stock towards the end of production. The nearest match for that original Golf TDI would be a mid spec Golf 1.6 TDi Match at £24,465 new plus any options and the Focus would be matched with a new 1.5 TDCi Zetec at £22,595 both insane figures if you ask me. To get a direct comparison with the Pulsar you’d be looking something like the Proton Personas I was flogging in the 90’s at around £10k new depending on spec.

Edited by SLO76 on 26/01/2020 at 23:49

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - stojom

Have posted on hj agony column 22/2/20 pt.2 about this

Still business as usual for now. As with any acquisition of a business, it takes time for a new owner to decide how best to integrate it. Since a large part of what Heycars have bought is the reputation for impartiality that Honestjohn.co.uk has built up, they will be well aware of the need for this to be maintained.

It looks like the insolvency proceedings were caused by one of the co-owners calling in a loan so it was more a cash flow issue rather than bankrupcy as such, with assets exceeding liabilities after the web site was sold.

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - S Morton

I understand the vagaries of business but it would be nice if the new owners put a bit of effort into updating the home page etc and the Agony Column. Nothing seems to have changed for several weeks.

I understand the vagaries of business but it would be nice if the new owners put a bit of effort into updating the home page etc and the Agony Column. Nothing seems to have changed for several weeks.

They have only owned it for a few weeks and at the moment the world of car sales has come to a halt...expect they will refresh it in the months to come

n/a - Future of HJ.co.uk - Onedrew
I was surprised to see the new owners dismiss premium fuels as a waste of money for non-supercars in a query response. But in the Telegraph today there’s a big thumbs up for V-power. Is the real HJ still answering queries in the DT but no longer on the web?

Yes, as far as I know he is, Andrew. HJ's contract with the DT was always separate from this site, and I think there has been an agreement about the use of the HJ name.