Volkswagen Golf TDI - Car Windows misting up badly - Golf V (2004) - Sam Coleman
Hello,

I have recently purchased a 2004 golf GT TDI 2.0.

I am having real issues with the inside of the cabin misting up badly, the windows become soaking wet in a matter of seconds. It then becomes really difficult to clear, no matter with the blowers on full heat or cold. If you wipe the windows with a cloth they must up again almost instantly.

The inside of the car doesn’t appear to be wet, have checked all the carpets, footwells and in the boot, all dry. I have checked the pollen filter, looks almost new.

I also feel the blowers/ heating-cooling system doesn’t work correctly, the temperature coming out doesn’t always match the setting and the blowers don’t seem to work as they should. For example when I trying to clear the windscreen they do not come on full blast most of the time unless I squirt the washer jets for a few seconds or if I put the car in reverse?? On a couple of occasions the blowers appear to have stopped working altogether. There is the occasional bad smell also, like the air con system needs cleaning, but only on the odd occasion.

The car has dual climate control with the the econ button.

When the I have managed to get the windows clear, I can go along fine for some time, then all of a sudden you feel the air change within the car and windows will mist up very quickly.

Any ideas??
Volkswagen Golf TDI - Car Windows misting up badly - Golf V (2004) - elekie&a/c doctor
Firstly , check for drain always in the plenum air intake area , by the wipers . Also make sure the air recirculated flap is operating correctly , behind the glove box . Make sure the heater is drawing in fresh air from outside.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 08/11/2019 at 19:39

Volkswagen Golf TDI - Car Windows misting up badly - Golf V (2004) - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Maybe the air conditioning needs a check and a service. My VW group cars need the ac to b e working for effective demisting. A new pollen filter plus a deodrirzer is needed imho from experience .

Volkswagen Golf TDI - Car Windows misting up badly - Golf V (2004) - Galad

Wet pollen filter probably due to hosing the car underneath.

Volkswagen Golf TDI - Car Windows misting up badly - Golf V (2004) - Sam Coleman
Today I checked under the wipers, not much in the way of leaves/debris to speak of, but cleared what was there. Checked pollen filter again, bone dry and clean.

I also checked the recirculating flap behind the glove box and this is working correctly.

I did a 200 mile round trip last night, on the way there, any signs of the misting up starting i blasted it on Low and the screen cleared quickly like I believe it should if everything is in order, although on one occasion there was nothing that could be done, could hardly see out of the windows and didn’t clear on any setting i tried. Wiped glass with a cloth which became saturated, and the windows would mist up virtually as quickly as I could wipe them. Windows open in the end and I think on high heat and 10 mins later I could see again (this was driving down the motorway).

On the way home (same journey and outside temp), as I was pulling away the windows began to mist again so I thought I would try to see if turning the recirculating button to ON made any difference and all the way home, no issues at all, think the settings were on 3 lights for blower speed and about 22 degrees. Might just be a coincidence.

Edited by Sam Coleman on 09/11/2019 at 19:51