MG ZS 2017 - Tyre Puncture repair badly done - oldroverboy.

Was concerned about TPMS warnings coming on shortly after getting the car, so checked pressures regularly... warnings on at approx 450-500 miles or about 8 days depending on usage. This morning light on again, so took car to the local tyre centre my MG dealer uses.

One very poorly repaired n/s rear tyre. puncture was in the first groove about 50 mm from the edge.

Selling Dealer has agreed to pay for new replacement tyre. said no need to return it, but i will as I would like the matter of the poor repair sorted.

I know it's not my problem, but the tyre fitters i used said it was a really bad repair.

Car was bought from a national chain, who have also incidentally agreed to pay for the service that they forgot to carry out before delivery. also finally received missing owners pack and service book and vitally the spare key...

The thing is, that I really like the car now after 5 weeks... just disappointed in the selling dealer. Fuel consumption overall all totted up using brim to brim and odometer appears to be 40.01..over the 1700 miles

Happily my local dealer are proving to be super and helpful and their tyre fitters (independent of them on the job.

MG ZS 2017 - Tyre Puncture repair badly done - Andrew-T

ORB, I am quite sure there are places out there, especially the big impersonal ones, where once you have signed on the dotted line all they may bother to do is valet the car thoroughly to make the new owner feel cosseted. Unless perhaps you had agreed a list of tasks to be dealt with before delivery. 'Forgot to do the service' ? Maybe the car hadn't quite reached the full 12K miles (or whatever it was). All this especially if buyer is from some way away ....

To be fair, if a tyre had been repaired, they might reasonably have assumed it was job done - but it wasn't.

Glad you like the car though, that is the important thing. As the immortal QW has said, you are unlikely to have to deal with that outfit again, so put it down to experience. I haven't bought many cars from the same place twice - I can think of one or two, and some others which I would gladly revisit.

ORB, Unless perhaps you had agreed a list of tasks to be dealt with before delivery. 'Forgot to do the service' ? Maybe the car hadn't quite reached the full 12K miles (or whatever it was). All this especially if buyer is from some way away ....

Yes I had asked specifically the service to be done as the car was 10 months and 3 weeks old despite being 2161 miles showing. I was initially told it had been serviced.

To be fair, if a tyre had been repaired, they might reasonably have assumed it was job done - but it wasn't.

It's not that it was job done, it was job done badly, interior buffing down to the cords in places, inner patch not sticking, and about as poor a job as could be done. I can't take a good enough photo to show here though.

I am not cross with the supplying dealer, it is up to them (if they wish to take it up with their repairer),

I do admit that with the Senior management being involved after getting nowhere fast with the salesman, then calling head office, who connected me directly to the senior sales manager things are being sorted

Glad you like the car though, that is the important thing. As the immortal QW has said, you are unlikely to have to deal with that outfit again, so put it down to experience. I haven't bought many cars from the same place twice - I can think of one or two, and some others which I would gladly revisit.

Yes, as well, it is down to experience... but heyho heyho, my experience is improving with my excellent local MG dealer.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 31/12/2018 at 19:49

MG ZS 2017 - Tyre Puncture repair badly done - Simon

How do you know who did the poor repair on the tyre in the first place? Could it not have been done in the previous keepers ownership?

2000 mile demo only used by dealer. Just like the other things... Poorly dealt with.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 01/01/2019 at 07:57

Let me be direct here.

I would not have minded paying myself for a puncture repair or a new tyre, that is just part of the "fun" of motoring. At the end of the day, these things happen.

What did concern me was the quality of the repair.

It is my life at risk after all.

MG ZS 2017 - Tyre Puncture repair badly done - badbusdriver

Well, at least the circumstances have lead you to discovering the poor repair before anything drastic happened. Fortunately your local dealer seems to be more competent and helpful, so fingers crossed that this will be the end of any issues and you can carry on enjoying the car.

MG ZS 2017 - Tyre Puncture repair badly done - gordonbennet

My advice for anyone who gets a puncture that appears repairable, you are most unlikely to live in the vicinity of a professional tyre repair workshops (concentrated mainly in Northants, one that might still exist in Ely), the next best tyre fitting shop is one who caters for the commercial and agricultural sector where repairing punctures to working vehicle standard is a given.

MG ZS 2017 - Tyre Puncture repair badly done - Andrew-T

2000 mile demo only used by dealer. Just like the other things... Poorly dealt with.

That 2000 miles is probably why the car hadn't been serviced - much too far ahead of the planned mileage, and a bit ahead of the due time.

That 2000 miles is probably why the car hadn't been serviced - much too far ahead of the planned mileage, and a bit ahead of the due time.

Service intervals are 12500 miles OR 12 months whichever comes first.

7 year warranty conditions.

Annual services.

and as said before, I was definitely told it HAD been serviced.

At least the dealership IS being honourable and paying my local dealers invoice. I have that in writing, with a Full apology.

As that has been offered, I am satisfied with the outcome.

Andrew, If your warranty was refused as the dealer had not completed the work properly, Would you be happy?

For that reason, I have stayed polite with said dealership, as sometimes it is the response to the problem and how it is dealt with that is important.

Now things are being dealt with, I am a much happier customer.

And again, I am very happy with the car and very pleasantly surprised.

Happy new year to all.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 01/01/2019 at 16:21

MG ZS 2017 - Tyre Puncture repair badly done - SteveLee

Call me old fashioned (and perhaps it's because I'm a biker and am therefore paranoid about tyres) but I always replace puncture-repaired tyres at the first opportunity. I simply don't trust repairs - even though I know deep-down they're probably perfectly safe most of the time.

Just a little note to finish on.

Have received a cheque this morning, in full settlement of the service and the tyre that was replaced.

Well done a certain MG dealer oop north..

Nice to see no messing around.. invoices received last friday, cheque came today.