ANY - Vehicle 3 pin connectors & bulb connectors - KenC

I have a had a couple of problems this year with intermittent electrical problems

1. indicator stopped flashing

2.magnetic speedometer sensor became erraticly reliable, sometimes stopped recording

Access to both has been difficult and after checking the contacts and giving the contacts a light stroke with wire wool both faults have dissapeared

I do not want to do this again, so for prevention purposes can anyone please give an opinion on dielectric grease and it,s uses.?

Is there anyone who applies it to every electrical connection ? ( as seen on uTube)

thank you

ANY - Vehicle 3 pin connectors & bulb connectors - hardway

I have used spray silicon grease on M/Cycle electrical multi plugs whenever I disconnect them.

They can be a b***** to get apart and suffer from the dreaded green.

Though I have to admit a well know brand off household spray polish works a treat as well.

ANY - Vehicle 3 pin connectors & bulb connectors - 3uga

to eliminate bad conections I recomend MOS2. I worked fine for me and no problems were found after that.

ANY - Vehicle 3 pin connectors & bulb connectors - elekie&a/c doctor

Use dielectric grease on a regular basis,especially on under bonnet connectors,which on modern cars are becoming minute. Virtually impossible to clean,with any suitable tool,so use a contact cleaner spray followed by the grease. www.ebay.co.uk/i/172745276722

ANY - Vehicle 3 pin connectors & bulb connectors - focussed

But silicone grease is an insulator isn't it?

From the description on the ebay link:-"Silicone greases are formulated to provide very durable non-setting workstable products used to lubricate, electrically insulate and act as a heat transfer medium"

Don't get me wrong - I've used silicone grease for 50 years for what you describe- connectors - multiplugs - anything that has a tendency to go manky with moisture and salt etc.

ANY - Vehicle 3 pin connectors & bulb connectors - KenC

I am going to by some this week my dilema was do I

a) lightly smear it on the actual metal contacts or

b) on the plastic conneectors to prevent dampness ingress or

c) both of the above

ANY - Vehicle 3 pin connectors & bulb connectors - edlithgow

I am going to by some this week my dilema was do I

a) lightly smear it on the actual metal contacts or

b) on the plastic conneectors to prevent dampness ingress or

c) both of the above

Both of the above.

The connectors are supposed to ensure direct metal-metal contact, so any intervening grease gets forced out of the interface but surrounds it and protects it from corrosion.

I use vaseline, because, unlike silicon grease, I can get it here.

I've heard of people using Copaslip, arguing that the copper ingredient is conductive. Mostly academic for me since I can't get that here either.

ANY - Vehicle 3 pin connectors & bulb connectors - madf

I use electrical grease available widely on ebay and lather it on connections and plugs. Works a treat..

There is a reason why Japanese electricals are so good- they do the same..(at least Toyota and Honda do)