The UK's "Worst Drivers" - Josh Fisher

Just seen a thread over at piston heads which included a link to the article: www.somersetcountygazette.co.uk/news/16228721.Avon.../

Hah! Quite surely they can't be as bad as some of the drivers I've seen along the A19 recently.

The UK's "Worst Drivers" - gordonbennet

I wonder how the high number of nicks compare with accident rates compared against mileages covered.

So the old bill are hot on issuing fixed penalties, that doesn't necessarily mean they have the worse drivers, it could simply be more enthusiastic coppers, statistics only.

Leicester drivers apparently jump lights regularly, which is hardly surprising as the city must have the most anti vehicle progress traffic light programming in the entire country, why the natives haven't done an Incredible Hulk and smashed every traffic light to pieces out of sheer frustration is a mystery.

The UK's "Worst Drivers" - Leif

I wonder how the high number of nicks compare with accident rates compared against mileages covered.

So the old bill are hot on issuing fixed penalties, that doesn't necessarily mean they have the worse drivers, it could simply be more enthusiastic coppers, statistics only.

Leicester drivers apparently jump lights regularly, which is hardly surprising as the city must have the most anti vehicle progress traffic light programming in the entire country, why the natives haven't done an Incredible Hulk and smashed every traffic light to pieces out of sheer frustration is a mystery.

I grew up in Leicester and lived there till age 18. I believe it is a very left wing right on council, the kind that think we should all travel on public transport, even when that means a commute goes from 45 minutes in a car to two hours by public transport each way, I cannot understand light changes that favour those who travel at illegal speeds, and penalise those who go at reasonable speeds. But I see that all too often.

The UK's "Worst Drivers" - Avant

That doesn't surprise me. Somerset is the most infuriating county to drive in. There are lots of narrow single-carriageway A-roads with bend after bend after bend, and with 30 mph limits slapped on anywhere there are more than about three houses together.

If you don't believe me, try driving from Wincanton to Bristol (A371 / A37). For the amount of traffic on them, roads like this are simply not fit for purpose.

I'm not condning bad driving, but you can see why it happens.

The UK's "Worst Drivers" - Josh Fisher

Yeah, to be honest I think that in some of these reports they should also take into account speed limits as well as traffic.

Now, obviously a person's driving should never change/become reckless regardless of whether or not the speed limits seem unfair and the traffic is bad, but this unfortunately isn't the case for a lot of people.

Simply put, if all roads in all areas were equal in terms of how they're governed, how the speed is limited, etc, I believe this report would be very different if you ask me!

J.