'Red' petrol - mss1tw

What is the situation regarding petrol used in plant equipment like generators, and also off-road vehicles?

Obviously there's no such thing a red petrol (Well, pre-mix 2 stroke perhaps!) but is there a way of claiming back duty paid?

Edited by mss1tw on 29/12/2017 at 10:25

'Red' petrol - galileo

Just after the war, 1940s, there was definitely 'red' petrol which was only allowed for 'essential uses', which in practice meant commercial vehicles. Not allowed for private cars, though I seem to recall the local farmers used it for milk delivery vans or otherwise had permits for it.

Rationing was still in force, once that ended 'red' petrol was discontinued (as far as I know.)

For off road gen sets etc, I would expect most are diesel, so red diesel/gas oil fuelled. Don't suppose chainsaws/disc cutters use enough volume to be worth the complication of a 'red' petrol system.

'Red' petrol - focussed

Assuming the question refers to a non- vat registered sole trader or partnership, the whole fuel cost including the vat component can be claimed on your self-assessment tax return as a business expense- if there is a certain percentage of private usage, just claim for the percentage that is for business use.

If it's not in the course of a business - forget it.

'Red' petrol - HGV ~ P Valentine

Red petrol still exists, and is dyed red as the name would suggest, as far as the gov is concerned no tax is paid on this petrol and it is used only for agrucultural vehicles, and generaters such as those found on refrigerated trucks.

if you look on the side of a truck wtih a fridge unit you will see a black fuel tank and a red tank, the red tank is to fuel the generater, and should have red diesel in it, you can however put in either, but you can only put in non red diesel in the fuel tank.

If they find recd diesel in the fuel tank then the vehicla and it contents will be conficscated immediatly, and you can only remove personal possessions. Both driver and company will face heavy fines and may even lose their ops licence,

It is not because they object to you using it, it is because no tax is paid on red diesel, and we all know how horrible gov gets when they don;t get their ound of tax flesh.

I know this because I got tested at heathrow ( first time in 30 years of driving ) and asked the guy all about it, always worth talking to thoese people to get he right info.

'Red' petrol - galileo

Red petrol still exists, and is dyed red as the name would suggest, as far as the gov is concerned no tax is paid on this petrol and it is used only for agrucultural vehicles, and generaters such as those found on refrigerated trucks.

More gormless and long winded comments from a self styled 'profesional'.

As I have explained earleir, 'red' petrol was discontinued when rationing ended after the Second War. It is no longer made (though I suppose you could put cochineal in ordinary petrol if you really wanted some)

We all know about red diesel and its permitted usage, I would be very interested for 'professional driver' to show us proof of a truck refrigerator unit that actually runs on petrol.

'Red' petrol - mss1tw

Assuming the question refers to a non- vat registered sole trader or partnership, the whole fuel cost including the vat component can be claimed on your self-assessment tax return as a business expense- if there is a certain percentage of private usage, just claim for the percentage that is for business use.

If it's not in the course of a business - forget it.

Thanks focussed - exactly that. Now I know it's something for the bookie to deal with.

'Red' petrol - thunderbird

When I was working as a non-VAT registered "sole trader" (still am according to the tax man when I checked earlier this year even though they did say I would need to sort it out if I trade again) I simply filled in the self assessment detailing business mileage and the approx amount of fuel used together with depreciation and maintenance.

Every little helps.

Edited by thunderbird on 29/12/2017 at 16:50

'Red' petrol - focussed

I ceased to be UK self-employed in 2009, when I escaped from the UK to France.

HMRC still send me hate mail insisting that I submit a self assessment tax declaration, despite being registered with the French impots as a French taxpayer.

I'm only too glad to file a UK tax return, gentlemen of the HMRC, because I get all the tax back from my UK share dividends, paid into my UK bank account within a couple of weeks of fiilng the return. So thank you for spending money on postage, reminding me to do the return!

Cheers! (raises a glass of excellent Bordeaux)

As you say Thunderbird - Every little helps!

Edited by focussed on 30/12/2017 at 00:05

'Red' petrol - Wackyracer

I simply filled in the self assessment detailing business mileage and the approx amount of fuel used together with depreciation and maintenance.

Every little helps.

Exactly what I do, I get tax relief of 45pence a mile for the first 10k and then 25 pence a mile thereafter.