Ford Mercedes Vauxhall - Car Scrappage Scheme - Steveieb

Interesteing article in the Sunday Times about a reader who has a 2002 Passat TDI with 180K miles which has taken him on holiday to France involving a 2000 mile trip, with no problems.

Real trade in value £100 but the car has £76 of fuel in the tank.

The reader has absolutely no interest in getting £2000 for his beloved car against a £22k Focus.

Cant say i blame him!

Ford Mercedes Vauxhall - Car Scrappage Scheme - Engineer Andy

Interesteing article in the Sunday Times about a reader who has a 2002 Passat TDI with 180K miles which has taken him on holiday to France involving a 2000 mile trip, with no problems.

Real trade in value £100 but the car has £76 of fuel in the tank.

The reader has absolutely no interest in getting £2000 for his beloved car against a £22k Focus.

Cant say i blame him!

Especially if the 'discounts' on the new cars are £1900 less than they were before the 'scheme' started! Besides, isn't their car a non-DPF diesel? Worth keeping if in good knick generally. £22k for a Focus is ridiculous. Cars are currently WAY overpriced, which doesn't help if you're getting a company car as the tax you pay is partly based on the list price of the car, not the 'price to change'. I agree that the owner should run their car into the ground before changing.

Ford Mercedes Vauxhall - Car Scrappage Scheme - RT

Even without the scrappage schemes, I'd be trying to get that sort of money off a new car and sell the old one privately.

It's car makers jumping on a band-wagon and making it look like a good deal when it isn't.

Ford Mercedes Vauxhall - Car Scrappage Scheme - Fishermans Bend

The gullible will succumb.

The gullible will succumb.

Ironically it'll probably be mostly the same idiots who 'scrapped' their (perfectly serviceable) petrol engined cars for a DPF diesel whilst doing an average mileage of 5k a year to the shops and back that'll probably be going for this one.

[facepalm]

Ford Mercedes Vauxhall - Car Scrappage Scheme - P3t3r

My car willl be 7 years old soon and I believe it is just within the age range. It achieves 55mpg (pretrol) with my weekly driving and will get 60+mpg on long runs. There's really no benefit to scrapping it.

I think it's disgusting that they would scrap a car like my one, is it a way to get poor people off the roads? My car would make a fantastic used car for somebody with a tighter budget (current value is approx £3000).

As other people have said though, I've always had more than £2000 discount on a car, even without a trade in, so it doesn't sound like a very good deal. Or maybe when you go there they would offer to scrap it for £2000 or give more discount if it's traded in?

Ford Mercedes Vauxhall - Car Scrappage Scheme - joegrundy

I had a look at the Hyundai scheme outlined on HJ home page.

The T&Cs specify that the discount is against the official MRRP. Looking at some other cars, I believe that the brokers who advertise here will generally obtain higher discounts than this scheme provides.

I had a look at the Hyundai scheme outlined on HJ home page.

The T&Cs specify that the discount is against the official MRRP. Looking at some other cars, I believe that the brokers who advertise here will generally obtain higher discounts than this scheme provides.

Definitely. When I was looking (not any more - I decided to keep my car for now, but for other reasons not related to the search) for a replacement for my 11yo Mazda3 I regulalry saw discounts of 20% on like-for-like replacements on many makes, not just Mazdas. This equated to about £3k - £4k off the MRRP (and that's BEFORE I sold my car), so a couple of Grand off that at the dealership. Personally, most 'scrappage' schemes are just that, schemes by manufacturers to get punters through the doors. Save far more money by hard bargaining at the dealer near the end of a sales period/reg change or go through a reputable broker/car supermarket, and THEN PXing your car, or selling privately or via auction/the likes of WBAC etc.

I also think scrappage schemes should only be for cars that are worth less than £500 and/or cannot be made roadworthy for less than £2k, as all that would do is encourage people to not replace 'consumable' parts such as clutches, brakes and tyres, which (with labour) could easily reach well over £1500 to replace, even on smaller cars.

Ford Mercedes Vauxhall - Car Scrappage Scheme - Andrew-T

I think it's disgusting that they would scrap a car like my one, is it a way to get poor people off the roads? My car would make a fantastic used car for somebody with a tighter budget (current value is approx £3000).

It's really a device to boost the car industry which is suffering a serious fall-off in sales. Of course the 'discount' is off list price, and will offer no better deals than otherwise.

I ignored the last scrappage scheme, and was also disgusted by some perfectly good (in some cases better than that) cars which were needlessly scrapped. Especially when everyone is encouraged to recycle.

Ford Mercedes Vauxhall - Car Scrappage Scheme - saltire69

It's really a device to boost the car industry which is suffering a serious fall-off in sales. Of course the 'discount' is off list price, and will offer no better deals than otherwise.

I ignored the last scrappage scheme, and was also disgusted by some perfectly good (in some cases better than that) cars which were needlessly scrapped. Especially when everyone is encouraged to recycle.

If the car industry is suffering then why when after asking dealers to call me back for a price dont they bother ?, i am looking for a decent price for a new focus for the wife i tried carwow but they overinflate the prices in the first place and most other places seem uninterested .

If ford scap scheme was on the current pro mo prices then i would get rid of my 2005 shogun sport as they would give me 4250 for it but since its against full rrp then its not worth it .

Ford Mercedes Vauxhall - Car Scrappage Scheme - Wayne Dibbley

No incentive to buy a 'nearly new' car.

Crazy to buy new even with a scrappage scheme, you loose whatever you save, and more soon as you drive it home!