n/a - European Speeding Fines - New Laws - csgmart

www.express.co.uk/news/world/839661/driving-speedi...t

"The Brussels directive covers eight motoring offences, giving EU member states the power to track down UK motorists to hand them fines.

But British police cannot pursue European drivers caught speeding on UK roads because currently the system only works one-way."

n/a - European Speeding Fines - New Laws - ExA35Owner

Well - the answer is to get the UK system working. What's wrong is that EU drivers in the UK are apparently able to break the law with impunity. What is not wrong is that UK drivers breaking the law elsewhere in the EU can now be caught and punished. What's also not wrong (see the article) is that if you choose to drive in another country it's your responsibility to inform yourself of the local laws.

This is a system that would need re-negotiating at Brexit and I'm all for cross-border enforcement in principle. The practicalities may make it difficult.

It's occurred to me that with ANPR it should be possible to identify overseas-registered vehicles as they arrive at ferry ports. If the systems were in place then it would be possible to take action against vehicles whose drivers had been observed or photographed committing offences.

n/a - European Speeding Fines - New Laws - Terry W

We should simply decline to pursue EU fines on UK motorists unless there is a working reciprocal agreement in place.

n/a - European Speeding Fines - New Laws - focussed

I can't say that I am that upset about this situation.

(French resident with French licence)

But I rarely go to the UK - only when I have to.

n/a - European Speeding Fines - New Laws - Vitesse6

Daily express stirring up brexit again. Simple answer is to read up on the rules for the country you are going to and then stick to them. It isn't rocket science (Best leave that to Kim Jong Un and Donald Trump, although if we do that we may not need to worry about speed limits or anything else)

n/a - European Speeding Fines - New Laws - Middleman

This is not as it seems.

In many countries in the rest of the EU responsibility for speeding offences rests with the Registered Keeper of the vehicle. So the Registered Keeper of a UK registered car caught speeding on the continent will face action for the speeding offence (regardless whether they were driving or not)..

In the UK this is not the case and the police must obtain details of the driver at the time of the offence. To do this they first contact the Registered Keeper who (in short, without going into too much detail) has an obligation to name the driver. If he fails to do so he faces a separate (more serious) offence of failing to provide driver's details under S172 of theRoad Traffic Act. This approach would not work when (say) a French driver was caught speeding. in the UK. Section 172 contains a number of provisions, requirements and exceptions which would simply not work with a foreign registered vehicle so action for speeding against such foreign drivers would not succeed.

n/a - European Speeding Fines - New Laws - Mike H

Certainly here in Austria, and perhaps in most of the other EU countreis, the registration of the car is linked to the owner, not the car as in the UK, which is the source of the problem I believe. So if I buy a new car, the registration number (and phyical plates, unless I want to replace the possibly tatty old ones) of my old car goes on to the new car, and the buyer of the old car transfers his number on etc.

Another consideration is that registration numbers are linked to my address, so if I move to a different registration area, I get a new registration number. The plates are issued by the insurance companies, so the existence of a plate indicates that the car is insured. Additionally, the insurance company collects the equivalent of excise duty on behalf of the government. Ergo, if the car has a number plate, it's taxed and insured. No plate means it's not road legal.

And you can have two or more cars sharing the same registration number, but you only get two plates, so only one can be on the road at any one time (the plates are designed to be easily transferrable). Insurance is paid on both cars, but only one set of road tax is paid (the most expensive of the cars). It's a good system which seems to work well.

Edited by Mike H on 12/08/2017 at 00:21

n/a - European Speeding Fines - New Laws - csgmart

Interesting.

n/a - European Speeding Fines - New Laws - Avant

Presumably Austrians and others don't share the Brits' need to show off how new their car is, or at least newer than their neighbours'. The system as described by Mike makes a lot of sense, but I suspect it wouldn't go down well over here.