Subaru Outback diesel - glow plug problem - Richard Borrie

The engine warning light on my 59 Outback diesel has come on. The dealer has diagnosed that all 4 glow plugs have failed, but is unable to get them out. Apparently if they break during the extraction it will be expensive to fix. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Edited by Richard Borrie on 30/06/2017 at 16:54

Subaru Outback diesel - glow plug problem - RobJP

Glow plugs are notoriously difficult to remove, and regularly seize in place. That applies to most vehicles, not just Subaru.

However, I'm surprised that all 4 have failed. I'd be looking to get a second opinion.

Subaru Outback diesel - glow plug problem - gordonbennet

However, I'm surprised that all 4 have failed. I'd be looking to get a second opinion.

Me too.

Subaru Outback diesel - glow plug problem - elekie&a/c doctor
No need to be surprised,they have all done the same amount of work but have probably failed at different times.If the car runs ok without them,then I would leave well alone.You could be opening a can of worms trying to get them out.
Subaru Outback diesel - glow plug problem - Richard Borrie

Thanks for all the comments. Yes, I suspect they have failed progressively and when the last one failed the engine warning was triggered.

The engine starts with no problem at the moment, but we got this car to help us out of the ice and snow we get in the winter around here, and the garage were not sure what would happen in cold weather!

Subaru Outback diesel - glow plug problem - madf

Subaru dealers have a special tool to extract them...as it's a common problem..

tinyurl.com/y7n6f8zz

tinyurl.com/ycnzlv3j

Edited by madf on 01/07/2017 at 06:55

Subaru Outback diesel - glow plug problem - RichardW

It's a problem on almost all modern diesels - the plugs are very long and thing,and the end sticks in the head, such that as you try and unscrew it, the shaft winds up and the end of the plug snaps off in the head. The remnants can be very difficult to remove! The 'special tool' is probably just a very low torque impact driver- the pulses allow the plug to screwout without the end grabbing and twisting off. Nothing's guaranteed though...!